LG C9 + Xbox Series X Flickering

Sptz

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone with an LG C9 and XSX. I've been using it with the following settings:

• HDMI Port 1 - using following cable Amazon product ASIN B08BTXZGK7
  • As seen in Vincent's video on how he fixed flickering with an RTX 3080 I believe.
  • PC Input
  • 4K 120hz
  • Bit Depth: 10bit or 8bit (can't see any difference)
  • Color Space: Auto (Standard)
  • Low Black Level (SDR and HDR)
  • Ycc 4:2:2 OFF
  • VRR ON
  • Tone Mapping: HGIG
All as per recommended by Vincent Teoh.

Had loads of issues regarding mangenta flickering and glitches all around, most of the time they were very occasional and not a massive nuisance UNTIL I decided to play Man of Medan, this game should be a benchmark for these issues, even in the menu everything was flickering, the black bars were raised (raised blacks) the entire screen flickering like mad.
Changed Refresh Rate to 60hz and it fixed the flickering but the blacks were raised still, looked more grey than black. So I decided to change input to Console Mode and Refresh Rate back to 120hz and wow.... Blacks are now fully black plus no flickering, everything looks insanely good.

I'm so annoyed at all these issues, I don't care if it's not 4:4:4 chroma, it looks better and there's no glitches all over the place and blacks are full black now... If it wasn't for this game I'd have kept the same settings and thank god I found it which prompted me to change it. I wish I could use PC Input but it's not working for me.

I don't understand why this is happening, what is the exact cause but this is my experience and Man of Meda being such a dark game and apparently picky, it shows off any issues even just hanging around in the Menu, so I'd suggest to try it out and post your results here? It's free on Game Pass.

On the subject of raised blacks, Man of Medan might not be a great test for issues, I remember playing that on my xbox one x recently on my CX and the blacks were raised, I was in game mode as well, so many variables.

On the subject of raised blacks, Man of Medan might not be a great test for issues, I remember playing that on my xbox one x recently on my CX and the blacks were raised, I was in game mode as well, so many variables.

Whilst that may be true it did showcase INSANE flickering. Like I've never seen, no stop, even just hanging around in the menu. Do you own an XSX?

Whilst that may be true it did showcase INSANE flickering. Like I've never seen, no stop, even just hanging around in the menu. Do you own an XSX?

Yes, but I have the CX, I use the same settings as you stated from HDTVtest, I have only played Assassins Creed Valhalla so far, that has raised blacks but I believe that is the game itself as everyone says the same for that game, not noticed any flickering in game, maybe a little on the loading screen I think.
Until I test some more games I will keep it the same, but if I do get issues thats not game related I will try switching back to game mode.

Yes, but I have the CX, I use the same settings as you stated from HDTVtest, I have only played Assassins Creed Valhalla so far, that has raised blacks but I believe that is the game itself as everyone says the same for that game, not noticed any flickering in game, maybe a little on the loading screen I think.
Until I test some more games I will keep it the same, but if I do get issues thats not game related I will try switching back to game mode.

In theory using PC Input just enabled full 4:4:4 Chroma but from what I've read, zero games are mastered in 4:4:4 but rather 4:2:2?

In theory, not sure if you know this but if someone does, please do chime in. If you use Game Console Input, and UNCHECK Allow YCC 4:2:2 what will that output? Will still output 4:4:4?

In theory using PC Input just enabled full 4:4:4 Chroma but from what I've read, zero games are mastered in 4:4:4 but rather 4:2:2?

In theory, not sure if you know this but if someone does, please do chime in. If you use Game Console Input, and UNCHECK Allow YCC 4:2:2 what will that output? Will still output 4:4:4?

Any HDMI games console from past 15 years may be outputting chroma 444 but the TV resolves it to something like 422 internally on most TV's so games built for consoles have always taken this into account. It's why text or UI elements don't look awful in a game console but can on a PC.

444 is really not necessary for game consoles in my opinion, it matters more for PC users and the PC mode on LG's has its own quirks and issues.

Also LG is probably expecting most console owners to be using the game mode not PC mode so any compatibility issues LG fixes may apply only to game mode.

Last edited:
Anyone with an LG C9 and XSX. I've been using it with the following settings:

• HDMI Port 1 - using following cable Amazon product ASIN B08BTXZGK7
  • As seen in Vincent's video on how he fixed flickering with an RTX 3080 I believe.
  • PC Input
  • 4K 120hz
  • Bit Depth: 10bit or 8bit (can't see any difference)
  • Color Space: Auto (Standard)
  • Low Black Level (SDR and HDR)
  • Ycc 4:2:2 OFF
  • VRR ON
  • Tone Mapping: HGIG
All as per recommended by Vincent Teoh.

Had loads of issues regarding mangenta flickering and glitches all around, most of the time they were very occasional and not a massive nuisance UNTIL I decided to play Man of Medan, this game should be a benchmark for these issues, even in the menu everything was flickering, the black bars were raised (raised blacks) the entire screen flickering like mad.
Changed Refresh Rate to 60hz and it fixed the flickering but the blacks were raised still, looked more grey than black. So I decided to change input to Console Mode and Refresh Rate back to 120hz and wow.... Blacks are now fully black plus no flickering, everything looks insanely good.

I'm so annoyed at all these issues, I don't care if it's not 4:4:4 chroma, it looks better and there's no glitches all over the place and blacks are full black now... If it wasn't for this game I'd have kept the same settings and thank god I found it which prompted me to change it. I wish I could use PC Input but it's not working for me.

I don't understand why this is happening, what is the exact cause but this is my experience and Man of Meda being such a dark game and apparently picky, it shows off any issues even just hanging around in the Menu, so I'd suggest to try it out and post your results here? It's free on Game Pass.
Do everything you did in your post, then go to general settings, then turn Live Motion Plus off, boom there u go

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom