LG C9 sound cuts out

There are AVR's that you may be able to pick up second hand like the Yamaha RX-V483 which would do 5.1 and eARC just fine but as you rightly say, due to current shortages then they are not as readily available as they normally would be.

You might blame your current situation on 'company economy', though I'm not so sure if it is even possible to retro fit things like HDR10 with a software update to old AVR's like your A3030.

Ideally your AVR should be able to handle the media you are playing so you should be able to plug directly into the AVR and then output to the TV. The simple fact is that technology has moved on and so have your requirements; you now want to play HDR files but in 2013 when your costly A3030 was introduced HDR didn't really exist and it wasn't till ~2016 that we started to see 4K HDR players etc.

I think it is more of case of your requirements increasing rather than the built in obsolescence that we too often see.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, 1080p, 720p, 4K, 8K, HDR and so on are all picture features and I get why I need to buy a new TV even if it sets me back $3000. The question is why do I need to spend another $3000 on the AVR to get it all working? I am still just using regular 5.1 sound, nothing special. The sound will not get better even after spending the additional $3000. Yes I know, its the way its built, but why is it built this way? Reasons? Yep there is but could it have been avoided? Is there a way where we all did not have to throw our otherwise full working $3000 AVR in the bin each time there is a new picture feature that we want to upgrade to? I want to believe so.

If we break down a AVR, what are we really paying for? Is it the amplifier? The quality of the sound? Calibration features? Picture features? A $500 AVR can obviously handle about the same picture futures as a $3000 AVR so why is there a difference in price? Most would say quality of sound and hardware I think? What does the 1080p, 720p, 4K, 8K and so on really mean for a AVR? Nothing really, its all about extracting the sound out of the signal and sending the same incoming signal to outgoing. No manipulation is done, right? So when upgrading the AVR we are really throwing a way a product that are more then capable of handling the incoming sound but it is not able to repack some of the picture features to outgoing signal. To me it sounds like a big waste but I'm no expert obviously, maybe there is more to it? I get that 4K, 8K and so on demand much higher data transfer but is it really a AVR problem?

Im no audiophile so is it possible to buy a setup that looks a bit like this :

Source → Blackbox → TV
---------------↓
-----------surround amplifier → Speakers

If the blackbox was a HDFury, would that solve all the problems as long as the HDFury was up to date with latest technology? I get that we still need a standard between the surround amplifier and the HD Fury but that should not need to be updated vary often right?

I will try to connect my old Yamaha tomorrow and see if there might be a bug in the current Yamaha.

Last edited:
Have now re-connected the system like this

Nvidia Shield > HDMI > LG OLED C8 > Optic > Yamaha RX-A3030

Its a bit strange but so far I haven't been able to reproduce the sound drop and the HDR is working fine. I suspect that the sound drop will show but it might take 40-60 min before it occurs. I will try this setup out, if the sound drop appears again I will try the older Yamaha Receiver.

Nintendo Switch > HDMI > Yamaha RX-A3030 > HDMI > LG OLED C8

Optic cabel can´t handle PCM 5.1 so in this case I need to first go the to Receiver, so far so good.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, 1080p, 720p, 4K, 8K, HDR and so on are all picture features and I get why I need to buy a new TV even if it sets me back $3000. The question is why do I need to spend another $3000 on the AVR to get it all working? I am still just using regular 5.1 sound, nothing special. The sound will not get better even after spending the additional $3000. Yes I know, its the way its built, but why is it built this way? Reasons? Yep there is but could it have been avoided? Is there a way where we all did not have to throw our otherwise full working $3000 AVR in the bin each time there is a new picture feature that we want to upgrade to? I want to believe so.

If we break down a AVR, what are we really paying for? Is it the amplifier? The quality of the sound? Calibration features? Picture features? A $500 AVR can obviously handle about the same picture futures as a $3000 AVR so why is there a difference in price? Most would say quality of sound and hardware I think? What does the 1080p, 720p, 4K, 8K and so on really mean for a AVR? Nothing really, its all about extracting the sound out of the signal and sending the same incoming signal to outgoing. No manipulation is done, right? So when upgrading the AVR we are really throwing a way a product that are more then capable of handling the incoming sound but it is not able to repack some of the picture features to outgoing signal. To me it sounds like a big waste but I'm no expert obviously, maybe there is more to it? I get that 4K, 8K and so on demand much higher data transfer but is it really a AVR problem?

Im no audiophile so is it possible to buy a setup that looks a bit like this :

Source → Blackbox → TV
---------------↓
-----------surround amplifier → Speakers

If the blackbox was a HDFury, would that solve all the problems as long as the HDFury was up to date with latest technology? I get that we still need a standard between the surround amplifier and the HD Fury but that should not need to be updated vary often right?

I will try to connect my old Yamaha tomorrow and see if there might be a bug in the current Yamaha.
You are right. Connect the AVR as only a sound controller and you will face fewer compatibility issues. Let the TV do the work of sending audio to the AVR.

I also prefer it this way because the whole family can operate the system with just one remote. The whole family owns the system it's not my toy.

I have changed 3 Tele because modern Tele somehow do not last, and the new ones come with all sorts of tech.. I have not changed my AVR in 8 years.

Of course, unless you are very particular to receive only the best quality audio for a superb setup of maybe 10.2 speakers, then do seriously consider a black box to split the media before it reaches the Tele and AVR. An example is the Zidoo.

Last edited:
My problem seems solved! We have watched a couple of different videos, longer, shorter, with and without HDR and so on but have not been able to reproduce the problem. I don't know for sure why or how but I see 2 possible reasons :

1. The Optic input port on the AVR that was used did not work as it should, this time it worked right out of the box with the same optical cable but another port(AV4 instead of AUDIO1) on the AVR. I did not get Arc to work last time and there is only 1 port for that, haven't tried it this time, ARC have a bit of a bad reputation. I do not want to change anything right now when all seems to work fine, also I have invested so much time in to this already. But a easy test would be to connect the optic cable to another input. Connecting Arc and set it up is a bit more work.

2. Last time I struggle with the sound drop out problem I was sure that the problem was in the LG OLED TV. There is many, many threads about this on the web, maybe one of the LG updates that have been applied to the TV during the last 1/2 year have solved it.

I leans toward the last reason but we will have to wait and see.

So to retrospect I may have been a bit harsh, it seems possible to run this setup even when the AVR is 8 years old.

Im sorry to say that the problem is still there, the sound drop outs is shorter but they are there.

I tired to switch to another receiver, a Yamaha RX-A1020 and it is the same problem.

The Nvidia Shield is connected to the LG OLED TV with a certified 8K HDMI cable and the TV is connected to the receiver with a optical. There is not much that can go wrong here so it is a TV problem and LG will most probably not fix it in the model I have.

The only way out for me seems to be a new receiver but the problems is that there is none on the market.

Is the Shield connected by Wi-fi or Network Cable, or are the files being played from an attached USB Storage device?

The Nvidia Shield is connected with wire and it does not matter if the media file is located on the network or if it is streaming from Netflix.

HD fury vertex 2 will do what you need without replacing your avr and that way you can get Hd audio too. It just takes the audio and outputs it along with either a basic 720p or 1080p video output. The problem with HDMI is that the audio is embedded with video so unless your avr understands both it won’t work. Also avr will overlay the volume level/info on the signal so it needs to be able to alter the video signal.

I have hade different boxes before to handle problems as theses but there is always something that do not work perfect. Also, I find the price a bit to high even if I can avoid buying a new receiver.

A bit late but I just encountered this. First wanted to report that changing the HDMI cable fixed this for me with a C7 and DenonAVR-X3300W. Luckily it is easy getting a quality HDMI cable now, just buy a 8K rated one so no more trial and error.

My initial configuration was over Optical but I recently moved and now could easily make changes to TV inputs and so went with HDMI ARC this time but I used the same HDMI cable. The LG Netflix app all of a sudden would experience random audio dropouts. Luckily I found this thread on researching the issue.

I sold my Yamaha receiver and bought a Denon AVR-x2700h and everything is solved! Did not have to change HDMI cables or anything else.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom