LG C6 TV Owners and Discussion Thread Part 3

I know a few have reported this odd occupancy before, this is the 4th in two years I’ve seen it, but this time got a photo. Turning off and on fixes it and I’m assuming it’s some sort of handshake issue with sky (as it’s always connected to sky primary). But , it is spectacular and very scary the first time you see it!

Attachments

• AF72D4AF-31A5-4A85-9FF8-5D8C4EE0411C.jpeg
    AF72D4AF-31A5-4A85-9FF8-5D8C4EE0411C.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 107
I had this on my C6 for the first time the other week. I dont have sky, it happened to me on the youtube app. Very scary when you first see it like you say! Touch wood turned my set off and back on and it was fine.

I know a few have reported this odd occupancy before, this is the 4th in two years I’ve seen it, but this time got a photo. Turning off and on fixes it and I’m assuming it’s some sort of handshake issue with sky (as it’s always connected to sky primary). But , it is spectacular and very scary the first time you see it!

Oh my God! Good to know it could happen... thanks for sharing :)

I did factory reset and now can't get Google movies app
Can't find it in store
Please help..

Had this a few times on my C6 i think its related to a HDMI as i was messing with my virgin media boxes HDMI connection when it happend.A reboot fixes it.

Odd, i hope it's just a hand shake issue and not a fault with the TV, if it's still under warranty i'd contact them to be on the safe side.
images.jpg

About 2 weeks ago I did a random clear panel cycle. Later that day I noticed a I had a black cloud, bottom, centre, about the size of a cup face. I did another recycle straight away and that cleared the black cloud.

Noticed today that it is back, doing another cycle just now, should have taken a picture. I noticed it on my xbox when I was in the settings and my games, its like a grey background. Also I can notice it on the tv menu when you have a grey banner at the bottom or bbc iplayer app. Currently it doesn't stick out for normal viewing unless I really focus on the section.

Hope this isn't a terminal problem, love the tv. I was chuffed when I ordered the tv at the start of may 2017 and when it arrived the manufactured date on tv was may 2017:D. I was expecting a tv that had sat in a warehouse for 6 months.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

About 2 weeks ago I did a random clear panel cycle. Later that day I noticed a I had a black cloud, bottom, centre, about the size of a cup face. I did another recycle straight away and that cleared the black cloud.

Noticed today that it is back, doing another cycle just now, should have taken a picture. I noticed it on my xbox when I was in the settings and my games, its like a grey background. Also I can notice it on the tv menu when you have a grey banner at the bottom or bbc iplayer app. Currently it doesn't stick out for normal viewing unless I really focus on the section.

Hope this isn't a terminal problem, love the tv. I was chuffed when I ordered the tv at the start of may 2017 and when it arrived the manufactured date on tv was may 2017:D. I was expecting a tv that had sat in a warehouse for 6 months.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I think I can allay your fears. That is the TV's auto dimming software that detects static elements like logos and dims that portion of the screen. When the logo goes you see a darkish patch where logo was and around it. For a while till TV realises it doesn't need to dim that bit anymore.

Most obvious time is watching cricket with the static score ribbon on bottom. When they show a replay and that ribbon goes it will look like dirty screen effect as the dimming is still there.

This is a protection mechanism.

My tv has just finished its cycle and it has cleared:) Next time i will take a picture, I am sure there will be a next time. Its twice in 2 two weeks:(.

@iwb100 I was on my xbox 1x this morning, then went of for a power nap. Got up and switched on my xbox 1x and the cloud was there. I always exit a game and return to dashboard before switching my xbox of. I only play xbox, watch very little tv, from an app or live tv. I have been able to see the xbox dashboard tabs/boxes, white outline when on a grey screen. I cant think of anything that could cause a dark solid black cloud, bottom centre. I will take a photo next time.

I have recently added my old youview box to hdmi 3, switched tv from ariel to satellite. Freesport hd launched on sat and I wanted youview for recording f1 highlights on c4 hd, since they pulled c4 hd from sat.

Maybe the youview box is doing updates to freeview or apps, is creating the cloud?

Last edited:
Odd, i hope it's just a hand shake issue and not a fault with the TV, if it's still under warranty i'd contact them to be on the safe side.
View attachment 1193610
Yeah still under warranty but others have had it too as I checked first time it happened 6 months in. I think it’s down to when the tv auto powers off but it’s hapoened 4 times in 2 years, every 6 months sounds about right (yes it does seem there is a frequency pattern) as I turn off and on it’s all ok and I’ve had handshake issues with my avr on PS4 , probably the crappy leads I’m using no doubt or something the AVR is doing or not going with sleep auto off.

I think I can allay your fears. That is the TV's auto dimming software that detects static elements like logos and dims that portion of the screen. When the logo goes you see a darkish patch where logo was and around it. For a while till TV realises it doesn't need to dim that bit anymore.

Most obvious time is watching cricket with the static score ribbon on bottom. When they show a replay and that ribbon goes it will look like dirty screen effect as the dimming is still there.

This is a protection mechanism.
Yes I’d deffo agree here, I see it always even the transparent logos in corners, or scores (bbc move the score around eg in studio at half time bottom left, I wasn’t used to seeing the dimming there so I had the same worry) but yeah it goes after a bit.

I thought it was bad to keep running manual comp cycles... is that a myth?

@iwb100 I was on my xbox 1x this morning, then went of for a power nap. Got up and switched on my xbox 1x and the cloud was there. I always exit a game and return to dashboard before switching my xbox of. I only play xbox, watch very little tv, from an app or live tv. I have been able to see the xbox dashboard tabs/boxes, white outline when on a grey screen. I cant think of anything that could cause a dark solid black cloud, bottom centre. I will take a photo next time.

I have recently added my old youview box to hdmi 3, switched tv from ariel to satellite. Freesport hd launched on sat and I wanted youview for recording f1 highlights on c4 hd, since they pulled c4 hd from sat.

Maybe the youview box is doing updates to freeview or apps, is creating the cloud?

Ah - that is simply image retention. It is quite normal. You could turn your OLED brightness down if you are worried. But I wouldn't be. Happens to mine too. And mine is over 2 years old with zero signs of Burn In.

Yeah still under warranty but others have had it too as I checked first time it happened 6 months in. I think it’s down to when the tv auto powers off but it’s hapoened 4 times in 2 years, every 6 months sounds about right (yes it does seem there is a frequency pattern) as I turn off and on it’s all ok and I’ve had handshake issues with my avr on PS4 , probably the crappy leads I’m using no doubt or something the AVR is doing or not going with sleep auto off.
As i was upgrading to 4K i bought cheap (but good looking :cool:) cables off ebay, i assumed i needed new cables because of all the marketing sourrounding "4K 60fps" cables at the time, it turned out that even old cables can do 4K at 60fps :rolleyes::laugh:.
All they gave me was grief, i kept seeing flashing white lines and dots when i was using my PS4, maybe the cheap "4K 60fps" cables were suffering from interference? not enough shielding? who knows.

Try buying some cheap but well made cables (amazon basics are supposed to be up to the job) to see if it helps?

Not my video but here's what the problem i had looked like, if you see this buy new cables:

Last edited:
I love my C6 but what I don’t like is the Freeview Play guide. It’s so laggy especially if you use the up and down arrows to search through the different channels.
Sometimes a it takes a good 20 seconds for the channel to appear, and then often with no sound for what seems another 20 seconds. Is this normal, has anybody found a solution. I’m on the latest firmware.
Many thanks

One of the IPTV apps I was testing let you watch the freesat channels from the TV freesat tuner and changing channels was instant. So it's the software and guide that is making it laggy.

One of the IPTV apps I was testing let you watch the freesat channels from the TV freesat tuner and changing channels was instant. So it's the software and guide that is making it laggy.
Anything good on Freesat?
My TV had a very small delay, maybe a second or so. It's on the latest firmware.

What are the chances of the 2016 models getting the apple TV+ app or upcoming disney+ apps? anyone heard anything, I guess the chances are slim?

Apple TV+ has already launched, so if it was going to happen you'd have thought the app would be on the LG app store (maybe it is?) We don't have a release date for Disney+ in the UK yet, so maybe that will come further down the line. To be honest, I'm not hopeful and I think it'll be a case or playing it from or through another device

Not even being released for 7 series either so won’t be for 6

The Apple TV 4K box plays nicely with the C6 with decent HDMI cables and is also delivering Netflix with 4k and Atmos. I don’t plan on swapping the TV as I like the 3D so I’m reckoning on external boxes to deliver these kinds of services.

is the Apple TV + app on webos at all?
I guess if it's on the latest models already it wont be coming to the older ones, I will wait and see what disney+ launches on, maybe get a 4k fire TV stick as I think the apple app is coming too that, not sure about disney yet

is the Apple TV + app on webos at all?
I guess if it's on the latest models already it wont be coming to the older ones, I will wait and see what disney+ launches on, maybe get a 4k fire TV stick as I think the apple app is coming too that, not sure about disney yet
The Apple TV app is available now on the Firestick. It works well enough, but seems to suffer from some picture noise that is not present on an Apple box. I’ve no idea what the cause is, but that’s my experience. Not a clue about Disney yet.

Well my c6 has bitten the dust,turned the screen on and just had this

Currys have taken it away for repair but very much doubt that they will source a 3d panel. Be close to a miracle if they did

20191103_193624.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom