LG C9 sound cuts out

GaryPSU

Established Member
Reaction score
LG C9 sound cuts out briefly, but regularly, when using apps (Netflix, etc.) via ARC, but does not with internal speakers. Live TV is fine via ARC. Receiver is an older Sony. I’m using a quality HDMI cable.

LG C9 sound cuts out briefly, but regularly, when using apps (Netflix, etc.) via ARC, but does not with internal speakers. Live TV is fine via ARC. Receiver is an older Sony. I’m using a quality HDMI cable.

In WebOS try forcing it to stereo only.
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = PCM
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = PCM
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = disabled

If it doesn't drop then that narrows it down to the passing of Dolby audio over ARC on the LG which is a common problem.

I‘ve been considering upgrading my older receiver anyway. If I were to buy a receiver with EARC, would that solve the problem? Or does LG have a problem with EARC too.

In WebOS try forcing it to stereo only.
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = PCM
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = PCM
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = disabled

If it doesn't drop then that narrows it down to the passing of Dolby audio over ARC on the LG which is a common problem.
I‘ve been considering upgrading my older receiver anyway. If I were to buy a receiver with EARC, would that solve the problem? Or does LG have a problem with EARC too.

Its not possible to say with certainty so its a maybe, the problem as users have discovered that the way LG codes in audio support within their TV is incorrect, how other hardware reacts to this depends upon that hardware.

This device called the sharc is an eARC bridge for older sound systems it includes compensation for LG's eARC and is firmware updateable so as LG change something it can match, it's not a cheap device but it costs much less than a new receiver.

Its not possible to say with certainty so its a maybe, the problem as users have discovered that the way LG codes in audio support within their TV is incorrect, how other hardware reacts to this depends upon that hardware.

This device called the sharc is an eARC bridge for older sound systems it includes compensation for LG's eARC and is firmware updateable so as LG change something it can match, it's not a cheap device but it costs much less than a new receiver.
I appreciate the answer. I was planning to update my receiver for newer Dolby coding. Does anyone know if the LG C9 eARC to the Sony STR-DH790 (also eARC) has any audio issues when using the built in apps like Netflix and Prime Video? My C9 is Ethernet wired to my router.

Can anyone who has the Sony STR-DH790 with eARC confirm that LG C9 apps do not have audio problems using LG eARC sound out? Netflix, in particular, is my concern before purchasing this receiver.

Will a Sony STR-DH790 receiver with eARC work well with the OLED C9? Right now I’m connecting to an older Sony receiver with ARC and the audio drops out briefly but frequently with apps (Netflix, Prime, etc.) and also when streaming from my iPad. However, my cable audio is fine using the ARC out from the TV.

You shouldn't be getting audio dropouts with your existing set-up.

Are your devices connected using Premium Certified HDMI leads (with hologram and QR code on their packaging).

ccpLabel.png

Cheers

You shouldn't be getting audio dropouts with your existing set-up.

Are your devices connected using Premium Certified HDMI leads (with hologram and QR code on their packaging).

ccpLabel.png

Cheers
I don’t recall what was on the packaging. For all connections I changed to “Cable Matters 3-Pack 48Gbps Ultra HD 8K HDMI Cable with 8K 120Hz Video and HDR Support“ with no improvement. The audio from my cable box, which is connected with HDMI to my receiver, has no problems using the ARC connection. I would buy a new receiver with eARC if that would solve the problemm.

Unfortunately, for too many years HDMI cable manufacturers and suppliers have been able to get away with stating any old technical rubbish about their products. And have also been able to get away with charging huge prices for the privilege!

In reality, none of these cables will have undergone any form of official testing, verification and certification by HDMI.org or their affiliates.

Before spending huge sums of money on a new receiver, I recommend you buy some 'Premium Certified' HDMI leads (with hologram and QR code on their packaging) first...

Unfortunately, for too many years HDMI cable manufacturers and suppliers have been able to get away with stating any old technical rubbish about their products. And have also been able to get away with charging huge prices for the privilege!

In reality, none of these cables will have undergone any form of official testing, verification and certification by HDMI.org or their affiliates.

Before spending huge sums of money on a new receiver, I recommend you buy some 'Premium Certified' HDMI leads (with hologram and QR code on their packaging) first...
Thank you. I will try that.

Is this OK?

Attachments

• 42DA25DF-C95E-416D-899C-0EE71E5307F7.jpeg
    42DA25DF-C95E-416D-899C-0EE71E5307F7.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 115
Yep...

But you would only ever need 'Ultra High Speed Certified' HDMI leads if you have a 'high-spec' gaming device. Connecting to any other type of device that supports 4K UHD video (at up-to 60Hz with BT.2020 colour space along with all current forms of HDR) requires 'Premium Certified' HDMI leads...

Yep...

But you would only ever need 'Ultra High Speed Certified' HDMI leads if you have a 'high-spec' gaming device. Connecting to any other type of device that supports 4K UHD video (at up-to 60Hz with BT.2020 colour space along with all current forms of HDR) requires 'Premium Certified' HDMI leads...
I‘m hoping that this fancy cable would stop the audio dropouts when using the LG apps through arc to my receiver. It wasn’t delivered yet. I‘m willing to buy a receiver with eARC, but not if the audio problem isn’t any better.

I‘m hoping that this fancy cable would stop the audio dropouts when using the LG apps through arc to my receiver. It wasn’t delivered yet. I‘m willing to buy a receiver with eARC, but not if the audio problem isn’t any better.
Any genuine 'Certified' HDMI lead, is far less likely to give you issues because it's been designed, constructed and tested to meet all the standards created by the organisation that oversees the actual HDMI specifications.

For more information why your HDMI leads need to be 'Premium' (or 'Ultra High Speed') certified look here: PREMIUM HDMI CABLE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM

After receiving the HDMI lead, scan the QR code to confirm that the lead is genuine...

Cheers

Any genuine 'Certified' HDMI lead, is far less likely to give you issues because it's been designed, constructed and tested to meet all the standards created by the organisation that oversees the actual HDMI specifications.

For more information why your HDMI leads need to be 'Premium' (or 'Ultra High Speed') certified look here: PREMIUM HDMI CABLE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM

After receiving the HDMI lead, scan the QR code to confirm that the lead is genuine...

Cheers
Thank you. I will scan the QR code and hook up the cable tomorrow.

I have the CX not the C9 But with my x3700h there are no drop outs.

I have the B9 and I just got a Sony HT-G700 soundbar. Audio cuts out on the TV apps and on live tv channels. Audio kicks in about 2-3 seconds after starting playback on internal apps (Prime Video, Disney+ etc). If you pause/resume playback it takes 2-3 seconds for audio to come back. It’s fine on HDMI inputs though. E-arc and passthrough set on Arc tv settings.

Netflix works fine if you change Digital Audio Out to Auto but all the other apps still have issue.

I have the B9 and I just got a Sony HT-G700 soundbar. Audio cuts out on the TV apps and on live tv channels. Audio kicks in about 2-3 seconds after starting playback on internal apps (Prime Video, Disney+ etc). If you pause/resume playback it takes 2-3 seconds for audio to come back. It’s fine on HDMI inputs though. E-arc and passthrough set on Arc tv settings.

Netflix works fine if you change Digital Audio Out to Auto but all the other apps still have issue.
So now I wonder if it is a 9 thing? I have an E9 but it is broken I Cant test it with this avr and when it worked I didnt have an avr.

So now I wonder if it is a 9 thing? I have an E9 but it is broken I Cant test it with this avr and when it worked I didnt have an avr.
I ordered a Sony receiver with eARC. Hopefully it will work properly with my C9. I can always return it.

I believe the issue is with the G700 itself. I had one for a few months and got daily drop outs and the delay in the audio coming in whenever say you changed channel on Sky or started something on one of the apps with a CX. Eventually got fed up I brought it back and replaced it with a Samsung and haven't had a single drop out since. Even the oft discussed Sky Q drop out issue disappeared with the new bar.

The drop outs would occur if watching something on Sky and you forwarded and rewound, it wouldn't always pick up the sound track on restart, changing channels, sometimes switching apps to watch something different. It would never drop out mid program, so it was obviously an issue with the G700 dropping the audio from the TV and/or not knowing what to do when it restarted. Same with the delay in the sound kicking in when you started something, it was pretty slow in figuring out how to decode the sound.

I was never happy with the G700 overall and on these forums a couple of people have brought them back or replaced them.

Last edited:
I have a LG B8 and a Yamaha RX-V681 . Dropouts only appeared on all the apps a Google Chromecast with TV. I changed the sound output settings on the Chromecast to manual. Enabled Dolby Digital and disabled Dolby Digital Plus. No dropouts since. Touch wood. Hope this info helps someone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom