LG C1 (OLED65C1) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Thanks Phil. Excellent review! That 83inch is starting to call my name…..🤣

Great review, and my interpretation of LG's response (which some commentators might describe as 'mealy-mouthed') appears to confirm the rumours are true; the software is what will make the difference between the G1 and C1.

Phil, since LG are advertising gaming features heavily this year with game optimizer mode, then I think as part of your reviews you should at least test the tv out with one of the latest generation gaming console such as the PS5, and put the question to LG why the eArc functionality doesnt work properly on their TV's?

Why cant we get LPCM sound out via the PCM setting? Why does it work through the Bitstream setting? This is not correct. Why do we get sound cut outs via earch passthrough?

These are fundamental features that are simply broken on the LG tvs, I really think these features and settings should be tested as part of your reviews as it would help us out when making purchasing decisions.

So is motion/interpolation improved over last year or not? I didn't find the review clear enough in that regard.

Woah, there's a problem with eARC? If I were to buy one of these sets, I was looking to use eARC to connect to an existing AV receiver so I could watch the Apps on the tv, with the sound output through eARC to the receiver; surround, Atmos, etc. Are you saying this isn't reliable?

Woah, there's a problem with eARC? If I were to buy one of these sets, I was looking to use eARC to connect to an existing AV receiver so I could watch the Apps on the tv, with the sound output through eARC to the receiver; surround, Atmos, etc. Are you saying this isn't reliable?
I think it's specifically related to gaming consoles rather than AV receivers.

Thanks for the review @Phil Hinton nice and detailed.
Currently got a C9 65" myself and have just ordered a C1 77"
My main reason for upgrading is really down to size upgrade and wanting a larger panel for gaming immersion, but the improved near black performance will be welcome as well along with filmmaker mode. :thumbsup:
I also scored it for a hard to refuse amazing price :love:

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks as always for the great review @Phil Hinton

Only thing about the C-series I really hate is how low these screens are ... I can't understand why they do it on a set that a good proportion of people are going to couple with a soundbar.

Are the Crushed blacks on the CX still an issue?
I'd have hoped that LG would have been able to fix that with a Firmware update last year.

Trying to decide between the C1 and the CX so looking forward to the comparison, I like getting something that does it all but the discount on the outgoing model is appealing and would go a good way to paying for an Atmos upgrade.

@jmacc - tell me more about that amazing price...

Thanks as always for the great review @Phil Hinton

Only thing about the C-series I really hate is how low these screens are ... I can't understand why they do it on a set that a good proportion of people are going to couple with a soundbar.

Are the Crushed blacks on the CX still an issue?
I'd have hoped that LG would have been able to fix that with a Firmware update last year.

Trying to decide between the C1 and the CX so looking forward to the comparison, I like getting something that does it all but the discount on the outgoing model is appealing and would go a good way to paying for an Atmos upgrade.

@jmacc - tell me more about that amazing price...
I scored it for just over £2900, Sorry but a kinda one off deal :blush: :love: 😍

I think it's specifically related to gaming consoles rather than AV receivers.

Nope, not just consoles. ARC/eARC is a big mess on CX - stuttering, having to turn off/on eARC each time, only getting stereo via passthrough etc. I wanted to use the built in apps for streaming as well, but ended up getting an NVIDIA Shield TV instead.

So is motion/interpolation improved over last year or not? I didn't find the review clear enough in that regard.
Many reviews state that yes there is a decent improvement :thumbsup:

edit: that's if you have motion turned on.

Last edited:
Phil, would you able to confirm if eARC issues. eARC was brought and implemented to iron out old system ARC compatibility and other issues, when connecting to eARC Soundbars and AV Receivers.

Thanks for the review @Phil Hinton nice and detailed.
Currently got a C9 65" myself and have just ordered a C1 77"
My main reason for upgrading is really down to size upgrade and wanting a larger panel for gaming immersion, but the improved near black performance will be welcome as well along with filmmaker mode. :thumbsup:
I also scored it for a hard to refuse amazing price :love:

Thanks again.
Filmmaker mode !? Who's watching that mode ?? Buy a sportscar and put it in 1'st gear.. 🤷‍♂️

There are two full paragraphs on motion, but there is a new motion setting which some people will like. At AVForums we don't condone image smoothing and SOE, so you won't find me talking positively about those features.

There are two full paragraphs on motion, but there is a new motion setting which some people will like. At AVForums we don't condone image smoothing and SOE, so you won't find me talking positively about those features.
I must admit I do like a cheeky bit of motion smoothing turned on at times :blush:🤭🤫

Filmmaker mode !? Who's watching that mode ?? Buy a sportscar and put it in 1'st gear.. 🤷‍♂️
People who want to see colours and details as it was mastered and supposed to be seen. Any other settings are adding blue whites and fake colours that don't exist in the content.
Your analogy about the sports car makes no sense.

Nope, not just consoles. ARC/eARC is a big mess on CX - stuttering, having to turn off/on eARC each time, only getting stereo via passthrough etc. I wanted to use the built in apps for streaming as well, but ended up getting an NVIDIA Shield TV instead.

No such issues with ARC/eARC on my CX, issues that were present such as audio dropouts were fixed a while back, there is however a few reported issues on the G1 and presume the C1 with eArc.

Phil, would you able to confirm if eARC issues. eARC was brought and implemented to iron out old system ARC compatibility and other issues, when connecting to eARC Soundbars and AV Receivers.
I tested it and everything seemed fine here. I'll test again on the 55-inch that's arrived this week.

Ah.. a vivid kinda man maybe :cool::censored:

I don't have the skills to add the revelent title.
tumblr_mshgyxjwDI1sy769zo1_400.gif

Me, for one. Until I can finally get a calibrator booked, it is the preset that gives the best accuracy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom