• Watch our Live Stream podcast now. This week we interview Chris Mullins from Sony Professional about the latest native Sony 4K projectors and we discuss the best Hi-Fi products of the year. Join us and ask the team questions

Question LG C7 - is this a problem?

jslater

Hi All,

I've had the oled65c7 for about a month or so now and have been using the B7 recommended settings but, having let everything settle down, I'm not 100% whether the TV's actually got a problem or not.

The first 3 pics are via SkyHD & the Billions series. Since it's also shot in UHD I'd expect the PQ to be very good. However, as you can see from the photos, there's a lot of banding (probably not the right term) on grey-dark scenes. This could be down to the compression methods they use, but wanted to check here. Expert Dark mod'd settings were used.

The second set of images are from a Bluray of the Bourne Identity, using a PS4 as a source & connected with recently purchased premium HDMI cables, as recommended per one of the threads.

With any BD I've played I'm noticing quite an element of graining, which I don't see really when watching Sky. The first image of Matt Damon is using the mod'd cinema mode, the last is with Vivid set (no I don't use this ever!) just to try and highlight the problem more, erm, vividly.

Is this simply a case of all systems normal?

TIA,

James.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 171211

What you call banding is actually called posterisation or posterization if you're American and can't spell. It's what happens when the source has been compressed badly or starved of bitrate. Not uncommon on Sky. Some TVs are better than others (the Sony models, the new LG C8 and above) at hiding this effect and blend the colours more.

Graining is probably also down to the source. Often films or programs shot digitally have artificial film grain added and sometimes they studios go a bit crazy with the effect. Without knowing what Sky's source for a program or film is, it's difficult to know if their copy has been "enhanced" or not.

Both are nothing to worry about.

SeeMoreDigital

What you call banding is actually called posterisation or posterization if you're American and can't spell. It's what happens when the source has been compressed badly or starved of bitrate.
Posterisation can also occur if the original source content is incorrectly transcoded 'on-the-fly' prior to transmitting/streaming.

I receive a fair amount of 4K encoded content in either 4:2:2 ProRes HQ or 10-bit HEVC and have seen a lot of posterisation after it's been incorrectly re-encoded to 2K 8-bit AVC...

Rmoliv

Novice Member
You're not alone. I've been experiencing the same issue on my LG TV. I thought it was grain but probably posterization is a more adequate term. It's content-dependent. The image quality when I watch Lost in Space (Netflix) is perfect whereas Breaking Bad (also on Netflix) looks totally "posterized" - I just can't watch it. Vivid mode makes graininess/poster-like image stand out more and cinema mode is where it's less noticeable from my experience. I wish we could get rid of this...

jslater

Thanks all for the great responses, thought it was normal but just wanted to check rather than putting up with something that could have been fixed.

Weirdly, I didn't notice it as much on my 10 year old Kuro, but maybe that's down to the difference in screen size as well.

What tipped me to post was I even a touch of grain on Rogue One but, as you say,that could be their desire to make it like that.

Just got picky thinking that literally everything was going to be so much better in the OLED world!

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews
Top Bottom