LG C8 OLED with no Dolby Atmos?

nickdb

Novice Member
Hi all, I have a 2018 LG C8 OLED that's connected to a 2018 Denon receiver that's more than capable of Dolby Atmos - it works great with my 4k BD player.
However the TV will not output Atmos from any internal apps and from what I can tell all of my audio settings are correct.
At first I didn't think it was possible as I didn't have eARC but after some reading on here it appears that there are users that own C8's which output Dolby Atmos to soundbar's and receiver's. So I'm completely stumped!
Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

When viewing content on Netflix for example, "Dolby Vision" is displayed in the top corner of the screen upon start.
"Dolby Vision/Atmos" is only ever displayed when the Receiver is switched off.

sagaris99

Hi all, I have a 2018 LG C8 OLED that's connected to a 2018 Denon receiver that's more than capable of Dolby Atmos - it works great with my 4k BD player.
However the TV will not output Atmos from any internal apps and from what I can tell all of my audio settings are correct.
At first I didn't think it was possible as I didn't have eARC but after some reading on here it appears that there are users that own C8's which output Dolby Atmos to soundbar's and receiver's. So I'm completely stumped!
Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

When viewing content on Netflix for example, "Dolby Vision" is displayed in the top corner of the screen upon start.
"Dolby Vision/Atmos" is only ever displayed when the Receiver is switched off.

Settings --> Sound --> Sound Out --> Digital Sound Out - Should be HDMI ARC, and the option below set to Auto, not PCM.

nickdb

Novice Member
Settings --> Sound --> Sound Out --> Digital Sound Out - Should be HDMI ARC, and the option below set to Auto, not PCM.
Thanks but that was the first thing I checked still no Atmos 😡 I've had cinema receivers for decades and my Denon performs flawlessly with all of my other inputs.

sagaris99

Thanks but that was the first thing I checked still no Atmos 😡 I've had cinema receivers for decades and my Denon performs flawlessly with all of my other inputs.
Hmmm... the cable definitely goes ARC to ARC?

The fact it's playing atmos when just through the speakers with no amp suggests it's not sending the signal properly..... can you upload and image of the sound output settings on the C8? Just to make sure they're all the same as mine

nickdb

Novice Member
SOLVED!

Found a setting on my receiver that enabled it.
A little background so I don't sound like too much of a dumbass: When I originally purchased the TV - the receiver was new to me too - I'd read on forums that the C8 couldn't output an Atmos soundtrack without eARC, something LG had promised but never delivered. So I never really looked into it, plus I rarely use the receiver remote either as the LG one covers most functions.

Thanks to Sagaris99 for stepping in to help 👍

ur1d1um

Hi NickDB. I'm in exactly the same boat. No Atmos through my Yamaha RX-A3080 for apps but fine when using my 4k BD player.

May I ask if you could advise what settings you changed? Or if anyone else has wider advice? Thanks in advance

nickdb

Novice Member
Hi NickDB. I'm in exactly the same boat. No Atmos through my Yamaha RX-A3080 for apps but fine when using my 4k BD player.

May I ask if you could advise what settings you changed? Or if anyone else has wider advice? Thanks in advance
Hey,

Sorry for keeping you waiting but I basically found it by cycling through my Sound-Field options on my Denon.
Obviously it is set up as an Atmos system, when listening to something on my LG's Netflix app that's broadcast in Atmos I simply explored the Sound-Field buttons on my remote (I have 'Music' 'Movie' and 'Pure' buttons) and it finally displayed Atmos on the display!
I've always had the receiver set to DTS Neural X for the TV's apps and that seems to have overridden the Atmos setting.
Basically I was initially led to believe that I couldn't get Atmos from my TV so I never went out of my way to find out.
I can't remember how it'll work on a Yamaha but I believe it should be similar, I hope that's of some help to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom