Lg C8 or sony Af8

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by 1969luis, May 23, 2018.

1. 1969luis

1969luis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one to buy?
    I liked E8, but I do not really like the glass, if I want to put the glass on the wall? I like the E7 more.
    I liked the C8 a very thin tv, but the base did not like it very much, but I think putting the wall so it looks more beautiful
    I wanted a tv to watch tv and movies that I see a lot
    I do not play on TV.
    The sony is very beautiful but more expensive

Which one has the best image quality?
    what is the best?What is your idea?

2. Fonzie73

Fonzie73
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same question.....
    For me it was a good idea with Sony to have Android on board but it seems to be not a good idea

3. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    LG Oled easily.

4. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,697
    Having owed both, take the C8

5. T1berious

T1berious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Voted with my wallet and just ordered a C8. The reviews I've read regarding the AF8 have been good but the OS issues sound pretty horrendous.

C8 sounds like its a joy to actually use and I'm a Sony fan boy.

What also alarms me is that I haven't seen much in the way of UK reviews (Was waiting for the AV Forums one).

Can't recall what review I read recently and it (or another Sony unit) crashed 4 times during review. :eek:

T1b

6. Simon F

Simon F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,740
    How do you find image depth, motion, sharpness and processing compare between the C8 and AF8?

7. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,697
    Motion is better on the Sony as is the processing (just) everything else the LG blows it away

8. Zigourney

Zigourney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I was weighing up the same, along with last years B7. I will be going with LG 65C8.

Android is a no go for me on the Sony, even though all my previous TV's have always been Sony.
    Only 2 full fat hdmi slot on the Sony.

I think you get more for your money on the LG. The webOS looks fantastic, has 4 full fat hdmi slots, supports pretty much all the HDR formats and the screen gets slightly brighter on the LG compared to the Sony. LG wins for me this time around. Probably place my order for the LG on the first week of July, just before the £500 cashback promo ends as I am waiting for the keys to my new house, due end of June.

9. Simon F

Simon F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,740
    Thanks. I looked at the Sony A1 & AF8 side by side to the C8 and the depth and processing/upscalling of the Sony looked far far better. To the point I questioned if the C8 was set up correctly. Judging by most comments and reviews the C8 is very close on upscalling but Sony wins on depth. I’m likely to get the 65C8, just need to sell my current TV. Listed it today.

10. 1969luis

1969luis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony has a bit less brightness but it's not very significant, I think.
    Already now I read somewhere in a review that Sony does not have as much brightness as the LGs to avoid precisely burn-in, is it true?
    My room does not have much light, I think the sony is better

Does sony already have Dolby Vision?
    Does the brightness of LG for sony make a lot of difference? the images are cleaner

price difference is worth to buy sony?
    I do not think the move in Sony or upscaling is worth so great of a price difference

11. technomen

technomen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
  12. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,697
    You can now get the C8 for £3500 plus £500 cashback so it now makes it a no brainer for the C8

13. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,932
    The peak brightness of the AF8 is just 600 nits with aggrsesive ABL which doesn't make it a right choice for bright HDR contents

14. Racy Jace

Racy Jace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I just had a demo of a c8 in Curry's and was quite impressed with the high frame rate demo. I'm torn between Sony A1 and LG C8 now!

15. Sandman66

Sandman66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have the AF8 and have turned the brightness down on cinema pro as it was too much imho. I love the tv, have zero regrets (and tbh the OS hasn’t been anywhere near as bad as I was expecting from all the comments)

16. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,519
    Or far less if you ask :D

17. Djuganight

Djuganight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Only those that do not understand a thing about OS can say something bad about Android system, especially comparing with other TV's so called "OS".
    The issue of Android OS is merely due to bad implementation by the brands on their TV's. Android is a proper OS system with endless possibilities and light years away better than “direct” competition, such as Samsung Tyzen or LG Web OS, or another on a TV at the present time.
    ANDROID IS TOP, PERIOD.

18. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    - May I ask why you say that? I have the Sony, but only after comparing it at length with the LG. Curious as to what makes you feel the LG is the best purchase...

19. CMPMERIDIAN

CMPMERIDIAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    CNET says no difference and to go with LG and save money. I was Going to go Sony but gut too good of a deal on the C8 to pass up

20. CMPMERIDIAN

CMPMERIDIAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    According to calibrator in US the 2018 C8 HDR is brighter Than the 2017 LG and the 2018 Sony OLED is less bright than 2017. In US I got $1000 off the C8 so it was an easy choice.

21. georgijlv

georgijlv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Android tv don't support youtube hdr playback,resume playback ,may be it is not deal breaker but

22. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    - Yeah, not a deal breaker at all. That's like dismissing a Porsche because it lacks Bluetooth connectivity...

23. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Depends on price, usually the Sony will be so overpriced it isn't worth it but since you may be outside the UK it may be different.

Here for example the AF8 price is sometimes more than last years higher end A1 :(

The Sony for me has too many drawbacks which you may or may not care about, Android TV and 2x HDMI 1.4 ports is frankly ridiculous on a TV at this level but if you connect up an AVR receiver that may not even matter.

Built in sound quality also plays a factor if you do not have your own sound-system as the Sony sounds a lot better, probably the best from a OLED TV.

I do not understand why they release a TV with such good sound but only 2x HDMI 2.0a ports.

Both tv's have been reviewed here so it should be clear to see which is the winner for you;
    Sony KD-55AF8 (AF8/ A8F) Review
    LG C8 (OLED65C8PLA) Review

Come back with some pricing if you are still not sure, if it's anything like here in the UK it would be silly to buy a new model now when you can get last year's models with minimal loss in picture quality for a lot less.

24. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I'm in the U.K. and I got an AF8 at a decent price (£3400 with a Panasonic ub900 player thrown in). Neither Android or 'only' having 2 x 2.0a ports has been a hindrance at all to be honest.

By the way, 'higher end' A1..(?) Nah, better build quality yeah, but the AF8 looks and feels premium & on the tech front, pretty much identical. Some say the AF8 is a little brighter, but beyond that, pretty much identical. I was happy to pay that little bit more for the preferred aesthetic & the fact it was a 2018 panel. Best £3k I've ever spent, bar none.

25. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I am glad you are happy with your new TV but to most people I am not sure you can justify the extra compared to one of the 2017 LG OLEDs for sale now at £2000. £1400 difference will mean more or less to one person compared to another but in terms of bang for buck I don't really think you can compromise.

But its normal for a TV that has just been released to carry a premium, the AF8 will be more competitive this time next year and will probably be closer in price to the C8 and B8.

26. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    - I'm not sure I can disagree with you! I think the 2017 model LGs are fantastic value too & I'm sure the argument for me spending an extra £1k or so is flimsy. My logic was that I needed to throw caution to the wind. I'd rather spend more and be 100% pleased with the purchase than save a little only to think 'what if I'd spent that little bit more'.

The upgrade was going to screw my wallet either way, so I figured if I'm gonna be poor now at least I won't have any regrets. But, to those who are more sensible, I've no doubt that a C7 would be a MORE than excellent choice & definitely a better value option than the Sony. The Sony impressed me considerably more than the LGs did, but '£1000 more impressive'...? Hmm, I'd be lying if I said yes to that...

27. georgijlv

georgijlv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I doubt you can compare old mt5891 chip installed in all current android tv ,with Porsche :) , in additional the DV playback on Sony tv is limited in comparison with LG webos tv.
    IMO the Chinese cheap android tv box (like xiaomi mibox or Ugoos am3)is much better in case bang for buck

28. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    - Hmm, I think the analogy works. This kind of focus on something that's quite insignificant is a little strange to me personally. If it's so important to you though, I respect that. DV playback on the AF8 is 'fine'. Looks lovely via Netflix and, with a suitable player, I'm sure it looks great on 4k disc too. I still think all this DV focus is a little odd, because it's so similar to standard HDR. So any 'limitations' are fine by me and, one would assume, the majority of owners...

29. pfloyd21

pfloyd21
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here the 65AF8 costs equivalent of 2,320 GBP, 65C8 is for 2,560. What would be your choice then?

30. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    - I'm biased because I think the AF8 is beyond stunning. I have seen a C8 in action though and it was really, really good obviously. Bottom line is, either tv is almost certainly gonna blow you away.

Flip a coin...you win however it lands...