LG C8 Lip Sync Issues

rgledhill

I got it on a Black Friday offer, though it was still expensive. It does accept Dolby Atmos now, which it didn't in earlier firmware versions, but as you say it doesn't pass through Dolby Vision or HDR, which is annoying given that I have a Chromecast Ultra attached to it, rather than the TV, to get round the lip-sync issues!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
It’s a PITA with all the extra switching — set the TV to the correct HDMI input for video from a BR player, then the bar for the audio, but that seems to be standard at present, but if eARC is properly implemented, which sadly seems unlikely, routing everything via the TV should fix that. Ho-hum. I can forgive that inconvenience though, because the audio quality is excellent, and I’m sure the 5600 is a big step up from the 4100.

rgledhill

Yes, the switching's a bit of a nuisance but not a big deal. The sound quality is superb, particularly in the clarity of the speech. We had a Naim Mu-So before which had better bass but as often happens with smaller speakers trying to create big bass, the mid-range and treble becomes a bit closed-in and claustrophobic. The Yamaha has a clarity of speech that I've not heard on any sound bar at any price. It also has a subwoofer out (radio link included in the kit) which means it integrates beautifully with my sub.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I've just received an email from LG UK regarding the lip sync issues that I've flagged with my SM8500 TV. According to LG's engineers, the problem is that I'm using incompatible equipment, and that by extraction, my LG TV can't be faulty. WTF? As I pointed out in my somewhat angry reply, if I don't get any issues if I use my kit with either my Sony or Panasonic TVs but do when the LG is in situ, then that would suggest that the LG TV is the device having compatibility issues, which of course goes back to the heart of the issue in the first place!

As I mentioned previously, either LG just doesn't understand the issue, or they do, but don't want to go to the hassle of fixing it. 0/10 for customer support, methinks. Lucky Goldstar? Load of Garbage!

rgledhill

Yeesh, that pretty much matches the brush-off I continue to get from LG. The problem is LG's customer services are clueless and are under pressure just to close off customer complaints so they just use any excuse under the sun until you go away, basically.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I’ve asked them to take another look. I mentioned that their email didn’t even tell me which piece of my kit was supposedly incompatible. Utter nonsense, not the sort of thing that you should expect from a large multinational company, but there you go.

rgledhill

Unfortunately it's exactly the response I'd expect from a large company which has far too many layers between the customer and the technical development department.

rgledhill

Well, there's a surprise! LG have come back via SevenOaks to say they're going to issue an "uplift letter" which is nonsense-speak for a full shop credit! All being well this means the TV will be returned to them and I can buy one that works. Slightly frustratingly the Panasonic TX-55GZ950B isn't in stock anywhere and the new HZ980B has only just come in, so is at max price (£1699!!) so I'm not quite sure what to do about the price differential.
Nearly there!! :)

rgledhill

So far so good - SevenOaks have done a special deal on the Panasonic for £1499 even though they haven't even got their stock in yet, so £360 change in cash and it's mine! Waiting for stock to arrive then take the LG in and take the Panny home :D