LG C8, PS5, and 120hz

krayzie32

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am going crazy as I can't get my PS5 to output to 1080p/120hz (even when I have Borderlands 3 playing in performance mode in the game itself). I have been googling this issue and I've performed a lot of what was suggested and my "possible output information" (on the PS5) doesn't mention 120. I'm using a HDMI 2.1 cable and I also tried the cable that came with the PS5.
  1. C8 - Up-to-date firmware wise, game mode, HDMI deep color, changed input to PC to see if that did anything
  2. PS5 - game preset to performance, tried automatic (for all settings) and 1080p locked in the screen settings, turned off HDR, RGB to full
Does anyone else have this issue specific to the C8? Thank you in advance

Hi there, the LG C8 only has HMDI 2.0 connections so you won't be able to the 120Hz gaming there I'm afraid.
Some games like Ratchet & Clank were actually trying to do so and were causing issues (since been patched) so you might be better performance wise to actually switch off the setting for 120Hz in the PS5 video settings.

Still a great TV though and your PS5 will look amazing on it regardless.

Hi there, the LG C8 only has HMDI 2.0 connections so you won't be able to the 120Hz gaming there I'm afraid.
Some games like Ratchet & Clank were actually trying to do so and were causing issues (since been patched) so you might be better performance wise to actually switch off the setting for 120Hz in the PS5 video settings.

Still a great TV though and your PS5 will look amazing on it regardless.
Wrong actually, it can do 120fps @1080p just fine.

To answer the OP, do you have auto 120fps on in the picture settings? Works just fine on my C8, although I don't actually use the 120fps mode because 4k/60fps is better to me.

Not sure what else to recommend trying, some games have different ways to activate the 120fps mode also.

I am going crazy as I can't get my PS5 to output to 1080p/120hz (even when I have Borderlands 3 playing in performance mode in the game itself). I have been googling this issue and I've performed a lot of what was suggested and my "possible output information" (on the PS5) doesn't mention 120. I'm using a HDMI 2.1 cable and I also tried the cable that came with the PS5.
  1. C8 - Up-to-date firmware wise, game mode, HDMI deep color, changed input to PC to see if that did anything
  2. PS5 - game preset to performance, tried automatic (for all settings) and 1080p locked in the screen settings, turned off HDR, RGB to full
Does anyone else have this issue specific to the C8? Thank you in advance
This is strange because you actualy did how it should be done to enable 120fps/1080p in that game....
Try to reset tv?....

To answer the OP, do you have auto 120fps on in the picture settings? Works just fine on my C8, although I don't actually use the 120fps mode because 4k/60fps is better to me.

Not sure what else to recommend trying, some games have different ways to activate the 120fps mode also.
I stand corrected (said the man in orthopaedic shoes).

Do you have auto 120fps on in the picture settings? - If you are referring to the PS5 screen setting, yes I do. What are your settings on your C8 for the input for your PS5? Does 120 show up in the PS5 video output section under the compatible section?

@MEGATAMA If this still doesn't work soon, I may have to reset the TV, which will be a pain to redo my settings... blah!

Do you have auto 120fps on in the picture settings? - If you are referring to the PS5 screen setting, yes I do. What are your settings on your C8 for the input for your PS5? Does 120 show up in the PS5 video output section under the compatible section?

@MEGATAMA If this still doesn't work soon, I may have to reset the TV, which will be a pain to redo my settings... blah!

Do you have a PC/laptop any kind with HDMI, plug that into the TV set it to 1080p output and see if it detects the 120Hz mode in the GPU driver control panel.

Other things to try
1) Unplug the TV from power socket at wall, leave it for 5 minutes (powering off via remote does not power off TV fully).

2) Connect the PS5 to a different HDMI input on the TV (make sure PS5 is not in standby and is off).

3) Power on TV and switch to the HDMI input PS5 is on and change the picture mode to game (don't use PC mode).

4) Next change the PS5 resolution to 1080p and see if the option to force 120hz activates.

One thing to keep in mind there is no input lag reduction on the 8 series at 120hz, rtings measured it, so you don't get that benefit, [only the 9 series onwards] but you do get the better motion/fluidity of 120fps.

Do you have a PC/laptop any kind with HDMI, plug that into the TV set it to 1080p output and see if it detects the 120Hz mode in the GPU driver control panel.

Other things to try
1) Unplug the TV from power socket at wall, leave it for 5 minutes (powering off via remote does not power off TV fully).

2) Connect the PS5 to a different HDMI input on the TV (make sure PS5 is not in standby and is off).

3) Power on TV and switch to the HDMI input PS5 is on and change the picture mode to game (don't use PC mode).

4) Next change the PS5 resolution to 1080p and see if the option to force 120hz activates.

One thing to keep in mind there is no input lag reduction on the 8 series at 120hz, rtings measured it, so you don't get that benefit, [only the 9 series onwards] but you do get the better motion/fluidity of 120fps.
Thank you very much for the above suggestion, but that didn't work either (I don't have a PC/laptop to test) ... I'm even accessing the C8's hidden debug menu and the resolution changes (when I change it on the PS5), but it stays at 60hz.

Last edited:
Well, I reset my C8 to its default settings and still no dice. I give up. Thank you for those who tried to assist me.

Ok. So, for S&Gs, I loaded up COD Warzone to see if I could get 120hz. I had my settings at automatic on the PS5, game mode on the TV... the screen flickered when Warzone loaded and, via the 'secret' debug menu on the LG, I was at 119hz and 120hz via the PS5 screen menu. I guess Borderlands 3 is bugged for 120? Anyways, I have everything at automatic on the PS5 and I get 120hz. I hope this helps others!

My question is, can you tell a difference between 60p & 120p?

I haven't played Warzone yet to see if I can notice anything (I only booted it up to see if I could reach 120). I plan on playing some this Friday. I'll let you know!

Honestly I can't really feel the difference going from 60fps to 120fps but It is noticeable going from 120fps back down to 60fps where for like 10 seconds I'm thinking oh this feels a little choppy then it's perfectly smooth once I've adjusted again.

This is on a C8 however and my opinion would maybe be different on a HDMI 2.1 set , for me I would much rather have 4k/60fps than 120fps/1080p but I'm not much of a competitive player anymore.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom