LG C9 (OLED65C9) 4K OLED Long Term Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review and good to finally see one of it on here as I'd searched and searched thinking there must be one and that I just couldn't find it!! V close to pulling the trigger on one of these come BF, I imagine a that read through number two (tonight in the bath!) will have me firmly deciding that yup, it's the one for me :smashin:.

@Phil Hinton, it's £2,299 everywhere now. And the 55" C9 is around £1,499 across. I can grab a real bargain for Panasonic GZ950 to GZ2000 through partner deals. I am inclined towards GZ950 as I am only interested in the panel. Am I OK in going for that?
Thanks, Ven

@Phil Hinton, it's £2,299 everywhere now. And the 55" C9 is around £1,499 across. I can grab a real bargain for Panasonic GZ950 to GZ2000 through partner deals. I am inclined towards GZ950 as I am only interested in the panel. Am I OK in going for that?
Thanks, Ven
Only you can answer that one, I'm afraid. The GZ950 and C9 are incredibly similar for SDR image quality and HDR. Not an easy choice.

Only you can answer that one, I'm afraid. The GZ950 and C9 are incredibly similar for SDR image quality and HDR. Not an easy choice.

Which one would you pick?

In my case for a 55" panel I could have the GZ950 for under £1,150. C9 would be £1,499.

Which one would you pick?

In my case for a 55" panel I could have the GZ950 for under £1,150. C9 would be £1,499.
If movies are your thing and you will be watching in a dim room, the Panasonic would be my choice as it just has slightly more natural colours overall. If you're more an all-round user the LG might be better suited with WebOS, gaming input lag, HDMI 2.1 etc. but it is a tough choice.

Great review. Highly likely my next tv. Also the compression against the sony bmx300. As one member has stated he still prefers his rgb samsung oled over zg2000. Not much of surprise

@Phil Hinton another well written review, thanks

Interested as to why this only gets 9/10, when by all accounts it's an incremental upgrade form the C8 which got a 10?

@Phil Hinton another well written review, thanks

Interested as to why this only gets 9/10, when by all accounts it's an incremental upgrade form the C8 which got a 10?
Because the market has changed and there is more quality competition available, we also compare to currently available sets and not last year's. I also didn't review the C8. Hope that helps.

Because the market has changed and there is more quality competition available, we also compare to currently available sets and not last year's. I also didn't review the C8. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the explanation - makes sense now :)

Looking forward to the video review :smashin:

Yet another great review Phil,thank you!
I think that pretty much completes the high end line-up this year. Movies are my thing so Panasonic is my first choice,but if I’m forced to buy LG I feel I’ll have to spend the extra on the E series in the hope of improving my chances re: uniformity. As you point out;that and the lack of HDR10+ the only real negatives about this model.

Thanks for the review Phil.

I'd be intersted to know how much difference the Alpha 9 Gen 2 chip actually makes when compared to the Alpha 7 Gen 2 on the B9. I picked up a B9 earlier this month and have been delighted with the picture quality, watching movies on an OLED is an incredible experience.

Nice review but the comparison itself is against a TV that costs nearly twice and yet the performance is similar.

Is your test environment in a completely dark room ? The uniformity issues with banding would really bother me .... is it noticeable at all in any normal content or just test patterns etc?

Great review as always,just wondering if it's worth me upgrading from my 65b7 as its prone to slight banding issues but there doesn't seem to have been any improvement in this area

Last edited:
Nice review but the comparison itself is against a TV that costs nearly twice and yet the performance is similar.
The GZ950 is the same price as the C9 and is almost identical to the GZ2000 as per my review of that screen. I hope that makes the comparison easier to follow.

Is your test environment in a completely dark room ? The uniformity issues with banding would really bother me .... is it noticeable at all in any normal content or just test patterns etc?
A normal living room that goes from bright during the day to pitch black at night. I test in all possible scenarios. Thanks.

Great review as always,just wondering if it's worth me upgrading from my 65b7 as its prone to slight banding issues but there
Only you can answer that one, but I would keep an eye on prices around Black Friday if you are seriously looking to upgrade.

I was almost settled on a Gz950, but now Im not so sure. Lots to think about.

When you say black flashing occurs on poorly compressed content, would you say then it would be particularly prevelant on Sky HD? Thats one thing I gather Panasonic got on top of.

Secondarily, Ive seen several people say they returned LGs on the basis of 'terrible' motion, but you seem quite positive on its capability. I guess thats quite subjective, Im very much smooth=better.

I know its small change in the scheme of things but I quite like the 'all streaming apps' nature of the LG.
Like many my main viewing is Netflix/Youtube/Prime/NowTV and tbh I love the idea of having ALL the apps on the TV without having to hook up additional boxes. In addition avoids then having to mess about with another remote. So LG edging it for me. Just giving it another week or so for the BF deals to kick in. I do like the narrow stand of the 950 though and the banding mention puts me off on the LG.... but I dont fancy a slightly laggy OS on the Panny and no NOWTV...... you could drive yourself silly.

First world problems hey.

I should stop reading these reviews. I think I am decided on my next set then up pops another review. So am torn between Pany GZ950, Philips 804/854 or this one. Most of my time is spent with SD content, gaming is of no interest but I love ambilight. Maybe I should let my wife decide based on which she thinks looks nicest!

Anyone know how this LG compares to the Samsung QE65Q90R and QE65Q85R please?

One of those three will be my first Black Friday gadget buy this year......

Anyone know how this LG compares to the Samsung QE65Q90R and QE65Q85R please?

One of those three will be my first Black Friday gadget buy this year......
Head to head coming soon, Q90R vs. C9 65-inchers

Hi Phil good review, will the Panasonic GZ950 review be coming up next?
I watch 4k movies only in a dark room so looks like the GZ950 for me but a little confused, seem to be more features on the LG minus HDR10+ (is that necessary).
Only concern on the GZ950 is slight judder i keep hearing about waiting for your opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom