Question LG C7 OLED or Sony x900e

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by DaveWales, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DaveWales

DaveWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, i bought the x90 last week and have it in my front room. However, i can still swap it if i want. I went to talk to curry's yesterday about the C7. I was going to swap it but the sales rep talked me out of it. He showed me a clip of football where the ball has these little flickers / artefacts around them. However, as we know, its so hard to compare all relevant content in the store with some psuedo swot standing over you!

The Tv is for general viewing but the icing on the cake is watching netflix and Blurays at night on my own. I need it to be good with freesat content too (i believe thats 50hz interlaced or something?)

Regarding the X90 i think its a good Tv, but the freesat is without a planner and there is no ITV catch up supported. The pic is good, but sometimes the brights seem to take ver ever so slighty. If the OLED is amazing then I'm willing to pay the extra £500 and swap it, but i need to act fast!

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,810
    I would be reluctant to pay £1500 when people we're picking up the B7 not so long ago for close to £1200. At these prices I think the Sony represents better bang for buck.

Motion is a mixed bag between the Sony XE90 and LG OLEDs. The Sony has the ability to use dark frame insertion and interpolation to increase motion resolution further, whilst the LG only has interpolation.

In layman terms this means:

Out of the box they both have the same judder.
    But an LCD lets you reduce judder without also introducing soap opera effect, something the LG OLED cannot.
    OLED overall has superior motion because there is next to no blur, so despite having no dark frame insertion like the LCD, it certainly will have less blur.

Motion is very subjective and one person will say they prefer OLED, one LCD.

But what really matters is the motion settings you choose on a TV. Both OLED and LCD use sample and hold tech, so unlike a Plasma TV where motion is very smooth out of the box, you do have to use motion settings to smooth things out a bit, especially with sport.

3. DaveWales

DaveWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, thanks, so which would you go for for picture quality as the main variable?

4. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    For dark night time viewing on blu rays and netflix, there really is no contest the oled wins hands down; however, as @Dodgexander stated above, is sit £500 better? only you can decide that.

5. DaveWales

DaveWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Haha dollag, thanks. Yeah i know, but without first buying it and returning the sony I won't know. I'm happy to pay the extra if the picture is great!

6. MMachine78

MMachine78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have the c6 and football is fine...best tv I have owned and if your keeping it for a long while and can afford it then don’t settle for the Sony just to save a bit of money...still makes me smile putting on something 4k.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,810
    Are you using Motionflow on your current TV? Should give you a good indication of whether you feel you need to use TruMotion on the LG.

The comparison the sales guy made in the store is full of different variables, he could have been using the LG without TruMotion turned up, in which case it will look juddery, just the same as your current TV with Motionflow off.

8. PJS76

PJS76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    An interesting comparison and motion explanation. I would stick with xe90 and pocket 500...but then after months of looking and still not pulling the trigger on a new set that easy for me to say. Interesting Currys should say that though, they always try to sell me the c7.