LG C9 (OLED65C9) 4K OLED Long Term Review & Comments

High end tvs in 2019 withouth hdmi 2.1 are no go,next year we have Playstation 5,nextBox,next series of PC GPU all of them with hdmi 2.1 and 99% of tvs in this year still dont support standard so future proof is actualy zero on that sets.
THIS should be one of prime plus or minus in reviews of 2019 sets and not something only mentioned like a small point.

Its funny have things have changed in a year regarding video formats. Last years panny OLEDs where being criticized for not inc DV and now it's Panasonic who have all the formats covered and LG are the ones who need to think about inc HDR 10+.

This is why I will wait until next year as I'm sure all the oleds will inc all the video formats and Hdmi 2.1

Getting TV envy... me, with a Sony AF9! I do a lot of gaming and appreciate the full HDMI 2.1 spec of the C9. Sony gotta step it up... though for sure they'll come out of the blocks strong (but pricey...) next year.

Personally think the full spec HDMI 2.1 really pushes the C9 over the edge against it's competition, atleast it has for me....with the next PS and Xbox due in the not too distant future the C9 will be ready to handle all the new tech they may have.

The HDMI 2.1 spec alone was the reason I chose the C9 over all the competition.

As others have stated, it should be far more emphasized in reviews rather than a moot point. It's a significant advantage over most other TVs in 2019, albeit not really utilized yet. Next year more TVs will have it, but at a far more significant cost.

As others have stated, it should be far more emphasized in reviews rather than a moot point. It's a significant advantage over most other TVs in 2019, albeit not really utilized yet. Next year more TVs will have it, but at a far more significant cost.

Agreed with this, the C9 was always my number one choice but the GZ950 was still in consideration for me as it's by all accounts an excellent TV also add in the new Oled+934 from Philips with the integrated soundbar which was(is) really appeaing to me but in the end the combination of the OS and full spec HDMI 2.1 not to mention I'm getting offered the 65" for £1999 has really tipped the balance for me.

Head to head coming soon, Q90R vs. C9 65-inchers
When you say soon do you have a rough idea as to when that may be? As someone who uses their TV for gaming probably 80% of the time, whilst I have pretty much settled on the C9 there’s been a gentle nagging in the back of my mind that the Q90s high brightness (I currently have a DX902) might be something that I’d benefit from :).

When you say soon do you have a rough idea as to when that may be? As someone who uses their TV for gaming probably 80% of the time, whilst I have pretty much settled on the C9 there’s been a gentle nagging in the back of my mind that the Q90s high brightness (I currently have a DX902) might be something that I’d benefit from :).
Probably mid-November

Great review @Phil Hinton , enjoy very much reading it.
I have a few technical questions.

What is your take on the dynamic tone mapping vs custom tone mapping ?

I calibrated using calman home and the autocal feature i can't decide beetween the 2 for but the dynamic tone mapping seems to pop more.

Also did you have any tips on setting up the roll off point?

Do you guys use the option to calibrate also with 42 point for hdr and sdr?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi Phil which would you say has the best picture quality between the gz950, c9 and 804. I mostly watch films on Netflix/amazon and normal TV bbc/itv , mostly at night. I currently own a 55b6 and find it annoying watching dark films as I get poor shadow detail and flashing blacks.
I'll be buying a 65" version if that makes any difference.
Thanks

Last edited:
Actually ordered early today, would love to know which of the inbuilt setting referred to offers the closest to reference colours...

@Phil Hinton whats your take on all this panel grading business i was going for C9 but got put off now instead looking at the E9

I have the 55in version to this .. and i have had it for nearly 3 weeks now .

all i can say is WOW ...

Gaming on this is supurb with the 1 x and PS4 pro .

No banding on mine .(yet)
No screen burn on mine (yet)

the tv just gets better and better with the image quality .

The review is correct in saying that there is slight black crush on SDR content but i dont watch a lot of SDR so that fine to me .

I had nothing but trouble with 3x E8s last year ...said i would never Buy LG again never mind OLED ..

I paid £1374 with richer sounds and 6 years warranty ..

airplay 2 is a bonus along with VRR ..

Is it worth the extra £500 extra over the b9? I'll probably end up switching the processing off anyhow, like in my c7.

I have the 55in version to this .. and i have had it for nearly 3 weeks now .

all i can say is WOW ...

Gaming on this is supurb with the 1 x and PS4 pro .

No banding on mine .(yet)
No screen burn on mine (yet)

the tv just gets better and better with the image quality .

The review is correct in saying that there is slight black crush on SDR content but i dont watch a lot of SDR so that fine to me .

I had nothing but trouble with 3x E8s last year ...said i would never Buy LG again never mind OLED ..

I paid £1374 with richer sounds and 6 years warranty ..

airplay 2 is a bonus along with VRR ..
Kill switch,

I have had real bother trying to find out about the stand for the 55 C9, maybe you can help.

My existing AV unit is 86cm wide. From what I can tell watching videos etc. this is wide enough to accommodate the part of the stand that is behind the screen panel. I think the front of the scoop infront of the panel is about 92cm wide... But does the scoop rest on your AV unit... And if it does I think it has rubber feet... And would the outer feet rest on my unit? Sorry for the long winded question!

My current unit is likely to be only a short term solution, but there is a lead time to getting a more suitable unit and the extra cost impediment in the short term.

I am thinking prices for C9 are as low as they are going to go for a while and I will be purchasing a 55 C9 this weekend.

Hope you can help...

Kill switch,

I have had real bother trying to find out about the stand for the 55 C9, maybe you can help.

My existing AV unit is 86cm wide. From what I can tell watching videos etc. this is wide enough to accommodate the part of the stand that is behind the screen panel. I think the front of the scoop infront of the panel is about 92cm wide... But does the scoop rest on your AV unit... And if it does I think it has rubber feet... And would the outer feet rest on my unit? Sorry for the long winded question!

My current unit is likely to be only a short term solution, but there is a lead time to getting a more suitable unit and the extra cost impediment in the short term.

I am thinking prices for C9 are as low as they are going to go for a while and I will be purchasing a 55 C9 this weekend.

Hope you can help...
Hi bud . My Tv is on the wall .
The stand is in the box in the hall way still . Will try and measure it for you over the weekend .
I was going to put it on it’s stand to test but instead it went straight on the wall as my wall mount is super simple with just 2 bolts ans slides into a groove (Sony mount) . The stand looks like a faff to our together as it being in 2 parts ans the tv has in f to rest on the box I though no chance am I doing that just to take it back off and put it on the wall .

Hi bud . My Tv is on the wall .
The stand is in the box in the hall way still . Will try and measure it for you over the weekend .
I was going to put it on it’s stand to test but instead it went straight on the wall as my wall mount is super simple with just 2 bolts ans slides into a groove (Sony mount) . The stand looks like a faff to our together as it being in 2 parts ans the tv has in f to rest on the box I though no chance am I doing that just to take it back off and put it on the wall .

OK much appreciated

Phil,

This is a bit left field... during your time with the C9 have you used it without the 'scoop stand' and would that change the 'Sound Quality' score? I plan to buy this TV and I am a small predicament whereby wall mounting on an articulated arm might be the only solution.

cheers

In picture terms how has the c9 improved over the c8?

Based on the reviews and comments, I bet the C8 is still superb value if you are interested only on image quality over this upgrade, and if you are not bothered about hdmi 2.1, I would go for the C8.

FWIW, the C9 is selling in the USA at BuyDig for $1699 after discounts. After looking everywhere and looking at Black Friday sneak peaks, this looks like a good price so I ordered it. With tax it cost me $1843.00 and free shipping. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Yeah 2.1 so why does the Phillips 904 with 2.1 and HDR10+ score so low? Surely this should make it top recommendation?

Thanks for the updated review, love this TV now LG needs to lower the 77” prices so I can afford it LOL

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom