LG C8 Lip Sync Issues

Agreed, wholeheartedly, although I wasn't aware of any lip sync issues before I took the plunge.
I have some amusingly bad video footage of the problem, in case anyone doubts it:

2019-12-21 20.07.15.mp4 20.07.15.mp4?dl=0

How they can maintain that isn't a problem is beyond me!!

This footage has now gone to the boss of Sevenoak,s and quite probably to the senior contact at LG too, for what good that will do.

Is the file too big to post here? Dropbox wants to access my contacts when I try and create an account, which doesn’t serm right to me. As for getting a response from LG, you’d have more luck shouting at a deaf person.

Clem

Is the file too big to post here? Dropbox wants to access my contacts when I try and create an account, which doesn’t serm right to me. As for getting a response from LG, you’d have more luck shouting at a deaf person.

Clem
You don’t need to open an account. Just watch it on the website.

Ta. Yes, I see what you mean, and I’ve experienced something, perhaps not quite that much adrift, more times than I can now remember.

Clem

What about the LG OLED top model TV:s that only has externally connected sound they don’t have a problem do they?

Oddly, I see far more lip sync problems on BR playback using my Panasonic UB820 than I do on my Sony X700. Both have lip sync set to 0ms delay. Perhaps that’s an example of device compatibility that I suggested previously. It shouldn’t matter though. There’s some additional processing going on in the TVs that’s causing this, I suspect. That short video clip posted above is a good catch though, but whether LG will do anything about it is another matter.

Clem

I asked another LG c9 owner and he also reported 100 ms delay through internal speakers. But as expected he didn't notice any lipsync issue before I told him.

I also read when using earc soundbars lipsync issue is fixed. Probably due to earc auto lipsync parameter implementation. Someone using Samsung hw q70r confirmed it.

If eARC is the fix then there is going to be an awful lot of unhappy LG owners out there whose TVs don’t have the latest hardware.

Exactly, and as I understand it, it depends on how the manufacturers have interpreted the e-ARC standards, thus further making it hit-and-miss...

Well, LG have thrown my call for a refund (a.k.a. "uplift code") back in my face and told me to take it up with the dealers or go through the Ombudsman if necessary.
They're still clinging to the firmware update as an excuse, which is pathetic as I reported this way before the current firmware update.
I'm talking to SevenOaks now to see if we can come to some arrangement...

The new Panasonic TX-55HZ980 looks very interesting - and it has eARC...

Last edited:
Well, LG have thrown my call for a refund (a.k.a. "uplift code") back in my face and told me to take it up with the dealers or go through the Ombudsman if necessary.
They're still clinging to the firmware update as an excuse, which is pathetic as I reported this way before the current firmware update.
I'm talking to SevenOaks now to see if we can come to some arrangement...

The new Panasonic TX-55HZ980 looks very interesting - and it has eARC...
Did you get anywhere with SevenOaks?

Sadly not... they've gone silent too. I suspect despite the best intentions of the salesman, he's hit a brick wall further up. I think the best I can hope for now is to wait until the new Panasonic TX-55HZ980B comes down in price after a few months, then sell the B8 on ebay. I could get the 950B but this doesn't have HDMI2.1 which I'd prefer to have.

Not happy... I certainly won't be recommending LG products!!

That’s a shame. Pretty poor that LG don’t care about their customers.
Is the 980B just a 950B with HDMI 2.1or are there other changes too?

Why is anyone surprised at LG’s stance here? They don’t care. Complaints like this are small in number, and will just be brushed off, even if there is a problem. It will cost too much to investigate and fix. Far better just to ignore it, and it will go away. In my experience all companies are the same. They (indirectly) have your money, so tough! My complaint about lip sync issues on my SM8500 has gone quiet too. Of course, it could be that the penny has dropped and LG has discovered a nasty problem that it can’t easily fix, at least on older hardware. Unlikely, I suspect. As for a replacement, well the big problem in my case is that none of the other major manufacturers offer something that matches what my LG offers — DV and HDR10 support, full range of apps., Freesat, etc. Answers on a postcard please!

I haven't checked in too much detail; I think it gets an upgrade in the motion processing performance and a few more "Hollywood tuned" calibrations that the higher-up sets had in the 2019 model range.

The chap from Sevenoaks phoned me back a short while ago to say they are still on the case and are hoping to arrange a replacement (different) TV - we shall see. Great enthusiasm and perseverance on their part!

The Panasonic has probably the best compatibility with all formats that I'm aware of, but is definitely missing a few apps such as Disney+; however as I've now got a Chromecast Ultra anyway, that's less of an issue. Frankly that's the only other option I'd consider as the others are saddled with Android OS which I would never get again.

Hmm, turns out my external speaker doesn't support eARC or HDMI2.1, so I'm wondering if the GZ950B might be a better bet, as it's on offer at £1099 whereas the 980 will be £1699 when it comes out in a week or two! Hmm...

Get Sevenoaks to chuck in a decent soundbar by way of compensation for the hassle! :D

A nice idea ;-) but no-one does a more appropriate soundbar for our installation (one place, below the TV, has to do all the surround as well as stereo hence the Yamaha YSP5600 sound projector)...

Their store manager is now popping over next Friday afternoon to log the problem for himself...

YSP5600? I have the older YSP4100. Great bit of kit, had mine for nearly 10y now. I'm drawn to the YSP5600, but not its price. Pity it doesn't pass DV or HDR10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom