LG C6 TV Owners and Discussion Thread Part 3

No issues with Currys hopefully!! I have the same TV and so far no issues since purchase
No problem with currys, they said if no 3d panel found they will replace with another oled or a voucher.

Does anyone know how to get dplay on the C6. tried through webOS browser, funny it plays the adverts but won’t play the videos!

I bought my C6 in July 2017 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty. Then in March/April 2018 I needed a replacement screen because the first screen developed 5 dead/stuck pixels. It's been fantastic ever since but I've noticed this past 2 weeks you can see the YouTube logo in the top left hand corner from the built in YouTube app still present on pinks and orange colours. I tried a pixel refresh and it hasn't removed it and obviously over the 2 week period, the TV has done its 4 hour cycle clean a lot of times and it's still visible.

I don't want to have to send this in for repair as I know they now don't include the 3D filter in their replacement screens now and I have over 200 3D Blu Ray's that I use regularly. Why did they take the 3D filter out of the new screens? Surely it only cost pennies for the filter?! They really need to make 3D TVs again IMO as 3D is much more of a leap than HDR.

I messaged LG and got the usually "Whilst image retention is not covered by the warranty with ourselves" blah blah blah...
I'm still currently emailing them back and forth though but obviously it's frustrating because I don't want to get rid of this TV as the 3D feature is so important to me.
It is a little worrying that in 28 months I've already replaced the screen once and looks like I need a new one now. I baby this thing as well and we don't watch live TV at all. We only use the built in apps etc.

Super Sad Face.

Should be lawsuits against manufacturer's, how can a tv be fit for purpose if you cant even watch what you want on it, meaning baby sitting a tv because threat of burn in/image retention, a guarantee should cover everything, rant over, and yes 3D filter cost pennies to add, LG got rid of 3D just as they had perfected it.

As i was upgrading to 4K i bought cheap (but good looking :cool:) cables off ebay, i assumed i needed new cables because of all the marketing sourrounding "4K 60fps" cables at the time, it turned out that even old cables can do 4K at 60fps :rolleyes::laugh:.
All they gave me was grief, i kept seeing flashing white lines and dots when i was using my PS4, maybe the cheap "4K 60fps" cables were suffering from interference? not enough shielding? who knows.

Try buying some cheap but well made cables (amazon basics are supposed to be up to the job) to see if it helps?

Not my video but here's what the problem i had looked like, if you see this buy new cables:

Funny this has been happening to me lately on my Xbox One X however I'm using the cable Microsoft supplied. Any cables you would recommend?

I bought my C6 in July 2017 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty. Then in March/April 2018 I needed a replacement screen because the first screen developed 5 dead/stuck pixels. It's been fantastic ever since but I've noticed this past 2 weeks you can see the YouTube logo in the top left hand corner from the built in YouTube app still present on pinks and orange colours. I tried a pixel refresh and it hasn't removed it and obviously over the 2 week period, the TV has done its 4 hour cycle clean a lot of times and it's still visible.

I don't want to have to send this in for repair as I know they now don't include the 3D filter in their replacement screens now and I have over 200 3D Blu Ray's that I use regularly. Why did they take the 3D filter out of the new screens? Surely it only cost pennies for the filter?! They really need to make 3D TVs again IMO as 3D is much more of a leap than HDR.

I messaged LG and got the usually "Whilst image retention is not covered by the warranty with ourselves" blah blah blah...
I'm still currently emailing them back and forth though but obviously it's frustrating because I don't want to get rid of this TV as the 3D feature is so important to me.
It is a little worrying that in 28 months I've already replaced the screen once and looks like I need a new one now. I baby this thing as well and we don't watch live TV at all. We only use the built in apps etc.

Super Sad Face.
Very much doubt that you will get LG to replace your screen with a 3d one. My c6 died and needed a new panel ,but Currys could bot source one from LG. So they just game me a voucher for 1.3k to go and buy a replacement tv. Was happy with that as I only paid 550 for it a few months back off these forums.

Would have preferred a new panel on it as I liked watching 3d movies once in a while, but now that option has gone and have a good bundle of 3d movies gathering dust.

Very much doubt that you will get LG to replace your screen with a 3d one. My c6 died and needed a new panel ,but Currys could bot source one from LG. So they just game me a voucher for 1.3k to go and buy a replacement tv. Was happy with that as I only paid 550 for it a few months back off these forums.

Would have preferred a new panel on it as I liked watching 3d movies once in a while, but now that option has gone and have a good bundle of 3d movies gathering dust.

I know I won't get a 3D panel. LG have already said to me that they don't produce them anymore. It's just frustrating that after 3 years of release, they now don't produce them with the filter in and actually I'm sure they stopped making them just after I got my first screen replaced to be honest, so it's more like 2 years.

Anyone watched season 3 of the crown on netflix at all? It's meant to be Dolby Vision but is playing as regular HDR for me. Other netflix DV shows tested correctly switch to DV.

Anyone watched season 3 of the crown on netflix at all? It's meant to be Dolby Vision but is playing as regular HDR for me. Other netflix DV shows tested correctly switch to DV.

Some titles on Netflix are in Low Latency Dolby Vision, which our TVs don´t support...hence you can see it displayed in HDR only. I´m aware of a few, majority advertised in DV plays in DV on C6, though. You just need to accept that as there most certainly won´t be a Low Latency DV update for 2016 sets.

Some titles on Netflix are in Low Latency Dolby Vision, which our TVs don´t support...hence you can see it displayed in HDR only. I´m aware of a few, majority advertised in DV plays in DV on C6, though. You just need to accept that as there most certainly won´t be a Low Latency DV update for 2016 sets.

I have an E6 OLED TV and encountered the same issue with the local app only playing Dolby Vision content in 24 fps. The Crown is actually 25 fps content and the native app won't support DV at 25 fps. If you want 25 fps and Dolby Vision you need to use an external device like an amazon fire stick or UHD player.

Surprisingly I found this out on my USA imported Philips BDP-7502 player which at the time was the cheapest Dolby Vision Player and has Netflix built in and when I played 25 fps that switched to HDR on my TV app the same content on the Philips it kicked into Dolby Vision mode and surprisingly even more so that the run-time matched that on the TV which was the 25 fps speed. DV on the E6 at least supported over HDMI at 24 25 and 30Hz but only 24Hz in the native app.

Last edited:
Evening all.

For some reason, my HDMI1 input has stopped displaying UHD material fom my SkyQ box.
It's worked grand for the last 12-18 months (as long as I have SkyQ), but for some reason this evening it made the Q box revert to 1080i, and when I tried to set the default picture to UHD, the box came up with some UH1001 (I think) error.
Switched the hdmi cable to HDMI2, and I was able to switch the box to UHD and start watching again.

There has been nothing changed in months, so it's strange that HDMI1 would just stop working.

Any ideas?

Twin Turbo. I only had a similar glitch once and I got round it by literally unplugging the TV from the power socket and then plugging it back in. Might be worth a shot on yours.

Twin Turbo. I only had a similar glitch once and I got round it by literally unplugging the TV from the power socket and then plugging it back in. Might be worth a shot on yours.

That worked a treat!

Was so annoyed that it had happened that I never thought to try it! Did it with the Sky box, but not the tv!

Still love the tv.
Still annoyed that Dolby Vision locks some of the settings that I want off.

I'm not fully impressed with @Richer Sounds

Got this reply about my pixel wear.

"Thanks for your patience here.

I’m happy to back up any phone call in writing should we speak, I’m also happy to talk to you outside of work hours if this works better for you; it undoubtedly will bring the matter to a conclusion more quickly.

In response to your points I understand this is not screen burn, something which only happened to the older Plasma technology, and I agree this is pixel wear. The red pixels have worn out from regular use something which is accelerated by displaying static images on the TV of that colour such as Youtube (or images which use predominantly red in the colour mix).

The LG manual warns against doing this..

“Displaying a still image for a prolonged period of time may cause image sticking. Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time”

Our warranty document refers to this in the following exception…

a. Failure to comply with the manufacturer’s instructions for use, whether by the named or any other person

I understand that the TV is only idle for a few minutes (our office B6 is the same) but the red pixels have worn out from cumulative use here. If you’re not using an aerial to watch terrestrial TV and mainly viewing Youtube then the content isn’t varied enough to prevent the accelerated wear. For instance, the Youtube logo is static when browsing videos and returns when you go back to the search or Youtube home screen so using this VOD service regularly has caused what you’re experiencing.

Of course the last thing we would want is an unhappy customer so we will try to compromise with you to resolve the matter.

We can repair the set for you as a one, gesture of goodwill. You will however lose the 3D aspect of the TV.

If the 3D aspect of the equation isn’t a deal breaker for you, and you’d prefer not to have a repair, we can agree to part exchange the set and offer you a credit note or refund for £800.

If you want to keep the set, then alternatively we can offer a partial refund of £400.

Should neither of these options be acceptable then we refer your complaint to the relevant ombudsman of which we’re a member, the details of the organization are below..

Regards
Tom"

I phoned LG up to ask them about this "Displaying a still image for a prolonged period of time may cause image sticking. Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time”

Their reply was "we're talking, say you have a paused image on for longer than, I don't know say.. 4 hours or so. That would be considered quite a long time"

I definitely don't watch the YouTube app for 4 hours a week, let alone 4 hours in a day. Hopefully they will come back with a better offer.

I’m happy to back up any phone call in writing should we speak, I’m also happy to talk to you outside of work hours if this works better for you; it undoubtedly will bring the matter to a conclusion more quickly.

In response to your points I understand this is not screen burn, something which only happened to the older Plasma technology, and I agree this is pixel wear. The red pixels have worn out from regular use something which is accelerated by displaying static images on the TV of that colour such as Youtube (or images which use predominantly red in the colour mix).

“Displaying a still image for a prolonged period of time may cause image sticking. Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time”

a. Failure to comply with the manufacturer’s instructions for use, whether by the named or any other person

I understand that the TV is only idle for a few minutes (our office B6 is the same) but the red pixels have worn out from cumulative use here. If you’re not using an aerial to watch terrestrial TV and mainly viewing Youtube then the content isn’t varied enough to prevent the accelerated wear. For instance, the Youtube logo is static when browsing videos and returns when you go back to the search or Youtube home screen so using this VOD service regularly has caused what you’re experiencing.

Of course the last thing we would want is an unhappy customer so we will try to compromise with you to resolve the matter.

We can repair the set for you as a one, gesture of goodwill. You will however lose the 3D aspect of the TV.

If the 3D aspect of the equation isn’t a deal breaker for you, and you’d prefer not to have a repair, we can agree to part exchange the set and offer you a credit note or refund for £800.

If you want to keep the set, then alternatively we can offer a partial refund of £400.

Should neither of these options be acceptable then we refer your complaint to the relevant ombudsman of which we’re a member, the details of the organization are below..

Regards
Tom"

I phoned LG up to ask them about this "Displaying a still image for a prolonged period of time may cause image sticking. Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a long period of time”

Their reply was "we're talking, say you have a paused image on for longer than, I don't know say.. 4 hours or so. That would be considered quite a long time"

I definitely don't watch the YouTube app for 4 hours a week, let alone 4 hours in a day. Hopefully they will come back with a better offer.
I'd push for a new b9/c9 as a replacement, @Richer Sounds on here might be able to help

Regards
Tom"

Hi there,

I was sorry to read you've been having problems with your OLED television.

So that I may help resolve the matter, please can you drop me a PM with your details?

Many thanks

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

@Just Some Ugly - I have the YT logo too and also in the BRHC of the screen I have the small yellow YT rectangle, again only visible on Red screens. Have a look on yours and see if it is there.

@Just Some Ugly - I have the YT logo too and also in the BRHC of the screen I have the small yellow YT rectangle, again only visible on Red screens. Have a look on yours and see if it is there.

Yeah I have the yellow mark as well.

I've sorted everything with Richer Sounds now, but I've finally recieved a reply from LG. Took them over 2 weeks to reply.

"Good Morning.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry that you have not been given an update before now and for any inconvenience it may have caused. Having spoken with our Management about your case we have two potential options for your consideration.

We do not manufacture 3D screens anymore so we are not able to repair your television to its original specifications. As such if we were to look into a repair for you the television would lose its 3D capability, however we would be able to offer you £30.00 of compensation, subject to final authorisation, for the loss of that function.

If this option is not amenable to you then we could look into providing you with either a replacement product, or a financial settlement to the current worth of the unit if there is no stock of appropriate replacements. Both of these would also be subject to final management authorisation and, as I have mentioned, we no longer manufacture 3D screens so any replacement products would be 2D only.

In response to your concerns about the condition of the unit at the point of sale and whether the product was fit for purpose, the designation ‘fit for purpose’ only applies to the point at which the unit is purchased. If a fault develops along the line, and it is the nature of electronic products that faults might randomly occur, the product cannot become ‘unfit for purpose'. If you disagree and wish to pursue this further under consumer law you will need to speak with your retailer as your legal recourse is with them.

Please have a think and let us know which of the available routes you would prefer to go down.

Kind Regards,
Rebecca | Resolutions Agent – Level 1

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk"

I asked if she'd forgotten a zero! It's a shame LG thinks so little of 3D.

Just got another reply from LG.

"Good Afternoon.

I would like to firstly apologise for any delay in getting back to you and for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We are currently experiencing a higher volume of emails than normal and are working diligently to answer each one as soon as possible.

If you would like to proceed with the route of a chargeable repair, as advised below we would be unable to repair the unit to its original specifications and therefore if you would like to proceed with a replacement screen it would be a 2D panel. Due to the loss of the 3D function should you accept, we would offer you £30.00 as a gesture of goodwill compensation, subject to final authorisation. Please note that as the unit is out of warranty this would be a chargeable repair, however we can offer a reduced rate repair of £200.00.

In order for us to look into any potentially models that we could offer you or the depreciated settlement offer, we would require a copy of your proof of purchase to be provided to us.

An acceptable proof of purchase would include the retailers name, VAT number, amount paid for the unit, product information as well as the date of purchase.

Once this has been received we will be able to advise you of any potential models. Please note that when we check for the models they may not be in stock by the time you come to a decision and therefore if this is the case we will also provide you with the settlement amount. As it is subject to stock availability.

Kind regards
Victoria
Level 1 Agent LG Resolutions"

Yesterday there wasn't a £200 charge, but today LG must be feeling extra Christmassy Haha!

My C6 had a replacement non-3D panel fitted last summer. It has worked great since then but has just developed a green stuck pixel. I have a 5-year extended warranty with Currys and they are collecting it next week to repair it. Due to the scarcity of curved OLED panels I doubt they will be able to replace the panel; if this happens does anyone know what their policy is on offering an alternative? Will I be offered a C9 ( that would be fantastic) or will they give me credit for the same amount I paid? (In which case I‘d buy a Panasonic GZ950). If the 3D still worked I’d definitely want to keep it, as it was utterly fantastic, but given how good the new OLEDs are I‘m really hoping they can’t fix it or source a replacement panel.

I suppose I’ll find out within the next couple of weeks, but wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'm not too concerned over the YT logos. I can only see them if I use the burn-in test videos (red screen), during normal viewing they cannot be seen. I too love 3D films and will be at a loss as to buy next as no TV's have 3D functionality any more. This TV has the best 3D ever and like others, think it is mad that I can still buy the latest films on Blu-ray in 3D. Madness.

New firmware appeared on LG UK website:
version 05.30.80, cca 850 MB, only small fixes perhaps

Last edited:
New firmware appeared on LG UK website:
version 05.30.80, cca 850 MB, only small fixes perhaps

My TV just offered this system upgrade.
I've cancelled it for now, since the tv works fine and I don't trust LG since the imperfect blacks incident (which supposedly only affected the B6 series but it surely affected mine and for a long time, I didn't have perfect blacks on my OLED tv, which is utterly ridiculous).

Does anybody have a changelog or first-hand experience about any changes?

Knowing LG, there probably will be no new features - but one can always hope..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom