Quantcast

LG C9 55" & Sonos Beam - lip sync?

JustMefornow

HI all

I'm strongly consdering buying the LG C9 (55") this week, and plan to run it with a Sonos Beam and surrounds that I already own. I remember reading last year about lip sync issues with some LG TVs. Does this happen with this TV ? Has this been addressed since? Anything I should consider?

Thanks for sharing experiences!

frostbear44

Novice Member
Hello, I am just over a week in with a lovely C9 55" and I run it with a Sonos Beam and two Ikea Symfonisk surrounds connected to the HDMI ARC input. It is driving me crazy with the lip sync - my 'best' solution is to adjust within the Sonos app. I have a Sky Q 2TB as my main TV input. It would not put me off buying but I'd love to resolve this as the TV is absolutely wonderful!

JustMefornow

Hmm. That doesn't sound good. Although that might be a sky issue - we had it for about a month last year with the current setup. No workaround? i found altering the audio delay in the Sonos app or the sky box helped.

frostbear44

Novice Member
It’s definitely a Sky issue - no issues with content via the ‘apps’ (Rakuten, Netflix, Amazon etc) or through Xbox One X or Apple TV box. Will try altering the delay through the Sky box, thanks

jwsg

On the C8 lipsync was noticeable over ARC for apps and any device connected to the TV but was the video leading due to a too large audio delay added by the TV itself. I have seen reports of this over a range of LG models including C9

If video is leading on ARC then adding an audio delay in the receiver cant help. I get around it by turning on Trumotion in User with sliders left to delay the video a little, and by only connecting devices to the receiver.

ramman

Novice Member
Could someone please explain how the HDMI-2/ARC works. I have a and external Onkyo amplifier which just has RCA type inputs. What is the best way to connect that to my LG C9 Oled TV? Do I connect it to the Ear phone output. If to the HDMI/ARC what cables do I need? Thank you

jwsg

ARC is audio back down the HDMI cable a AV receiver connects to the TV on.
If you dont find a suitable cable from TV to amp, you could also look at an optical to analogue converter but bear in mind the optical output level is likely not changed by the TV volume (TV assumes the other end attenuates) or a bluetooth receiver with analogue out.
A AV receiver (or soundbar etc) ultimately would work best.

ramman

Novice Member
Thank you for your response. Is there a special HDMI cable which returns the audio or will any one do and it is the receiver of the HDMI cable (which also has a standard HDMI plug) which separates out the audio. My Onkyo amplifier has 4 optical inputs. I've just ordered that cable. I would rather have the amplifier control the volume (which you indicated it would if I use the optical cable.)

jwsg

If you have an amplifier (stereo and no video capabilities) rather than an AV Receiver (which have HDMIs and 5.1 surround sound) then ARC wouldn't be an issue as you wouldnt be connecting the audio device by HDMI

As you have optical inputs - for CD players or streaming boxes - then the TV optical out ought to connect directly

The TV needs to output in dual channel PCM for an amplifier. The other issue is muting the TV speakers. Its best to not use the mute button as the mute icon is not OLED friendly. It's worth experimenting with the Speakers+Optical and the ARC audio options to see if the optical is working.

If you are looking for an HDMI then look for Premium Certified High Speed with Ethernet

ramman

Novice Member
Thank you for your help. As I understand you the ARC audio output back runs through a standard HDMI cable which has HDMI males on both ends? The receiver of the "ARC'd" audio signal has the HDMI female plug?
When you say the mute icon is not OLED friendly you mean that if left on the TV display it could cause burn? I have the 55C9 2019 model and when I press the mute button the mute icon comes on but it is temporary and turns off after about 15 seconds. Is that the issue what you are referring to?