LG C8 vs Sony AF8 vs Panasonic FZ952

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by jai1080, Dec 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I currently own the LG 55C8 but I have been disappointed with the TV performance and Picture quality. The overall picture in my opinion does not compare to my previous LG 55B7 and I am looking for advice on an alternative TV. The TV is hooked up to a SKY Q box but I find the picture quality to be very soft with high noise levels.
    I have adjusted the picture settings myself from online advice.

I was thinking of going for the LG 55B8 as it doesn't seem to have the auto dimming issues as the higher end LG 2018 TV's (including C8). I have been reading many reviews and am also interested in the following TV's, Sony 55AF8, Panasonic FZ802B and Panasonic FZ952. I have viewed the Sony 55AF8 and Panasonic FZ802B in Richer Sounds and was impressed by the picture quality on the Sony.

The main elements the TV with be used for are:
    SD viewing
    HD viewing
    Frequent movie viewing
    Weekly sports viewing
    Occasional 4K viewing
    Rare gaming (one every 3 months if that)

I really like the WebOs on the LG but don't have any experience of other smart features and usability from Sony or Panasonic.

I have also noticed that the Panasonics don't support Dolby Vision but instead opt for HDR10+ and wanted to know how much of a factor this is? Should I go for a TV that supports Dolby Vision?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone able to advise?

3. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Value for money makes the Panasonic FZ802 a very appealing prospect at the moment. I had last years model and I was very impressed with that so I am looking forward to getting my delivery of the new version on the 2nd January. In my humble opinion, it really does seem as if they all have their quirks/advantaged/drawbacks and you just need to decide which compromises you are prepared to make.

From my own research I would say that the LG has the better to use smart platform and then you have DV as well. You are obviously used to the LG interface so that could count in its favour. Sony also has DV but also a not so great smart platform in my view. I know it is not the same set but I have the Sony XF9005 and DV really is not that good looking on it. This was also the reason that I did not go for the Sony OLEDs - because to my eyes the DV was not great (frankly is was very dull and dark).

What I really must say also is that playing around with the LG's and the Panasonic in RS today I honestly preferred the Panasonic picture even when looking side by side at DV and non DV content and that is why I have gone with the FZ802. Motion wise it also seems to be better. Personally I can't see any reason why anyone would go for the B8 over the Panasonic at the current pricing unless they feel they have no option but to have DV/DA integration. Spec wise the Panasonic FZ802 is the same as the FZ925 without the soundbar at the bottom and the B8 is an entry level for LG.

I went round and round in circles before settling on the Panasonic and in the end I just kind of realised that there are going to be compromises with whatever you go for. I also had to remind myself that ultimately HDR content is going to be epic on any of these regardless of DV and in the end for me it was down to value for money. I probably have not helped but these are my honest thoughts.

4. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your advice and comments really appreciated. I think I am going to go to JL tomorrow as the Richer sounds store in Milton Keynes is quite small. How much does the Full Fat HDMI ports make a difference with the LG have all 4 and the Panasonic only 2?

5. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    That could be an issue depending on what you are going to hook up. If I were you I would maybe submit a couple of price matches on the JL website for the FZ802 at £1249 if you have not done so already just in case the price changes at RGB or PRC direct overnight. I am sure that if you show them the webpages they will match in store anyway though. RS will do it for you for £1230 with 6 year cover if you really want the best price at the moment on the Panasonic. One thing I would say though (and you probably already know this) but you will want to look at some different sources on the sets in store and the reality is that what you see in the store will not necessarily be representative of what the real world viewing will be like.

6. martin 39

martin 39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Any thoughts on the philips sets as there roughly the same prices.

7. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers just done a price match as richer sounds has it for £1299. Still very undecided as would be having the TV for a few years and wanted the latest possible tech for the price point. Also unsure on the DV and HDR10 variants and what would suit me more. I am only really going to have a Sky Q box hooked up to the TV mainly so would only having 2 full bandwidth HDMI ports be ok?

8. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sorry pal, I did not consider those so I have no idea.

Also, if you do get the Panasonic from RS remember to ask them to beat RGB or Prc Direct so you get it for £1229.

9. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i was also looking at the Philips but dont know enough about them. Did check out the picture quality in RS and it did look good. Have you got a Philips OLED TV?

10. martin 39

martin 39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No its just im in the same boat not noing what to do I have had a kuro for the last 9 yrs and still looks great to me. I e just got the bug to change but not sure what to.
    Had a good look at the panny sonys and lg today in john lewis And was drawn to the panasonic as it looked more real to me But i have just watched the new jurassic blu ray tonight and it still looked brilliant

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  11. c__w

c__w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    What was wrong with the b7?

12. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Changed from a THX calibrated Pioneer Kuro LX5090 to a Panasonic 65FZ802 about a month ago and the OLED is fantastic. Even with standard freeview HD and Sky HD, I am astonished by the natural colour and motion compared to an LG65E7 we had for a month earlier in the year. So glad I sent the LG back. Motion was terrible even after playing with every setting.

I’ve only just played around with some settings on the Panasonic, but the out of the box presets are brilliant. Even my wife is wowed by the quality of picture. Only the sound is somewhat lacking compared to the Kuro’s under screen speaker bar, but we have a 7.1 set up anyway so not too disappointed for normal day to day TV viewing

13. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I went into JL today and had a real good look at the Sony, Panasonic and LG. I found that the picture quality on the Panasonic and Sony was far better. I spoke to a gut who was very knowledgable and he was telling me Sony had the better processing and picture. I did like the picture on the Sony so I am even more confused.

14. rare

rare
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought LG just issued firmware to fix the auto dimming issue?

15. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Maybe it would be worth just giving it some time and seeing what the new year brings with the new announcements? Like I said before, I have been in your shoes and totally confused going round in circles on which to go for. What I would say though (and I am honestly not trying to confuse the issue more for you) is that I would not take much notice of the way things looked in store, especially if you were not there for many hours meticulously checking lots of different content and playing around with the settings. Also, just think about how bright those places are and how different it is going to be at home, especially for movies with the lights down.

It sounds from reading your threads like you are seriously considering the FZ802 and the he chances are that Panasonic may well implement DV in the new year on their new sets, so again if you wait this could be a plus? Also, you can always get a streaming device (ROKU/amazon/apple) if the smart interface is not to your liking on their sets. That could sway things? Obviously it will be 2.5k for a set to start and then the prices will start to fall again. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti Sony (I own an XF9005), but they come with their own compromises in my view (poorest smart interface/not brilliant DV).

One other thing I have learnt over my own research before buying is that if you are looking to future proof then be prepared to be disappointed. Just round the corner there is some dude dreaming up some new acronym or tech/HDR/DV type thing to get us all excited about in the next week/month/year. Once I realised this then it pretty much made my decision much easier. For me, it was down to value for money and the fact that I am only really going to be using my TV to watch physical 4k and BR - so in the end it was not a hard decision to go for the Panasonic FZ802 (plus the fact that the deal was right).

I was never going to buy the B8 (as I don't think it offers value, even at sub 1k as it is now, against the Panasonic at the price I paid) and for me it was a choice between the FZ802 or the C8. Personally, I would say that if you have given the LG a go and it has not been good for you then I do not think it is a competition between the Sony and the Panasonic - but that is just my own personal judgement.

16. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the advice and I really appreciate it. Can I ask what the sound is like on your Panasonic FZ802 as the guy in JL wasnt overly impressed with it. As I live in a flat and can really get a soundbar due to the poor sound insulation. I would like a TV that has good sound as far as a TV can get.

17. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Mine comes on Wednesday so I can't say for sure. I had the EZ952 (basically the same model from last year) until a week ago and if was fine for normal usage. In reality, if you want to get the very best experience you will need something else like a soundbar etc. but that can be said for pretty much any of these sets. To be fair to Sony, those sets do seem to produce better sound and I know that some of them have pretty good solutions in built.

18. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok cool, well once you receive your Panasonic it would be great to know how you rate it please.

19. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    P Adams I’d say your E7 was faulty,I’ve had mine 13 months and the motion and image it produces blows me away it’s so natural and good.Did you not veiw an E7 before your brought one as even in the horrible show room environment they still looked good to me.
    Could be your very sensitive to motion or you had a bad panel.

20. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Who said anything about and E7?

21. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I did so much research and testing it probably drove my wife to distraction. Spent a lot of time fiddling with settings in various shops that some other people thought I was a member of staff! I know a shop environment is terrible, but as you rightly say motion is a personal thing, and to us the Panasonic just processes the image better in our opinion. After having the LG for a month watching all sorts of content it just wasn’t for us. As you say you find the LG perfect for you

22. jai1080

jai1080
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    Just wanted to check if you received the Panasonic FZ802 and if so how is it?

23. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have received it but the reality is that I won't unpack and set it up until tomorrow evening at the earliest. I will update asap.

24. Sparky300

Sparky300
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any update on how your tv is? Are you happy with the picture?

25. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So, sadly I have had to return it to JL due to the fact that it arrived damaged. I purchased a 'open box' from my local JL store and paid £949, however, when it arrived the set inside was not packaged properly and there were an number of objects pressed against the screen that had marked/scratched it (the plug, screws, part of the stand). It was a bit of a joke really. I am definitely still going to get this set but I am just deciding now whether to use my price match (£1249) with JL or to buy it elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM
  26. martylaa

martylaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Seems to be a recurring theme with John Lewis these days...

27. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So, I was aware that I purchased an 'open box' item but I was guaranteed that it had been check properly and repackaged carefully by a 'trained technician'. I suspect (from comments I overheard from the staff when I went in after receiving the item) that my store in Exeter just get any of the partners to do it, and it is clear that they are not up to the job. Alternatively, it might have been that they never even checked it when it was returned. I was also very disappointed by the knowledge of the staff and basic skills with regard to customer service (including the manager I dealt with). I have had issues online with JL before but sadly this seems also to be the case at my local store. I am now weighing up risking whether to go for the price match I have on a brand new set with them. If anyone by chance reads this and is thinking about buying a set from the Exeter JL store then I would say maybe think about heading up the road to RS.