LG C1 vs Sony A80J, which to buy?

waynehu

Novice Member
Hello all, I'm planning to upgrade my 65'' Sony X900F to an OLED TV. My target is between 77'' LG C1 and Sony A80J. With the latest price drop for A80J, there's basically no price gap in between around $3200. I'm a Gamer, playing PS5 / Switch games, and I also watch some live sports, Netflix, Youtube as well.
Before the $1000 price drop on A80J, I didn't considering Sony OLED at all, and I was going to get the LG C1. However now I'm leaning towards A80J after saw some reviews and side by side comparison on Youtube.

The pro and cons for both TV is obvious as well from the reviews online.

LG C1
Pros:
  • All advanced game features: G-Sync(it should be fine for a non-PC gamer like me), VRR, FreeSync, ALLM, standalone game optimizer mode
  • Four HDMI 2.1 port
  • Amazing input lags
Cons:
  • Darker brightness for SDR content
  • Average upscaling capabilities for 720P, 1080P content(I assume live sports and switch games will be effect)
  • Poor calibration out of box(saw several reviewers on Youtube had this issue)
Sony A80J
Pros:
  • XR chip: Image quality, Motion smoothness
  • Sound quality
  • Brightness for both HDR and SDR content
  • Great upscale capabilities
Cons:
  • Lack of VRR and ALLM support until Sony unlock these features
  • Two HDMI 2.1 port
I'm wondering will the brightness be an issue if I use the OLED TV during the daytime?
What's your guys opinions on these 2 TVs? If you own any of them, can you share some experience so far? Thanks you all in advance.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

These TVs have only just been released, and will carry a premium as a result of that. If you want a 2021 model it would be foolish to buy now, unless you're happy to have the TV now, and don't mind it dropping in price (especially come around Black Friday).

In terms of bang for buck you will probably be better off looking at last years LG CX and save the $400 compared to the C1.

If you care about sound quality built in, the Sony A9G. The A80J doesn't sound as good as the older A8H, and that TV was already a downgrade in sound compared to the A9G.

You mention you're a gamer, so really LG should be top on your list. They are just better gaming TVs for numerous reasons. Better range of VRR formats, lower input lag, but the most important thing that's overlooked; Dynamic Tone Mapping and HGIG.

The major area LG fall short compared to Sony is with motion during video content. They aren't as smooth. With gaming and VRR though Sony are not any better than LG, in fact possibly worse since you're forced to use vanilla VRR without Freesync/Gsync. Brightness is of course another thing, so if you care mostly how HDR is showcased when you use it, the Sony will win.

During the day you may need to control light on either TV if you're using HDR, for SDR its never going to be an issue, and most people find even during the day with an OLED HDR is fine. - Again this is something where the LG can actually cope a bit better due to its tone mapping setting, together with Dolby Vision IQ.

Upscaling there's not a huge difference now between Sony and LG. Broadcast TV ain't going to pretty on any 4k TV, especially a larger one. Its a bit like polishing a turd. The switch will be on the blurry side on both, maybe Sony have a slight edge here.

waynehu

Novice Member
These TVs have only just been released, and will carry a premium as a result of that. If you want a 2021 model it would be foolish to buy now, unless you're happy to have the TV now, and don't mind it dropping in price (especially come around Black Friday).

In terms of bang for buck you will probably be better off looking at last years LG CX and save the $400 compared to the C1.

If you care about sound quality built in, the Sony A9G. The A80J doesn't sound as good as the older A8H, and that TV was already a downgrade in sound compared to the A9G.

You mention you're a gamer, so really LG should be top on your list. They are just better gaming TVs for numerous reasons. Better range of VRR formats, lower input lag, but the most important thing that's overlooked; Dynamic Tone Mapping and HGIG.

The major area LG fall short compared to Sony is with motion during video content. They aren't as smooth. With gaming and VRR though Sony are not any better than LG, in fact possibly worse since you're forced to use vanilla VRR without Freesync/Gsync. Brightness is of course another thing, so if you care mostly how HDR is showcased when you use it, the Sony will win.

During the day you may need to control light on either TV if you're using HDR, for SDR its never going to be an issue, and most people find even during the day with an OLED HDR is fine. - Again this is something where the LG can actually cope a bit better due to its tone mapping setting, together with Dolby Vision IQ.

Upscaling there's not a huge difference now between Sony and LG. Broadcast TV ain't going to pretty on any 4k TV, especially a larger one. Its a bit like polishing a turd. The switch will be on the blurry side on both, maybe Sony have a slight edge here.
Thanks for your detailed explanation, really appreciated!

Southsider21

Novice Member

Dodge you need get out more often and get some fresh air , geez Dodge.

mikeysthoughts

Be aware of the eARC and DTS issues on the LG which may influence your decision. The comments in the recent C1 review explain more and are the reason I won't pick one up.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom