LG C8 65-inch OLED TV Video Review & Comments

Somewhat disconcertingly whilst watching this most excellent OLED review was a pop up advert selling hair transplants whilst Count Withers was extolling the virtues of this display :confused:... And the name of the clinic... Steven Clinic. :eek: Do AV Forumites get a discount Steve? :cool:

Somewhat disconcertingly whilst watching this most excellent OLED review was a pop up advert selling hair transplants whilst Count Withers was extolling the virtues of this display :confused:... And the name of the clinic... Steven Clinic. :eek: Do AV Forumites get a discount Steve? :cool:
This targeted advertising is getting out of hand!

Obviously targeted, at those like me, whose hair has Withered.....

Great review Steve, I'm bowled over by mine.

P.s. sign me up for the hair transplant group discount! :D

So does this mean the C series now has better audio than the E without the curved sound deflector or on similar as the E has forward firing ?

Great review btw...I love my 7 series but it’s difficult not to feel slight envy of the 8 series...I must resist...until the 9 series ...

My JS9000 has just been deemed as unreapairably boinked. I have an extended warranty and paid nigh full price for it which was more than this C8.

Now sadly I very much doubt I'll get the perfect response of "we're going to give you a C8." I don't think I'll even get half the cost of it. I dont really have the money to stump up for the rest of it. But my God I'm very tempted. You can live on bread and water right?

Great review as always, Steve!

A few things come to mind after watching it all the way through.

Is the backwards tilt adjustable when using the Alpine stand? I've seen the set in store and it had quite an A1E-ish style tilt.

C8 being the "sweet spot" in the range this year. I can see why you'd say it, but I have a strong suspicion the B8 will be the most discounted model come Black Friday and that picture quality may be identical to C8+. I am really looking forward to hearing your opinion about that model, assuming a review is in the pipeline ;).

Is the backwards tilt adjustable when using the Alpine stand? I've seen the set in store and it had quite an A1E-ish style tilt.

C8 being the "sweet spot" in the range this year. I can see why you'd say it, but I have a strong suspicion the B8 will be the most discounted model come Black Friday and that picture quality may be identical to C8+. I am really looking forward to hearing your opinion about that model, assuming a review is in the pipeline ;).
There's absolutely no tilt to the panel, it must have been set up on an uneven surface in the store you visited.

There's absolutely no tilt to the panel, it must have been set up on an uneven surface in the store you visited.
Fantastic news! I thought that may be the case. I did ask and was incorrectly informed that it wasn't adjustable. In Steve we trust!

Steve when you review your next LG OLED stop waving that bloody remote about,spent more time watching that than you.Great review though :);)

Steve when you review your next LG OLED stop waving that bloody remote about,spent more time watching that than you.Great review though :);)
Yeah sorry about that, I didn't realise the cursor was moving around behind me until afterwards.

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't realise the cursor was moving around behind me until afterwards.

Did you mean to spell out the word HELP? :)

I agree about WebOS, its good to see them sticking with it and fine tuning it year on year, rather than go with something new to look, well, new.

Did you mean to spell out the word HELP? :)

I agree about WebOS, its good to see them sticking with it and fine tuning it year on year, rather than go with something new to look, well, new.
I keep telling LG's Korean engineers that there's an old saying in English – "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I was going dizzy. I must mention that this was after your hair transplant advert by the way.

I’m really surprised (with Sony) that year on year Sony tv reviews are great except for Android and it’s pointed out across many reviews and year on year WebOs is praised. You’d think Sony would remedy this. WebOs is fantastic and as we use more apps these days than traditional OTA viewing (or at least I do), a reliable, fast and easy to customise OS is a must, something I didn’t appreciate until owning an LG.

Installed my new LG65C8 last week as a replacement for my 60inch Pioneer Kuro, goodness how I loved that tv! Anyway, the LG is looking like it's worth the investment in terms of HDR video picture quality because the Pioneer topped out at 1080p. Strangely text resolution was clearer on the Pioneer when connected it to my laptop using MS Office apps, still trying to figure out why? Also, I'll need to turn on the tv room heating for the first time in years come the autumn as the Pioneer used to chuck out heat like an electric fire.

Installed my new LG65C8 last week as a replacement for my 60inch Pioneer Kuro, goodness how I loved that tv! Anyway, the LG is looking like it's worth the investment in terms of HDR video picture quality because the Pioneer topped out at 1080p. Strangely text resolution was clearer on the Pioneer when connected it to my laptop using MS Office apps, still trying to figure out why? Also, I'll need to turn on the tv room heating for the first time in years come the autumn as the Pioneer used to chuck out heat like an electric fire.
We have ours in the bedroom. Next to it is our large "portable" aircon and I swear to god some nights when the missus has gone to bed early and fell asleep with the TV still on, I've had to put the airon on to cool the room.

Anyway TV shop said today that will get back to me soon about replacing my TV. I really want this TV.

I keep telling LG's Korean engineers that there's an old saying in English – "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Thank you Steve for this great review.
Are you planning on doing the best picture setting for this tv?

Well, it's only October but it's looking like I was at least partially wrong. The 65" C8 is discounted here in Finland this week to €2189 (£1912~), which I find a ridiculously good value proposition. Mine will be arriving Monday, in the meantime I have to brush up on additional steps for calibrating OLED.

I really don't understand how come in some smaller countries with less competition among retailers you can get prices like this (Finland post above) and in uk where competition is supposedly stronger, they are all stuck on £2800?!

Because they know they can get away with it would be my guess.

I really don't understand how come in some smaller countries with less competition among retailers you can get prices like this (Finland post above) and in uk where competition is supposedly stronger, they are all stuck on £2800?!
Yeah, tell me about it! I've been an expat for 10 years and UK prices are certainly one thing I don't miss. Particularly bad in recent years with the weak pound.

The TV was stuck here all year around that £2800 mark (converted) but one retailer comes up with the limited time offer and the other two big ones had to respond. In previous years what happens here has been a sign of things to come there, so you might be surprised around Black Friday.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom