LG c9 and samsung HW-Q90R atmos soundbar

kevineaton

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, so i pulled the trigger.

sound is frankly fab. i have atmos via the arc port on the c9, tested with Mowgli on netflix.

cec is on, audio out set to hdmi. the volume control on the lg remote also now controls the samungs volume, which is nice.

are there any other options i should set? do i have the optimal settings?

i originally had my virgin v6 tivo cable tv box plugged into the soundbar, but then i had to mess around changing inputs on the soundbar and the tv when switching from internal apps to the virgin box.

so i decided to just plug the virgin box into the tv and see if it then passed the sound to the soundabr, which it does.

are there any disadvantages to this setup? i dont think there is actually any atmos content on the v6 box anyway (although let me know if i am wrong) to test it with.

The only disadvantages of connecting to the directly to the TV is that the C9 will not pass through DTS or Dolby ATMOS sound. For that you currently have to connect directly to the sound bar. Good news is the built in applications that supports the advance audio formats will pass to your sound bar.

This also allows for the smart remote to control your Cable box, something I can't get to work using switching of HDMI ARC connection.

sound is frankly fab. i have atmos via the arc port on the c9, tested with Mowgli on netflix.

cec is on, audio out set to hdmi. the volume control on the lg remote also now controls the samungs volume, which is nice.

i originally had my virgin v6 tivo cable tv box plugged into the soundbar, but then i had to mess around changing inputs on the soundbar and the tv when switching from internal apps to the virgin box.

so i decided to just plug the virgin box into the tv and see if it then passed the sound to the soundabr, which it does.

are there any disadvantages to this setup? i dont think there is actually any atmos content on the v6 box anyway (although let me know if i am wrong) to test it with.
Do you have an Xbox One X or Xbox One S?

I assume to utilise the VRR feature that the console would need to be connected directly to the TV. In this case does Atmos passthrough over eARC without any issues? No lip-sync problems, etc.?

I'm not experiencing any lip-sync issues in this configuration. but I was also successful in getting ATMOS through the TV, only by connecting directly to the sound bar. If you did get it to pass I would love the configuration.

I dont know about xbox as I don't have one but the settings for earc are in my previous post

The only disadvantages of connecting to the directly to the TV is that the C9 will not pass through DTS or Dolby ATMOS sound. For that you currently have to connect directly to the sound bar. Good news is the built in applications that supports the advance audio formats will pass to your sound bar.

This also allows for the smart remote to control your Cable box, something I can't get to work using switching of HDMI ARC connection.
I believe this is incorrect. The C9 will passthrough any/all sound formats

I believe this is incorrect. The C9 will passthrough any/all sound formats

i agree, that is definitely incorrect at least for the c9 internal sound from apps like netflix and amazon. i cant tell if the virgin tivo box passes through dolby in tivo>>>c9>>>>sound bar does as it doesn't support those formats anyway, but i suspect it would.

Kevin, you are correct for the built in apps. They do play and pass through Dolby signal to the soundbar via the arc cable. The issue si external devices such as cable boxes, Apple TV box, Blu Ray player etc. they do not pass Dolby Atmos through the tv. They must be connected via the soundbar.

Kevin, you are correct for the built in apps. They do play and pass through Dolby signal to the soundbar via the arc cable. The issue si external devices such as cable boxes, Apple TV box, Blu Ray player etc. they do not pass Dolby Atmos through the tv. They must be connected via the soundbar.
Yes they do. Absolutely no issue. What have you experienced?

Apple Tv 4k connected to TV. Xbox one x connected to TV. Sky Q connected to TV. All passthrough atoms no issue.

On my Set, I have Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI 3. When it connected "Audio and Sounds" settings does not show ATMOS. You do not even get the option, because Apple TV doesn't have the option, apps do not give you the option only 5.1. If there a setting I missed?

On my Set, I have Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI 3. When it connected "Audio and Sounds" settings does not show ATMOS. You do not even get the option, because Apple TV doesn't have the option, apps do not give you the option only 5.1. If there a setting I missed?
Apple Tv settings --> Video and Audio --> Audio section --> Audio Output needs to be HDMI and audio format set to auto, Atmos on.

TV settings --> sound --> sound output
HDMI
Digital sound out to Auto
Passthrough 'on'

Rewired to your settings above, no Joy. Apple TV settings -> Video and Audio --> Audio Output set to device HDMI, Audio Format is set to Auto. I no longer get the option to for ATMOS

good luck guys, i cant comments as i dont have a viable external device to test with.

I think I found something. Your settings above Sagaris is correct. but we are missing one setting that makes a huge difference. On your C9 Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings -> HDMI Input Audio Format input for the HDMI Port should be Bitstream not PCM. This enabled the ATOMS. Thanks for the help.

Hey. I have the C9 and the Q80R sound bar(awesome together I think) and I have the same set up because that is the only thing that would work without switching channel issues. I have my cable box direct to TV and my Bluray player connected to my sound bar. This is the only way the Q80/90R will do Atmos AND DTS-X. Atmos will work from the TV to the bar via ARC but the DTS-X is only supported through HDMI not ARC. So the best way I could find that doesn't confuse the TV and sound bar is Bluray player into sound bar and passed through to TV and cable box plugged directly in the TV. C9 has a decent amp so the sound is good. I think this is the best way for this set up. If anyone knows how I can plug everything into the sound bar then back to TV through ARC without confusing TV and bar lt me know.

If you are only using the TV speakers on the LG, is there any benefit to the fact that you may have armos content? E.g. I assume the speakers are basic so won't even attempt any virtual surround effects. But do the TV speakers output the better quality atmos streams? (true hd vs dolby digital)?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom