LG C9 PC use - questions & clarification

jimdriver2

Established Member
Reaction score
Just moved my C9 into my study so I can connect it to my PC for some gaming.

Am I right in thinking that G-sync isn't going to work on GTX1080 GPU?

Results from Google searches suggest that is the case. I was hoping for some large screen gaming at 1440p with G-sync on until I can actually buy a new RTX3080 without paying scalpers prices. Was hoping for a nice step up from my current 27" 1440p G-sync monitor to the LG C9 but it seems not. Some games (not very demanding) games will run fine on the C9 at 4K for now.

The C9 is also not recognising the PC as anything extra, just standard HDMI 2. I've turned on instant gaming response and given it a quick blast with Doom Eternal (performs so well it seems like a good test subject) and everything seemed fine.

Is there anything else I should do to get the most out of the C9 as it currently is - running from my GTX1080?

Thanks!

Just moved my C9 into my study so I can connect it to my PC for some gaming.

Am I right in thinking that G-sync isn't going to work on GTX1080 GPU?

Results from Google searches suggest that is the case. I was hoping for some large screen gaming at 1440p with G-sync on until I can actually buy a new RTX3080 without paying scalpers prices. Was hoping for a nice step up from my current 27" 1440p G-sync monitor to the LG C9 but it seems not. Some games (not very demanding) games will run fine on the C9 at 4K for now.

The C9 is also not recognising the PC as anything extra, just standard HDMI 2. I've turned on instant gaming response and given it a quick blast with Doom Eternal (performs so well it seems like a good test subject) and everything seemed fine.

Is there anything else I should do to get the most out of the C9 as it currently is - running from my GTX1080?

Thanks!

Correct the GTX-1080 series do not support G-Sync over HDMI only the RTX-2xxx, GTX-16xx and RTX-3xxx series do.

Nvidia driver defaults to vsync let 3D app decide.

vsync on = caps frame rate to vsync output 60/120hz but causes judder if frame rate does not match vsync, also causes input lag but that doesn't matter too much for single player games.

vsync off = no frame rate limit (unless games has one), smooth motion but if FPS cannot be sustained you can get screen tearing, this bothers some people depending on how bad it tears.

Nvidia adaptive vsync - a compromise option that works like vsync on and tears only if FPS drops below selected vsync 60/120hz. For this to work games internal vsync setting must be disabled so it hands over to the Nvidia driver.

So I would say vsync off and target a high FPS, with 120hz output on the C9. If tearing is a problem then drop down to 60hz adaptive sync.

The TV has a PC mode that reduces input lag and correctly displays RGB 444. It's enabled by renaming the HDMI input to PC, this matters more for desktop usage than gaming, also be sure to set the black level to High in LG picture settings as that's required for PC.

You can apply PC mode to other modes like ISF Expert if you don't like game mode and still get input lag reduction of PC mode.

Some other things to do
  • set OS to dark mode (lots of bright white will trigger the ABL auto bright limit)
  • set screensaver on short timer should you ever leave desktop idle (OS has a ton of static elements)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom