LG C2 48 or 55 decision

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm still using my 42" plasma and for the last couple of years have been considering changing to an OLED.

I sit 8 feet away from the screen the room is South facing with a large-ish window, the television is on the East wall and gets sun on it from about 1pm. I currently close the vertical blinds with my plasma when necessary.

I mostly watch content via my Virgin V6 box so some in decent HD, some of the so-called HD looks poor these days, particularly quite a few Sky Sports football matches. I also watch a fair amount that is in SD such as old comedies etc. I do have Amazon Prime but there is not a lot on there that I would watch in 4k - I won't watch something just because it has a good picture quality, I have to be interested in the content too.

So I'm currently looking at the LG C2 48" and the 55", both of which should fit OK on my telly stand. I can see benefits and down sides to both sets - the 48" would probably give a better rendition of the poorer quality programs and the 55" is probably the better screen technology?

Any thoughts and comments would be gratefully accepted :)

If you want to hide poor quality footage like SD, then the answer is to use a smaller sized TV which will then let your eyes do the rest. With this in mind and you saying you watch old comedies, I feel the 48" might just be ideal although depending upon how large the surround is on your 42" plasma, you might find that the overall TV size is smaller. I know when I moved from a 40" to 50", the TV was about 8cm wider 3cm taller which fit perfectly

So, before you make the choice, do a quick measurement of the surround to as it will look odd for a bit if its new TV overall size is smaller

Made the switch from a 32" to a 55" last year and I feel that's the right size for small- to medium-sized living rooms and 4K/SD/HD viewing. Anything bigger I feel is overkill, or your living room is a funny shape / absolutely massive.

Use a viewing distance calculator if you're not sure, TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science or Viewing Distance Calculator will help.

55 would be an absolute maximum for me :)

I replaced a pan 37 inch plasma with an 48 inch LG oled c2 and it thrashes the plasma in every way. Don't worry about sd content it looks fine even on channels like blaze ( I like trash tv ). I was worried the step up from 37 to 48 would be too much but it wasn't as the new tv is just a screen with very little boarders unlike the old plasma. As you are already on a 42 the 55 should be fine.

I haven't tried to watch a dvd yet so can't say how they look.

I bought a 49" about 3 years ago and always wished I had bought the 55". Just upgraded to a 55" C2 and for me it's the perfect size.

I got the 48" yesterday and that is the perfect size for this room and for me :)

I might change my mind 5 years down the line but for the forseeable future I'm happy.

I heard Hughes is selling the 55" CS for £799, which is only £100 more than the best deal on 48" C2 during Black Friday. If you can afford, I think the extra estate (and potentially higher peak brightness) is worth the extra £100.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom