LG C2 42" - Problems with Xbox

swordfish100

Hi There,

So I've had my LG C2 42" Setup for a month or so in my office, with a PS5 & Switch. A few days ago, I moved the Xbox from the living room on to the C2, which is where the problems began...

So the Xbox will work for a period of time with all the video settings maxed out 4K / 120hz etc etc. Then at some point in a transition between home and game, or going into settings (basically at any point where the screen going black to switch on/of HDR) the screen will switch to the 'no signal' screen in the attached pic and I'll have to switch the xbox off by the console button.

When I turn it back on, it starts up in 480p (see second image). When I go to settings, switch 'Display override' to HDMI and try to set to 4k, it gives me the following 'your tv can't do 4k' nonsense.

This then takes lots of hard resetting and fiddling to get back to my full 4k / 120 / HDR / dolby etc settings.

Any ideas?

LG said they haven't got a clue and can send someone to repair it. But I feel that because its intermittent and works for a period of time, it is some sort of settings issue.

The cables are HDMI 2.1 and the xbox has been on our downstairs tv for over a year with no problems at all. The PS5 and Switch (and soundbar) work with no problem at all.

The only think I can think of, I bought a new third party power cable for the xbox, but surely it couldn't be a power issue?

Another thing - I've yet to have it have this issue when set to 60hz, though it could be a coincidence. Though I didn't buy a 42 inch tv for 1400 quid to not use 120hz :D

Thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG_1314 copy.jpg
    IMG_1314 copy.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1315 copy.jpg
    IMG_1315 copy.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1317 copy.jpg
    IMG_1317 copy.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 65

swordfish100

I’ve not actually, though the other 3 ports are occupied by devices that are all working fine. I’ll give it a go

Doctor Hades

You mentioned your cable is HDMI 2.1 but are you using the one that came with the console or a longer third-party one (since your TV is wall-mounted)?. It is possible that the cable might have been damaged when you moved the console to use with the C2 or it may have already been defective and using it with the C2 has highlighted this.

I have also read that you should not go above a certain length for standard HDMI 2.1 cables, I believe it is 2m (or it might be 3m), otherwise the signal can degrade and cause handshaking issues and black screens etc. If you need a longer HDMI 2.1 cable then you can get fibre-optic ones, though these are more expensive.

I would suggest trying another certified 4K 120 Hz HDMI cable. If you don't have one then these can be picked up pretty cheaply from Amazon.

swordfish100

Thanks so much.

It is indeed a high quality (certified and cost £50 each) 3m hdmi. The same as on the switch and ps5, which both work perfectly.

The problem is, it’s in a bespoke media wall that the hdmi cables were placed before it was built a few weeks back. Swapping cables is near enough impossible. Though all devices and cables work in other configurations. The tv / Xbox are the common denominators

swordfish100

Okay, so I’ve moved the Xbox on the the other three hdmi connections- these all work perfectly on the other consoles.

Same issue. Would this suggest it’s the Xbox? It was working fine on our living room tv for years

swordfish100

So I ended up exchanging the tv for a new one, and the HDMI cable….same problem persists 😂

So I guess it’s either the Xbox, or an incompatibility thing. Weird, as the Xbox worked perfectly for a year and a half on our other tv 😬

d0x360

Novice Member
So I ended up exchanging the tv for a new one, and the HDMI cable….same problem persists 😂

So I guess it’s either the Xbox, or an incompatibility thing. Weird, as the Xbox worked perfectly for a year and a half on our other tv 😬

It's not incompatible, that's for sure. Also the PS5 and switch use less HDMI bandwidth than the Xbox series s/x. The Xbox uses 40Gbps and ps5 is something like 28 or 30 and the switch is 18 so maybe you should give a different brand cable a shot or switch that power cable... While it might be a "universal" style cable it's always possible there's something wrong with it.

What does the menu in the Xbox say the tv is compatible with? Anything missing that shouldn't be? Have you factory reset the Xbox? How about the the tv? If not then start with the Xbox and if that doesn't help then first unplug both devices from power for a couple min, power the tv up and then the Xbox and if it still happens I'd bite the bullet and factory reset the TV too.

You would be surprised how many issues this can fix for seemingly no reason.

Oh.. there aren't any ai or power saving settings enabled are there? There shouldn't be for either console or PC. It can mess with some of their features.

fluxedman

Think someone or yourself posted something similar a while back, sounds a right headache.

Sadly not all certified hdmi cables work even, its so much trial and error and you might even have to go through 20 to find one that works in todays tech world. I believe vincent hdmi prefers zeskit and truehq cable brands. I like Ibrah brand myself. I still find the shorter and thicker cables tend to work better or hit their "Spec" for some reason. Fiber cables are fine but also have similar issues and not as durable and more problematic with failures.

When you get these kind of issues you do have to go back to raw basics, no switches, soundbars or AV equipment etc just hdmi cable straight from x-box to C2 directly, test each hdmi port also. Its a trial and error diagnostic you need to go through to find what's causing it...... in other words a needle in a haystack.

Make sure you have set up each hdmi port correctly so ie hdmi 1 is set to games console and hdmi 2 sat etc, this is done in the home dashboard settings top right corner.

The only other thing I can think of is its software glitch, maybe the xbox needs the latest firmware and even LG engineers need to update the C2 firmware, this C2 is so new so its going to be buggy at first.

Might be worth googling and asking on MS xbox support forums and even reddit xbox forums if they have seen similar issues also since its a very specific issue.

swordfish100

It’s honestly just a mystery. I’m on my third C2, have tried about 15 different cables :/

The common denominator is the Xbox itself, but it works perfectly on any other tv

sr20

Honestly I think this is just a firmware issue for the C2 itself. I have a similar problem with my 65 C2 where my SKY Q box is stuck at 1080i and when I select 2160p the SKY box claims the HDMI on the tv isn't capable. This box worked flawlessly on my Pana OLED for 4 years. Just had the latest V3 box delivered this afternoon and same problem.

There was a similar bug that was well publicised for the C1 last year and it looks like they've made the same mistake again.

spikecast

Not that it helps but I've just got a G2 and I haven't had this issue, I'll certainly report back if so as I would suspect the C2/G2 will be using similar hardware. Can you post a pic of your Xbox settings? Are you using dolby vision gaming? I prefer that off as HDR looks better to me in 99% of games I've compared, I found DV to be dimmer.

Also have you got Earc enabled? I'm using a Sonos ARC (looks like you have the beam) and I'm also using dolby atmos on the Xbox.

HAM5ter84

Not got the TV or soundbar. But one reviewer I was reading from my Google feeds. Had a similar lg issue with his Xbox series X. Turned out the soundbar company had skimped on the bandwith and only pushed the 20 to 30gb of hdmi 2.1. Was hidden away in a download spec somewhere. But, directly connecting worked between Xbox and LG OLED. Now this was the same 120 Hz issue. With in his case the handshake issue, so sounds the same problem here. Id check and ask the sound bar manufacturing the hdmi 2.1 specs of the port and what the GB speed of the port if it's full 48gb or 40 or what exactly. Hope this helps.

Here is the link to the article : HDMI Used To Simplify Our Home Theaters, Now It's Adding Confusion - GameSpot

In his case was a LG C1, but I'd be same issue seen here with the C2

fluxedman

Exactly one of the reasons why I suggested trying it directly from xbox to TV, routing hdmi cables through switches, adaptors, soundbars, AV amps etc can sometimes be the issue, issues like this its a needle in 20 haystacks sadly, you have to fault test from going back to basics.

Swapping TVs, Xboxes, Soundbars, hdmi cables etc can cut much of that time off but usually much harder and expensive to do.

swordfish100

Sorry for the tardy reply, I’m away on holiday. Yeah I’ve always connected directly from the tv to the Xbox - the soundbar occupies hdmi 2 (eArc).

Have there been any updates in the last couple weeks? As I say, I’m away so can’t check. Hoping to return to it being magically fixed 😂

kheldan

Just got a 65 inch C2 and connected the xbox series X and same issue. Works fine in 60hz but when switching to 120 it works, can launch a game its 120 but switching back out of game loses signal… primo new HDMI cables… so to me it looks like a bug in the C2 at this time With 120hz even though the xbox says all is A1.

kheldan

Hooray! New update to TV installed yesterday and so far so good 120hz refresh working with everything turned on on Xbox Series X

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I occasionally get the issue with the Xbox booting up in a low res too on my G1. For those of you having this issue, are you in the Xbox Preview Beta? I am, and I have also seen the issue mentioned in the notes on the Xbox Insider Hub app specifically referencing the console booting in a low resolution.

swordfish100

Hooray! New update to TV installed yesterday and so far so good 120hz refresh working with everything turned on on Xbox Series X
Yeah same for me so far!

Honestly this is so great to see. I’ve been a Samsung owner for all my previous tvs, including the three other tvs in our house. I’m forever waiting on bugs to be fixed, and they just never are!

This is my first LG and it’s great to see that fixed so quickly!

fluxedman

…aaaaaand it’s happening again 🤬

others seem to be having similar issues with xbox and losing signal mentioned on the AVS sister site here:

You may need to check dwaleke and LiLasn post and replies for that page and the next few pages though.

Also keepitclassy and Ninjician made a youtube video here:

Discussing of the broken HGIG and dolby gaming on the C2

Does look like LG needs to do a lot of firmware updates to get the C2 up and running properly(gaming stuff)

work around possibly? You might be doing it already not a gamer

fluxedman

If you read further post on that AVS site, apparently LG G2 series is less buggy and less handshake or hdmi signal loss issues with games consoles like xbox. But its hit and miss for some C2 owners some no issue or some more issue.

Its possible LG are tweaking the firmware for C2 series and not fully fixed it, its important the more people that email LG technical support team the more they get on the case of fixing it. Its a bit like reporting a street light not working, 1 person calls and nothing. 3 people call and complain, next day some guy is climbing the lamp post with bare hands to fix it :D

spikecast

If you read further post on that AVS site, apparently LG G2 series is less buggy and less handshake or hdmi signal loss issues with games consoles like xbox. But its hit and miss for some C2 owners some no issue or some more issue.

Its possible LG are tweaking the firmware for C2 series and not fully fixed it, its important the more people that email LG technical support team the more they get on the case of fixing it. Its a bit like reporting a street light not working, 1 person calls and nothing. 3 people call and complain, next day some guy is climbing the lamp post with bare hands to fix it :D

Must admit I've had zero handshake issues on the G2 with series x, PS5 or switch. Been flawless actually!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand