Question LG C8 & USB BUS Power and portable HDD's

see4k

Opening this thread in search for some precise/technical answer about real USB BUS Power for C8 and similar LG TV's.

It is realated to connecting portable HDD's.

Nowhere in manual I didn't find that info, only one thing on LG's web, where is non specifically tells that is recommended max. 500 mA.

"Use external USB hard drives that require a maximum of 500 mA. If the device exceeds these power requirements, the TV may not be able to supply you with the necessary power for proper operation. We recommend 2.5 "small external hard drives with no external power, so when you turn off the TV, the TV will also turn off the power to the disc and save energy.If the disc does not work, it may require more power than the one supplied by the USB port on the TV, in which case you switch from a disc to a smaller one, or use a 3.5 "external drive."

I also find that most portable HDD's needs max. 900 mA.

However, I read all across the internet where people are using portable HDD's on all kind of TV's...

I would really want to be sure can C8 run portable HDD's or not?
Bcs USB Sticks are expensive and small in capacitiy.

sagaris99

Opening this thread in search for some precise/technical answer about real USB BUS Power for C8 and similar LG TV's.

It is realated to connecting portable HDD's.

Nowhere in manual I didn't find that info, only one thing on LG's web, where is non specifically tells that is recommended max. 500 mA.

"Use external USB hard drives that require a maximum of 500 mA. If the device exceeds these power requirements, the TV may not be able to supply you with the necessary power for proper operation. We recommend 2.5 "small external hard drives with no external power, so when you turn off the TV, the TV will also turn off the power to the disc and save energy.If the disc does not work, it may require more power than the one supplied by the USB port on the TV, in which case you switch from a disc to a smaller one, or use a 3.5 "external drive."

I also find that most portable HDD's needs max. 900 mA.

However, I read all across the internet where people are using portable HDD's on all kind of TV's...

I would really want to be sure can C8 run portable HDD's or not?
Bcs USB Sticks are expensive and small in capacitiy.
Can confirm that the C8 can run a multitude of HDDs I have tried. WesternDigital, LaCie, Samsung, Seagate and Toshiba, runs them absolutely fine.

I use the LaCie one most of the time, no issues.

Only thing I would recommend is removing it when not in use, and if you do this while the tv is on, eject it from the menu first.

Not sure why the info in the manual suggests there would be an issue...

D

Deleted member 171211

As standard, USB 2.0 supplies 500mA per port. You can use a powered hub or an 3.5" drive with its own power supply.

Some 2.5" hard drives come with 2 usb plugs if they need 900mA, so plug them into two separate ports.

see4k

Can confirm that the C8 can run a multitude of HDDs I have tried. WesternDigital, LaCie, Samsung, Seagate and Toshiba, runs them absolutely fine.

I use the LaCie one most of the time, no issues.

Only thing I would recommend is removing it when not in use, and if you do this while the tv is on, eject it from the menu first.

Not sure why the info in the manual suggests there would be an issue...

Thanks guys, so this one should run fine?

One more thing, does USB 3.0 extension cable (0.7 or 1m) changes something about power question?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom