• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG Curved OLED TVs might release this year.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
No promises

They may have had a few false starts in their bid to make OLED the next generation TV technology but we guess that's what comes of being at the vanguard.

LG are, however, confident they can really get going in 2013 and, during a press visit our own Phil Hinton is currently attending, confirmed that the revelatory curved OLED TVs, first shown at CES 2013, will be coming soon.

attachment.php

An LG executive confirmed during a UK press Q&A session that, "I can't tell you the accurate timing but I think soon we will see the curved type of OLED TV in the market."

LG has delayed orders of it's 'regular' 55-inch OLED panels but they're still due to launch in the UK imminently.

Attachments

• oledphil.jpg
    oledphil.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 31,943

vaktmestern

Banned
Think this may be the net big thing. Curved pj screens been a hit for years ads more deept to the picure..
Loved the look on this on the ces vids really want one.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I can confirm that LG stated the curved OLED screens will make it to market at some point this year, with the normal 55 inch now in Harrods for pre-order. However, there are lots of issues to consider with a curved TV over a curved projections screen.
There will be a full article containing all the information (and images) from my trip here to Seoul in the next few days.

vaktmestern

Banned
Fantastic cant wait to read that article.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
I'm really scratching my head on this one, though as ever I'm prepared to be convinced. The whole idea of a curved cinema screen is (in short) the edges are the same distance from your eyes and the projector.

As there's no projector, and very, very few people will be sat the correct distance from their telly - not to mention anyone sat off centre for whom the picture will potentially be hideously distorted - I just don't see the overall advantage.

If the picture isn't distorted for those sat off centre because the curve is so slight, then how can it possible be an advantage to those sat in the sweet spot?

Steve W

Last edited:

Nevaborn

Pecker said:
I'm really scratching my head on this one, though as ever I'm prepared to be convinced. The whole idea of a curved cinema screen is (in short) the edges are the same distance from your eyes and the projector.

As there's no projector, and very, very few people will be sat the correct distance from their telly - not to mention anyone sat off centre for whom the picture will potentially be hideously distorted - I just don't see the overall advantage.

If the picture isn't distorted for those sat off centre because the curve is so slight, then how can it possible be an advantage to those sat in the sweet spot?

Steve W

My views exactly. Its something will need to see to believe in.

vaktmestern

Banned
My views exactly. Its something will need to see to believe in.

No as a oled has perfect view angel u can almost look 90degrees at its side n still se a clear picture.

Played around with a curved screen sum years back on my old optoma hd80 pj and liked the added sense of dept in on a 2d movie cant wait to see this live.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
vaktmestern said:
No as a oled has perfect view angel u can almost look 90degrees at its side n still se a clear picture.

Played around with a curved screen sum years back on my old optoma hd80 pj and liked the added sense of dept in on a 2d movie cant wait to see this live.

I think you've misunderstood. It's not that the brightness will drop outside a certain angle like on LCD TVs.

One of the ideas of a curved screen is that with any screen the edges will be further away from you than the centre. The curve brings the she's a little closer to you in compensation.

That's fine in a large venue, but in a living room you're going to have people sat way off axis and very different distances away.

Steve W

johngerard

Just what is the point of a curved TV? I hear all the arguments about it bringing the edges closer to your eyeballs and all that, but in a living room with a telly? Hardly worth it. I can see the point maybe in the Empire Leicester Sq, or the old Odeon at Marble Arch (before they chopped it up) that had the biggest screen in Europe...but seriously...

Another gimmick, like 3D.

vaktmestern

Banned
And the news that they are going to make larger oled curved screens than 55" will add to the effect.

steveng

Standard Member
Curved is great for a very large screen, a gimmick with a 55".
But the reason its a mistake is the controversy, here is the holy grail,finally
a no compromise tech with all of the bells and whistles, black level,
flat as a piece of paper, great color, and everybodies talking about the
curve in the screen!!!
All I can say is I hope there is a flat version, I am from the tube generation,
and recall sets that weighed a ton just to get the screen flat, to get rid of the geometric distortion.
Curved is great for a 30 ft screen, but just because you can bend a oled
screen is no reason to.
We'll see video cut and twisted into all kind of bizarre shapes soon
enough, when a 30ft (ten meter) screen is affordable, then lets talk curved.
Okay?:cool:

vaktmestern

Banned
Affordble oled? Good luck with that wait

steveng

Standard Member
sorry for the long wait.
Anyway I remember going to a guys house to do some install, and he was watching a sharp LCD on his kitchen counter, about 20 in or so, told me he paid 1500 (U.S).
And me, I have a 51" Sammy plasma, 3d, net (no apps, just upgrade),
720p, 383 bucks, because Walmart is phasing out plasma.
So the wait for affordable OLED may not be as long as you think.
And when they finally get OLED PAINT:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom