LG C9/X or Samsung Q85/90

PBR

Hey....... I know there are threads and threads of this info but I wanted some final analysis before I make a decison. I'll most likely be wanting to go for a 65-75" (77) TV.

I had a Samsung UE65JS9000 which developed light bleed issues and as such John Lewis have opted to replace it under their 5 year warranty - awesome! They made an initial offer of a direct swap for a Samsung 65" Q85R or alternatively the value of that against another TV (currently £1599 on JL website).

This got me thinking about an alternative. I'll be honest the oneConnect box is very handy as I have my wall tracked for the oneConnect box cable and would really prefer not to track the wall again! I'd probably have room for multiple HDMI Cables down through the conduit I have in there but... safety first! The OneConnect box would represent an "easier" change let's say.

On to viewing...

Primary viewing:
SkyQ.
Netflix app on SkyQ.
Plex via FireStick 4K
MrMc via FireStick 4K

I don't see my viewing changing much at all. I have my Samsung calibrated using the settings from AVF and it's utterly fantastic IMHO. Source wise this will all remain the same.

Gaming:
Xbox One X

This is likely to change in 6-8 months depending on launch dates of PS5/Xbox Series X. I will have no intention of hooking up a PC etc. It'll be console gaming only.

Room:
It's in my front room which means I do have sunlight glare at times. I had read on the LG they are super reflective panels and this could be an issue. I do have curtains/blinds but obviously I'm not a major fan of keeping them closed 24x7 :) The current Samsung is adequate during most times of the day and is nice and bright/contrasty to compete with it.

I've been weighing up the LG C9/CX -- probably swaying to the C9 for the fact it's cheaper and largely the consensus seems that the CX isn't a "big" upgrade. As for the current Q85/90R Samsung I really have no idea... forums here report some issues with motion blur etc and I hate that a lot.

Thanks for taking the time and offering any insight also, I do appreciate it!

Dodgexander

The C9 is the best option from purely a picture quality/future proof perspective since it comes with HDMI 2.1 ports which the Samsung lacks.

You will have to control glare more than the Samsung, and with certain content especially glare is going to be worse than your current TV, so its really up to you whether you want to bother to have to do that more for the sake of a better overall TV.

PBR

I was hoping you would reply @Dodgexander! Thanks for the insight. The LG C9 seems the purchase of choice.

I’m worried my conduit isn’t enough for al my HDMI points and my current TV is “picture hung” and I think the LG ports are mostly outward facing aren’t they?? This is why the OneConnect is handy!

PBR

I do not. I’m much of an audiophile to be honest. I’ve very good headset for my gaming but TV sound is whatever really... I use my default sound on my Samsung UE65JS9000. Stupid question but there is no OneConnect box for the LG, right? :(

my current setup might have me stuck with the Sammy and a OneConnect then!

PBR

No, there's no one connect box.
If you go for the premium LG W9 OLED you get a separate box for connections similar to the Samsung Q85R and up but its a box that also houses a designated soundbar, so its 2 in 1.
What’s your thoughts on that option?ahh. It’s fortunes more :)

Dodgexander

What’s your thoughts on that option?ahh. It’s fortunes more :)
It's almost twice the price of the C9 at 65 and 50% more at 77". Not good value at all but that is the kind of money you pay for premium models.

Picture quality is the same.

PBR

Well that is less than ideal for sure... I think I may be stuck with the Samsung. I say “stuck” it’s still a great performing TV. Should I opt up for the Q90R? Or stick with their swap for a Q85R? I wanted to say budget isn’t that constrained but I don’t think I’m willing to do double for a W9.

Dodgexander

The Q90R has better dimming so HDR will be better when you use it. If you can afford it and want to pay extra for that then go for it. Its probably not as good value, but thats how it goes once you start to hit higher end TVs.

Btw you'll want to move away from watching apps via Sky Q, at least until they support HDR. If you pair a new TV with a Netflix plan you'll want to use your firestick or the integrated app to get HDR.

There's another reason that going for the Q90R may be beneficial, Samsung have tweaked its HDMI ports to support a 4k at 120hz VRR signal, they aren't true HDMI 2.1 ports like the LG but it may come in use in the future for next gen console gaming. The Q85R by comparison can only do 4k at 60hz VRR.

PBR

@Dodgexander I really appreciate your input. I think I'll have to stay with the Samsung as the OneConnect box is ideal for me so it looks like Q90R might be the one. Thanks again!

I didn't realise that about HDR via Netflix/SkyQ. That's good to know. Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom