LG Customer Support - not happy

handsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my issue and experience.

My new LG 42LW650T arrived last month and since having it I've noticed bad backlight coverage at the top centre of the screen - even my wife noticed it!
I took a couple of photos:
Photo1
Photo2

After calling LG UK Support I was advised to email them across and was given a reference number.

I didn't hear back from them for a day or so, so went on live chat and asked for an update. They said that their techs would take a look and call me. They never called me, so I went on live chat again this morning asking for an update. I've attached the transcript of that chat.

Incredibly they claim that this backlight issue is within spec and that I should be watching a normal screen and seeing if the issue is present there! They refused to send an engineer out, and then asked for more photos.

Am I being over the top here? Surely it's clear to see the backlight issues with my original 2 photos!?

Any comments from forum members or LG UK would be greatly appreciated.
Not a happy bunny right now :thumbsdow

Attachments

• LG UK Support transcript.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 195
handsy said:
Here's my issue and experience.

My new LG 42LW650T arrived last month and since having it I've noticed bad backlight coverage at the top centre of the screen - even my wife noticed it!
I took a couple of photos:
Photo1
Photo2

After calling LG UK Support I was advised to email them across and was given a reference number.

I didn't hear back from them for a day or so, so went on live chat and asked for an update. They said that their techs would take a look and call me. They never called me, so I went on live chat again this morning asking for an update. I've attached the transcript of that chat.

Incredibly they claim that this backlight issue is within spec and that I should be watching a normal screen and seeing if the issue is present there! They refused to send an engineer out, and then asked for more photos.

Am I being over the top here? Surely it's clear to see the backlight issues with my original 2 photos!?

Any comments from forum members or LG UK would be greatly appreciated.
Not a happy bunny right now :thumbsdow

If you're not happy, ask them to send you the spec (maybe you can prove to them that it ISN'T in spec or that the 'spec' clearly isn't of a reasonable standard....
Good luck

That's edge lit isn't it?

Seems a common flaw with the tech, I can see the darker patch at the top in the centre, I assume that's what you mean.
But photo 1 seems to show darker patches all round the sides..

I've returned 2 monitors for being like that, directly with the retailer, as once you go to LG or the manufacturer, you pretty much have to stick with what they say(that is, if you got a repair or service from them), but as you haven't yet, try contacting the retailer and see what they would do for you.

My issues were a solid area at the bottom, and almost fingertip size blotches all along the top of my monitor.

OK guys, thanks so far for your comments. I bought it from pixmania, and from what I read on their site I now have to go to the manufacturer for support :(
Fingers crossed they see the light (no pun intended) and help me out

handsy said:
OK guys, thanks so far for your comments. I bought it from pixmania, and from what I read on their site I now have to go to the manufacturer for support :(

ABSOLUTELY No way!! Your contract is with the RETAILER to sort it out for you! Don't let them fob you off to LG!!

Since its quite a new TV, I think you should contact your supplier. Secondly, you should take more pictures and post them to the LG customer services and thirdly, if you used your credit card for the payment, you should contact with the credit card company and try to get refund from them. But they often cleverly put the customers off.

oh yah, lastly, keep updating us....

Good luck man

This is directly from their TOS regarding 24" and above sized tv's
If you contact them, do not inform them of your contact with LG, yet :

TV (24" & over) faults / service requirements - contact the Tech Guys on 0844 800 6020 Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm, Sat 9am - 6pm, Sun 9am - 5:30pm

To qualify for a refund or exchange, the product must be:- In “as new” condition, and- Complete, with any accessories and free gifts offered with it (and, if possible, the original box and packaging). This warranty does not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear. Any refund due to a fault or other defect will include a refund of the applicable delivery charge. We will also pay for our costs of collecting goods for replacement or refund. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery only.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/conditions.html#cgv_12

There's also some extra assurance from something about 'distance selling' or ONLINE purchasing, but I'm not sure exactly what that means!!

I have an update: I called Pixmania direct and they gave me KnowHow's number as they look after tech support for Pixmania!
KnowHow asked for my order details and TV serial number which I gave them and they then booked me a courier to pickup my TV (Weds, 6th June). So this is a lot better news :)
However, they've neither said whether they will repair it or replace it, and that it will take a minimum 7 days.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of fault and repair/replacement? I'm just after a feel for what to expect.

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of fault and repair/replacement? I'm just after a feel for what to expect.

1. Expect the tv to be re-delivered, fixed and in pristine condition, or replaced, with a new one.

2. They send it back, repaired, but scratched/marked, or dented, and deny it all.

3. They refuse to do anything, citing, "it's within spec", and may charge you for redelivery, and it may come back in the same condition it left you, or it may not.

4. They contact you, telling you it's uneconomical to repair/replace, and offer a refund.

That's a selection of 4 ways this can turn out, it's all about how the dice roll.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom