LG C6 TV Owner Settings and Other Technical Aspects Thread

Why don't netflix have 3D movies as well? Never seen this in Norway. I am sure they would totally ruin the quality just like they do with most of the Dolby vision but it would still be a nice touch!
They used to carry 3D here in the US and it was good quality. They now discontinued that.

Anyone else notice how green the grayscale is out of the box? I did some measurements this evening and ended up reducing the low green offset to -20. I would've liked to tweak the red and blue low as well, but they needed to be raised, and it turns out doing that also raises the minimum black level (so blacks glow). Still, just cutting the green seems to be a noticeable improvement.
Are you cutting green in the 2 point of 20 point?

Exactly. Each panel is different. Hence the need for calibrators and equipment.

For example, Roku2 made some adjustments to blue values under his hdr settings I think, but set, I believe I'm getting the same end result without those adjustments. Shoot3r is adjusting green. ...and if anything, I think my panel needs to reduce red slightly, as on certain screens (usually bright white or near black), I occasionally get a slight red/pink tint, but because it's barely noticeable, I leave colour settings alone.

Personally I feel like I'm more likely to throw the picture off than improve it.
I have blue back to default 0, by the way :)

I have blue back to default 0, by the way :)
Is that just on sdr or on hdr content that you've put it back to zero?

From the photos, it seemed to make a huge improvement at least on hdr content?

Is that just on sdr or on hdr content that you've put it back to zero?

From the photos, it seemed to make a huge improvement at least on hdr content?
It was only on HDR, and only for Suicide Squad. However, upon watching other HDR titles, the blue changes backfired and they ruined those other movies, so not worth to fix one movie and ruin 5 other movies in the process. I will just label Suicide Squad as "crap UHD" and move on.

Haha. Fair enough. Just odd that those adjustments seemed to bring your picture in line with what I was already seeing.

But yeah, not worth changing things for one movie.

Haha. Fair enough. Just odd that those adjustments seemed to bring your picture in line with what I was already seeing.

But yeah, not worth changing things for one movie.
I learned that it is best not to mess with HDR other than basic tweaks to oled light and contrast.
By the way, look forward to Scott reporting back his impression of Dr Strange 3D. I got a textmessage from him which expressed a lot of excitement about how this 3D title looks on Oled, to say the least :)

Exactly. Each panel is different. Hence the need for calibrators and equipment.

For example, Roku2 made some adjustments to blue values under his hdr settings I think, but set, I believe I'm getting the same end result without those adjustments. Shoot3r is adjusting green. ...and if anything, I think my panel needs to reduce red slightly, as on certain screens (usually bright white or near black), I occasionally get a slight red/pink tint, but because it's barely noticeable, I leave colour settings alone.

Personally I feel like I'm more likely to throw the picture off than improve it.

I would normally agree about not tweaking without a meter, but if you have a known reference, like a laptop screen that is calibrated or a cell phone (some are fairly accurate), you can compare a grayscale ramp on there to the TV.

I have an i1d3 meter, but it's not profiled for OLED. Even so, it seems that it's close enough. I can compare what I see with my eyes to what the meter says, and I think it's in the ballpark.

Are you cutting green in the 2 point of 20 point?

No, I just used the 2-pt low to cut green. I don't have the patience to run through a 20-pt cal, and don't think all the extra time spent would be worth the minimal improvement. It's a little annoying the the red and blue low affect black level, so I can't touch those, but I don't think they're that far off, anyway.

Here's a before and after:
2_zpsurpkokpb.jpg

graph2_zpsaweferzj.jpg

I would normally agree about not tweaking without a meter, but if you have a known reference, like a laptop screen that is calibrated or a cell phone (some are fairly accurate), you can compare a grayscale ramp on there to the TV.

I have an i1d3 meter, but it's not profiled for OLED. Even so, it seems that it's close enough. I can compare what I see with my eyes to what the meter says, and I think it's in the ballpark.

No, I just used the 2-pt low to cut green. I don't have the patience to run through a 20-pt cal, and don't think all the extra time spent would be worth the minimal improvement. It's a little annoying the the red and blue low affect black level, so I can't touch those, but I don't think they're that far off, anyway.

Here's a before and after:
2_zpsurpkokpb.jpg

graph2_zpsaweferzj.jpg
So you only lowered green Low but not green High?

@shoot3r I find mine is a little overblown in green and could do with reducing, I ve been watching a show on sky arts called landscape artist and as the title suggests is all about landscape painting so there's an abundance of green,did you just pull down low a couple of clicks.

So you only lowered green Low but not green High?

@shoot3r I find mine is a little overblown in green and could do with reducing, I ve been watching a show on sky arts called landscape artist and as the title suggests is all about landscape painting so there's an abundance of green,did you just pull down low a couple of clicks.

Here's where I am now:

Contrast 85
Brightness 51
OLED light 30
Gamma BT.1886 (with +5 luminance at 5%, +4 at 4%, etc)

Low
R 0
G -20
B 0

High
R 1
G -5
B -8

If you don't have a meter, I wouldn't mess with red or blue, but you could always just try reducing green (mainly the low end). If you have some sort of grayscale ramp pattern, adjust the green on ISF dark, and leave ISF bright alone (or vice versa) and switch back and forth to see the difference the tweaks make.

The other thing I read is that warm 1 actually has less of a green push, but supposedly it's too blue. I may try that just for kicks.

Think I might try those you've got cheers. What are the low and high.

Think I might try those you've got cheers. What are the low and high.
Low are the top settings in post above, high are bottom. You might just try lowering green low by 15-20 and leave everything else alone, and see how that looks. I found a post on here from last year where some guy set his to -18 or so, and said it looked much better.

Here's where I am now:

Contrast 85
Brightness 51
OLED light 30
Gamma BT.1886 (with +5 luminance at 5%, +4 at 4%, etc)

Low
R 0
G -20
B 0

High
R 1
G -5
B -8

If you don't have a meter, I wouldn't mess with red or blue, but you could always just try reducing green (mainly the low end). If you have some sort of grayscale ramp pattern, adjust the green on ISF dark, and leave ISF bright alone (or vice versa) and switch back and forth to see the difference the tweaks make.

The other thing I read is that warm 1 actually has less of a green push, but supposedly it's too blue. I may try that just for kicks.
Warm 1 is plain ugly[emoji16]

Warm 1 is plain ugly[emoji16]

That's kind of what I suspected, but some people suggested it. I'll take a look later, but will probably just stick with warm 2 since it looks good to me.

That's kind of what I suspected, but some people suggested it. I'll take a look later, but will probably just stick with warm 2 since it looks good to me.
Warm 2,low brightness (50), low (ish) contrast (76) and no special effects or other colour adjustments for me (except the +5,+4,+3 etc for bt1886).

Gives me a really nice natural looking picture that's really clear, just enough vibrance without seeming either fake or dull. Been using this setup for over a month now without making changes. Everything looks great. I'm sure I'm done changing things now. .....enter Roku2 with new revelations...it's due anytime now ;)

Warm 2,low brightness (50), low (ish) contrast (76) and no special effects or other colour adjustments for me (except the +5,+4,+3 etc for bt1886).

Gives me a really nice natural looking picture that's really clear, just enough vibrance without seeming either fake or dull. Been using this setup for over a month now without making changes. Everything looks great. I'm sure I'm done changing things now. .....enter Roku2 with new revelations...it's due anytime now ;)
I wouldn't change a thing. Once you mess with RGB without tools you are just like a blind man shooting in the dark.
I rather spend that free time actually watching my TV[emoji16]

Low are the top settings in post above, high are bottom. You might just try lowering green low by 15-20 and leave everything else alone, and see how that looks. I found a post on here from last year where some guy set his to -18 or so, and said it looked much better.
Sorry,i didn't word it properly. What I meant is, what is the difference between high and low points and what does adjusting the high colour do and low colour do.

Still don't know if I'm explaining it properly [emoji13]

Sorry,i didn't word it properly. What I meant is, what is the difference between high and low points and what does adjusting the high colour do and low colour do.

Still don't know if I'm explaining it properly [emoji13]
Ah, I got ya now. The 2-pt high controls are used to adjust the brighter end of the grayscale. Typically you put up a 80% window and adjust the RGB high until you get a good mix. The low controls adjust the low-end of the scale, and I usually do that using a 20% or 30% gray window.

Different manufacturers call them different things. I'm used to Samsung calling them gains (for the high) and offsets (for the low), but it's the same idea. Anyway, if I lower green on 2-pt low, it should take away green from the dimmer parts of the grayscale, which were way too green on my panel.

Ah, I got ya now. The 2-pt high controls are used to adjust the brighter end of the grayscale. Typically you put up a 80% window and adjust the RGB high until you get a good mix. The low controls adjust the low-end of the scale, and I usually do that using a 20% or 30% gray window.

Different manufacturers call them different things. I'm used to Samsung calling them gains (for the high) and offsets (for the low), but it's the same idea. Anyway, if I lower green on 2-pt low, it should take away green from the dimmer parts of the grayscale, which were way too green on my panel.
Thanks for that, just seem totally random when you see one adjusted to like minus 18 and the other minus 4 or something.
Think I'll try exactly yours and if no good for my set then reset it, don't think I'll bother tinkering with the value myself

I was watching teh newly released Dr Strange last night, but just on digital media 1080p. i can only imagine what this would look on 3D bluray as it is visually stunning even in 1080!
Only one thing that took me off guard: Benedict Cumberbatch speaking American English???

Thanks for that, just seem totally random when you see one adjusted to like minus 18 and the other minus 4 or something.
Think I'll try exactly yours and if no good for my set then reset it, don't think I'll bother tinkering with the value myself

I decided to stay with -25 for the green 2-pt low. Even then, there is still a little too much green according to the meter, but it's much better. I watched Sully last night, and things looked very good. I set up my ISF dark setting this way, and left ISF bright with green at 0. When I switched between the two modes, it was easy to see the difference. Skin tones looked much better with the green reduction. Anyway, can't hurt anything to try.

Also, I tried warm 1, but it was much too blue.

My isf bright and dark aren't the same, set up exactly and there's a noticeable difference with skin tones being a bit to on the red side so I can't even get a good comparison.just switching between the 2

My isf bright and dark aren't the same, set up exactly and there's a noticeable difference with skin tones being a bit to on the red side so I can't even get a good comparison.just switching between the 2

Did you change the color gamut to 'normal' in ISF bright? I think it's set to wide as default. Also, ISF bright gamma defaults to 2.2. If I set the same oled light, color gamut and gamma in both ISF dark and light, they are the same on my TV. Could be some panel variation, though. I love tweaking things in one mode and then switching to the other mode without tweaks because it's very easy to see what's changing (for better or worse).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom