LG C2 (OLED65C2) OLED Evo TV Review & Comments

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
I feel like we're in a bit of a mid point with OLED, where brighter displays with more colour volume (QDOLED) are coming and so will make WOLED a little redundant, but with the huge caveat that Samsung still pig headedly refuse to support Dolby Vision, and them being caught cheating by Vincent recently doesn't inspire confidence.

Perhaps Sony will come to the rescue, but their recent disasters with Dolby Vision VRR and of course their ever more ridiculous stand designs (and high pricing) rather rule them out too.

The wait goes on.

MEGATAMA

Nice review and seem that C2 will repeat C1 success from last year.

gaz847

Great review!

I have had my 65" C2 for a couple of weeks, coming from a C9 I initially was a little disappointed in the lack of improvement in PQ, but now feel as the panel gets a few more hours on it the PQ is improving.

Looking forward to the picture settings video. If you are able, would you be able to cover your suggested settings for console gaming?

Pavement

Right now looking at the 55” and 65 ” models you can get the C1 for around 40-45% cheaper I can imagine for a lot of people that price premium for the latest generation is going to be a bit much. It will be interesting to see how these are priced as we go into Black Friday/Christmas.

Last edited:

gimpli

I’ve had this tv for a couple weeks now, upgraded from a 55 C1 to this, it’s move improved on the C1 and I barely had to do anything to picture settings on Filmmaker or Dolby Vision, just turn off all the unnecessary settings, you know what they are 😂

UMAR 3:16

Thanks for the review Phil. It’s that key question, get the C1 now with massive discounts or the C2?! Is the C2 worth the upgrade from a C1 or CX.

crackazz99

Thanks for the review Phil. It’s that key question, get the C1 now with massive discounts or the C2?! Is the C2 worth the upgrade from a C1 or CX.
I went the C1 one route .. scored for £1349 + £100 evoucher and free shipping. Sold my b6 and with 5% discounts through buying with vouchers .. all in less than £800 for a 65” c1. Could t justify the extra for a c2 and know just going from 55 to 65 will be more than enough of a jump. Just the wait till next week now for delivery :D (and crossing fingers for a evo panel in the panel lottery :D )

Fake Shempz

The 55" version is on my shopping list - unfortunately the layout of my living room means that's as large as I can go - hopefully when I'm ready to replace my Panasonic 50EX750 towards the end of this year, the price will have come down (to be honest though, with the prices of the C1 right now, I'm almost tempted to bite the bullet and get one of them even!)

Last edited:

davejones2

So 911 nits vs 743 nits on 10% window for G2 Vs C2.

Probably worth stretching to the G2 when it comes down in price later on the year if waiting & financially possible I reckon, that's quite a significant difference imo.

Fasen

Great review Phil, really looking forward to how the C2 stacks up against the Sony A80K. Good you have it long term for comparisons :thumbsup:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the video, this television looks good.... a shame that the remote control looks so awful in my opinion. I've never seen one in real life but it looks worse than any remote that I've had going back 10 years or more.

gimpli

Thanks for the video, this television looks good.... a shame that the remote control looks so awful in my opinion. I've never seen one in real life but it looks worse than any remote that I've had going back 10 years or more.
It’s trash, but it’s not a big deal

MahaRaja

C1’s poor out of black wasn’t mentioned on the reviews by AV Forums, it was only mentioned by Vincent when he reviewed the C1. Now C2 has better near black performance than C1.

d10brp

Great review!

I have had my 65" C2 for a couple of weeks, coming from a C9 I initially was a little disappointed in the lack of improvement in PQ, but now feel as the panel gets a few more hours on it the PQ is improving.

Looking forward to the picture settings video. If you are able, would you be able to cover your suggested settings for console gaming?
I honestly think most people would be hard pushed to see major differences for SDR and most HDR viewing all the way up from the 6 range* to the current 2 range.

Certainly there are features which a lot of people will take advantage of (gaming, eARC, BFI) and I do think there have been improvements in how poorer quality feeds are handled, but most of what I watch is pretty decent quality and I rarely game so I’d likely see little change from my E7 imo.

*assuming both calibrated, particularly the earlier models which were not at good out of the box

oscarmadfish

Distinguished Member
I honestly think most people would be hard pushed to see major differences for SDR and most HDR viewing all the way up from the 6 range* to the current 2 range.

Certainly there are features which a lot of people will take advantage of (gaming, eARC, BFI) and I do think there have been improvements in how poorer quality feeds are handled, but most of what I watch is pretty decent quality and I rarely game so I’d likely see little change from my E7 imo.

*assuming both calibrated, particularly the earlier models which were not at good out of the box
i came from a calibrated C7 and i see a big jump in quality tbh

sr20

So 911 nits vs 743 nits on 10% window for G2 Vs C2.

Probably worth stretching to the G2 when it comes down in price later on the year if waiting & financially possible I reckon, that's quite a significant difference imo.
Most reviews I've seen have the C2 comfortably over 800 nits on a 10% window so I suspect Phil was not a winner in the panel lottery.

I was put off higher brightness in LG OLED's due to the colours potentially washing out at higher brightness due to the white subpixel dominating, so for me the C2 was the sweet spot. Not a problem with QD OLED though so will be interesting to see what LG do next year to boost the brightness while maintaining colour.

gechu

Novice Member

I'm getting the c1 or g1 and plan to use a nvidia shield. Will the image scaling be performed in the shield or the TV?

Chief NL

Honestly, because I got a Sony HT-A9 this year I had decided that it needed a Sony TV to go with it. But the more I see of LG TV's, the more I'm leaning towards staying with LG.

QD-OLED isn't the massive world changing event that the hype made it out to be, with Samsung cheating at first, still not supporting DV and (personal opinion) I find the menu's and Tizen OS to look like it was made for 6 year olds to use.
Sony A95K will look stunning I am sure but as long as they run on the current Mediatec chipset with only 2x HDMI 2.1 and no VRR and DV available at the same time on a HDMI port, it's simply not an option. Considering how long these things take Sony to fix, it'll be 2024 before QD-OLED is an option unless LG start producing them in 2023.

The only thing I want to know from LG is if the audio passthrough now works properly? I don't know if @Phil Hinton has any experience with this yet? With my C1 I ended up connecting my XSX to my soundbar to get Atmos because passthrough produced horribly lagging audio. This needs to be fixed before I'll buy an LG OLED again.

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
Honestly, because I got a Sony HT-A9 this year I had decided that it needed a Sony TV to go with it. But the more I see of LG TV's, the more I'm leaning towards staying with LG.

QD-OLED isn't the massive world changing event that the hype made it out to be, with Samsung cheating at first, still not supporting DV and (personal opinion) I find the menu's and Tizen OS to look like it was made for 6 year olds to use.
Sony A95K will look stunning I am sure but as long as they run on the current Mediatec chipset with only 2x HDMI 2.1 and no VRR and DV available at the same time on a HDMI port, it's simply not an option. Considering how long these things take Sony to fix, it'll be 2024 before QD-OLED is an option unless LG start producing them in 2023.

The only thing I want to know from LG is if the audio passthrough now works properly? I don't know if @Phil Hinton has any experience with this yet? With my C1 I ended up connecting my XSX to my soundbar to get Atmos because passthrough produced horribly lagging audio. This needs to be fixed before I'll buy an LG OLED again.
I believe the Atmos lag on the Series X is Microsoft's problem, not LG. It lags in Dolby Digital too. The only format I've found which is lag free on the XSX is DTS, which bizarrely LG refuse to support now.

As for QD-OLED I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. The reviews have been gushing, but as you say the lack of Dolby Vision is a deal breaker from Samsung.

d10brp

i came from a calibrated C7 and i see a big jump in quality tbh
To be fair, it would be hard not to be blown away from the jump to 83 inches, enjoy.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand