Question LG C6 - What Soundbar? Multiple HDMI 2.0 inputs?

HDready2015

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just bought my first HD TV - LG C6.

Want now to buy my first soundbar.

I will be using a Blu Ray player and Tivo box.

I read that I should plug my sources into the SB via HDMI (2.0 preferably). Is this right?

Can anyone recommend a good SB with multiple HDMI inputs for less than £300? Or do I have to spend more?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Sometimes takes a while to get a response on this forum. I'm interested in any replies you get, I've recently bought a C6 & have a blu ray & v6 box, but my Sony sound base doesn't integrate well with it and I'm looking to replace with a sound bar I can wall mount.

Thanks. Yes, it seems like there are lots of potential hiccups that can occur and buried settings to be configured when linking things together.
Cheers. How's the quality of the Virgin HD service on the C6?

Normal HD is good, but I haven't watched anything in 4k from the v6 box yet. I would have to directly connect it to the tv for that and it's currently going through the sound base. The 4k stuff I've seen has been via the Amazon app on the tv, which is great.

The UI is the same, but it runs so much faster than the old TiVo, is a lot smaller and can record 6 shows at once. Virgin seem keen to get people to adopt it. They contacted me out of the blue mid contract and offered me one at no cost, without having to sign a new contract, I was stunned!

'HDMI 2' is not what you should be looking out for - instead look for the Features you require on the HDMI Input/Output (HDCP 2.2, 2160p, 60Hz, ARC ...

Joe

Features to look for are:

ARC (Audio Return Channel) - as you will likely use that for your TV audio for its onboard tuner and any streaming Apps.

Optical Audio - handy if you run into any issue with ARC.

4K UHD_- does it support 2160p, require for the newer UHD sources.

HDCP 2.2 - needs to support the latest encryption scheme to work with the latest UHD Sources.

Joe

Last edited:
Features to look for are:

ARC (Audio Return Channel) - as you will likely use that for your TV audio for its onboard tuner and any streaming Apps.

Optical Audio - handy if you run into any issue with ARC.

4K UHD_- does it support 2160p, require for the newer UHD sources.

HDCP 2.2 - needs to support the latest encryption scheme to work with the latest UHD Sources.

Joe

Thanks Joe. It looks like all of these are essential, with optical as a reasonable backup. So I need these and sufficient HDMI 2 ports for all my sources...

'Thanks Joe. It looks like all of these are essential, with optical as a reasonable backup. So I need these and sufficient HDMI 2 ports for all my sources...'.

Ignore HDMI version numbers - it doesn't tell you what the ports actually support as most Features are optional.

Keep in mind your TV can potentially also switch multiple HDMI Sources - it may support 5.1 via HDMI or be limited to 2.0 (check the TV User Manual).

Joe

'Thanks Joe. It looks like all of these are essential, with optical as a reasonable backup. So I need these and sufficient HDMI 2 ports for all my sources...'.

Ignore HDMI version numbers - it doesn't tell you what the ports actually support as most Features are optional.

Keep in mind your TV can potentially also switch multiple HDMI Sources - it may support 5.1 via HDMI or be limited to 2.0 (check the TV User Manual).

Joe

Thanks a lot Joe. The TV has three HDMI 2.0a inputs with support for Ultra HD 4K 50/60p, HDR and HDCP2.2. One HDMI supports ARC.

Does this make a difference to whether I need multiple HDMI ports on the soundbar?

TV - if one of the HDMI ports is labelled as ARC enabled that is the port you would use to connect to an ARC enabled port on the Soundbar, that would leave you with two usable HDMI ports for external Source devices.

TV - if instead you used an Optical port on the TV to connect to an Optical port on the Soundbar you would have all three HDMI ports available for external Source devices on the TV.

TV - many only support 2.0 audio via HDMI Inputs, some also support 5.1 via HDMI Inputs (check the User Manual of the TV). Some folk will fear that 2.0 is going to be a big issue - the reality being that with a budget Soundbar its not as big an issue as with a well specified AVR and 5.1 speaker system.

Joe

Help! I'm confused and drowning in acronyms!

My TV is an LG C6
My Blu-ray player is a Panasonic DMP-UB700EBK
And I have a Virgin Media TiVo box

I would like to control sound from all devices via one remote (ARC?) and want to know the optimal configuration for sound. What should be plugged into what?

Thanks a lot.

ARC (Audio Return Channel) - sends audio from your TV to your Sound system.

CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) - allows devices connected via HDMI to Interact with/Control each other.

ARC relies on CEC - CEC does not rely on ARC.

As you are using your TV for Vision and Sound ARC is not relevant to you.

CEC - is unpredictable at best. Step One is to connect your devices via HDMI and enable CEC on all devices and see how you get on. Step Two is decide if it is doing what you require or being a nightmare. Step Three is usually to disable CEC and purchase a Harmony Remote and configure it to your system.

Joe

Not much changes - you either connect your Sources to the TV via HDMI or to the Soundbar via HDMI, connect the TV to the Soundbar via HDMI and go through Steps One, Two and Three above.

As CEC can be pretty flaky also ensure your TV has an Optical Out and your Soundbar has an Optical In so you have that option if you cannot use ARC (which as stated above requires CEC to be enabled).

It is worth noting that many TV's only support 2-Channel audio from Sources connected via HDMI so if you wish to 'optimise' your Audio it is often best to go with a Soundbar with enough HDMI Inputs (plus 1 x ARC HDMI port for the TV) and connect the Sources to the Soundbar.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom