LG C1 (OLED48C1) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

ChrisKz

Is it likely the C1 will return to this price early in the new year? If so I'd like to purchase at that time. However if the price is likely to raise again in the new year for a good few months... well I guess i'll have to purchase it now. & just ask the other half for forgiveness :love:
I say , best to get it now , while there are stocks , from what I have seen they are selling pretty quick as people get their gaming consoles

meltonboy

There seems to be 3 versions of the C1 48": C14LB, C15LA and C16LA.

Having looked at LGs website there seems to be little difference on the comparison chart. I think one didn't come with a power chord! It does mean that the various deals i've seen aren't quite the same unit. Is there a big difference? I don't need any audio and just want PQ and maximum future proofing with any features.

Thanks

MB

ChrisKz

Confusingly, there are three versions of the LG C1 in the UK: the C16LA reviewed here, the C14LB and the C15LA. The latter is exclusive to Currys PC World, while the remaining two will be split between all the other retailers. The C14LB has a dark grey rear panel, with the other two using white, but otherwise, all three TVs are identical in terms of specifications, picture quality and features. .............. Quoted from Expert reviews

meltonboy

Confusingly, there are three versions of the LG C1 in the UK: the C16LA reviewed here, the C14LB and the C15LA. The latter is exclusive to Currys PC World, while the remaining two will be split between all the other retailers. The C14LB has a dark grey rear panel, with the other two using white, but otherwise, all three TVs are identical in terms of specifications, picture quality and features. .............. Quoted from Expert reviews

Great, thanks @ChrisKz

Since i don't care about the colour of the back of the unit, that i'll never look at, i'll just focus on price / warranty periods. Selfridges had it last week for 899 but it was a limited time offer (although i haven't checked if it has been extended). Even at £1,000 it looks like a cracker.

MB

Last edited:

ChrisKz

Great, thanks @ChrisKz

Since i don't care about the colour of the back of the unit, that i'll never look at, i'll just focus on price / warranty periods. Selfridges had it last week for 899 but it was a limited time offer (although i haven't checked if it has been extended). Even at £1,000 it looks like a cracker.

MB
I got mine from RicherSounds and it came with free 6 year warranty £999 . I paid a tenner for next day delivery on top .. must say its's a cracking set .. I was waiting for x box series x to arrive in stock , and the scalpers on ebay are just low lifes , so Why not treat myself to another new TV and wait until next year when stocks come back in . .. I'm happy with the TV and defo no complaints

oldfart

Had the 48C16LA delivered Wednesday from Richer Sounds and I am very impressed, especially with the picture quality. Started streaming a movie via Amazon last night, straight away got a message on screen asking if I wanted use "Filmmaker Mode" which I did and was blown away by the picture quality, the on board sound is also above average for a modern tv, and since it was delivered have not used the Panasonic sound bar. This has replaced a six year old 50" Panasonic and just shows how far screen technology has come in that time. This tv should be on anybody's shortlist as I think it will be hard to beat.

FYI it was on RS website for £899 reduced to £799, Entered the code for free next day delivery and at checkout the final bill was £779. Was not delivered next day but it was worth the wait.

ChrisKz

Had the 48C16LA delivered Wednesday from Richer Sounds and I am very impressed, especially with the picture quality. Started streaming a movie via Amazon last night, straight away got a message on screen asking if I wanted use "Filmmaker Mode" which I did and was blown away by the picture quality, the on board sound is also above average for a modern tv, and since it was delivered have not used the Panasonic sound bar. This has replaced a six year old 50" Panasonic and just shows how far screen technology has come in that time. This tv should be on anybody's shortlist as I think it will be hard to beat.

FYI it was on RS website for £899 reduced to £799, Entered the code for free next day delivery and at checkout the final bill was £779. Was not delivered next day but it was worth the wait.
The stand shocked me as to how heavy it is .. I am in the process of wall mounting ( using the wire mounting kit) i usually use the "arm type " . It is impressive I have a B7 Oled in same room and side by side , the C1 looks a superior picture ( to me anyways ) . Just bought several HDMI 2.1 cables direct from Kenable ready to plug in

D

Deleted member 879184

Appears to be back at £999 now? :(

Shipit

Novice Member
I purchased an LG 55” C1 a couple of weeks ago and really love the picture. I tried tweaking a bunch of settings and ended up not satisfied with any of my tweaks. I tried the FMM setting, but I didn’t really like the picture. I’m not sure why LG and many reviewers recommend this setting. The picture seems dull and only a few movies appear to activate this setting. A message appears occasionally asking if I want to activate this setting.
I watched a review that suggested using the Expert (light room) or Expert (dark room) settings. Since my living room requires watching in a lighted room, I chose this setting and I’m really happy with the results. For most any streaming content I watch, this setting achieves dark blacks, accurate facial tones, and great color. Since this setting seems to work well for my view of what appears as correct color, I never feel the need to switch picture modes.
The sound from the tv’s speakers is impressive. I bought a sound bar with EARC compatibility because everyone knows tv speakers are crappy, but I think I could have done without it. The back of the C1’s base does allow for placement of a soundbar behind the tv and this placement still allows for clear, reflective sound.
The one group of things that I don’t like is the lack of documentation on how to set up, operate or tweak the home page, make various home page or app settings and navigate the various screens. I realize the remote is a big step up from the last LG remote, but it’s still designed for small hands and pushing the wrong button is a constant aggravation due to poor button relief and placement on the controller.
It seems like the C1 is so new that the documentation is a work in progress and full documentation is way behind the release and, hopefully, still being worked on. There are some things that I still haven’t gotten to work and can’t find out how to get them to work.

Rip

Does anyone know an easy way round having two LG oled's in the same room & not having an issue with the remotes interfering with each other? I'd like to get the 48" C1 as a second set for my bedroom but I already have a 65" C6 oled in there & in the past I had an LG lcd set as my second tv & the remote issue was a pain, I replaced it with a Samsung but would like to upgrade that now to the 48" C1. Besides trying to cover the ir sensor on the set's is there any other way round it? I was also looking at the Philips 806 but its not as good for gaming.

Rip

Had the 48C16LA delivered Wednesday from Richer Sounds and I am very impressed,
Are you sure its not the LG OLED 48A16LA you bought from RS? RS sell the LG OLED48C14LB version of the C1 without Wisa support & has a black rear panel, the LG OLED48C16LA version has a white rear panel & has Wisa support but RS dont sell it.

Last edited:

ChrisKz

Does anyone know an easy way round having two LG oled's in the same room & not having an issue with the remotes interfering with each other? I'd like to get the 48" C1 as a second set for my bedroom but I already have a 65" C6 oled in there & in the past I had an LG lcd set as my second tv & the remote issue was a pain, I replaced it with a Samsung but would like to upgrade that now to the 48" C1. Besides trying to cover the ir sensor on the set's is there any other way round it? I was also looking at the Philips 806 but its not as good for gaming.
I just put my hand in the way of the remote to whichever tv , I don't wish to watch , or just tell Alexa to tell the C1 to turn on . For some reason . I never had to set up Alexa on the LG C1

Rip

I just put my hand in the way of the remote to whichever tv , I don't wish to watch , or just tell Alexa to tell the C1 to turn on . For some reason . I never had to set up Alexa on the LG C1
You have two LG tv's close together & this works for you does it? I'm very tempted to order one...

ChrisKz

You have two LG tv's close together & this works for you does it? I'm very tempted to order one...
just make sure than you either have the App , or Logitech remote ( I figured it out the hard way .. rofl ) . I just assign different names ,, example lg tv on , or TV on lounge / bedroom/kitchen .. or just number them .. Have to admit "Alexa" is excellent around the home .. Even working my Onkyo and the different hdmi inputs etc . Just about everything is voice controlled now

paulboland

Are you sure its not the LG OLED 48A16LA you bought from RS? RS sell the LG OLED48C14LB version of the C1 without Wisa support & has a black rear panel, the LG OLED48C16LA version has a white rear panel & has Wisa support but RS dont sell it.
Richer Sounds sells LG OLED48A16LA and LG OLED48C14LB

oldfart purchased the 48A version if price was £799

48A version is £799 (HDMI 2.0)

48C version is £999 (HDMI 2.1)

Last edited:

Rip

Richer Sounds sells LG OLED48A16LA and LG OLED48C14LB

oldfart purchased the 48A version if price was £799

48A version is £799 (HDMI 2.0)

48C version is £999 (HDMI 2.1)
Yeah that's basically what I was saying lol, but he wrote that he bought the C1.. 😄😂

oldfart

Yeah that's basically what I was saying lol, but he wrote that he bought the C1.. 😄😂
Yes was the 48A. Will have to be more careful what I type in!, just in case I get a message from the typo police.

Rip

Yes was the 48A. Will have to be more careful what I type in!, just in case I get a message from the typo police.
Yeah but you're on a review thread/post about the C1 saying you bought the C1 for £779, when it was actually only the inferior A1 you bought. So yeah watch them typo's or you might get a visit from the typo police..:nono:

meltonboy

I've replaced my 2005 panasonic plamsa with this over the weekend. I realise that the bar was very low, but i'm blown away with the picture quality. The blacks levels are especially amazing. I'm very happy indeed with my purchase.

And the best thing was that Mrs MB didn't complain that the screen was too big - the total unit is smaller than my old plasma.

MB

Rip

The C14LB has a dark grey rear panel, with the other two using white, but otherwise, all three TVs are identical in terms of specifications, picture quality and features. .............. Quoted from Expert reviews

They're actually wrong with that statement, the C16LA has built in Wisa support (wireless audio) where as the C14LB doesn't, I don't if the Curry's only model has it or not.

windhoek

I was getting close to buying a 48C1 this week but I think I just discovered that these TVs come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug, is that right?

This is bad news for me as the tube I plumbed into my brick wall years ago is too narrow for a plug to go through it. I can get all sorts of cables through no problem, HDMI, Optical, TV aerial etc, but a plug? No chance.

I'd either have to leave the power cable running up the outside of the wall or snip off the plug and fit a new one once I've pulled the cable through the tube, but you can be sure that doing that would void any warranty. I suppose I could do the latter once the warranty is up but as I'd almost certainly be buying from a retailer that offered an extended warranty, well that's a long time to leave the power cable in view when every other cable is out of sight.

Does the 48C1 really come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug?

Rip

Does the 48C1 really come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug?
I can confirm that the 48C16LA comes with a moulded plug, but it looks like you can easily unscrew the lil panel here & maybe disconnect it instead of cutting? It may be different on the 48C14LB but I'm sure someone here will confirm.

Attachments

• 20211124_142152.jpg
    20211124_142152.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 29

meltonboy

When you remove that panel you find the cord is wired into the main unit rather than a pull out 2 or 3 pin socket. So, a power cord upgrade would likely require cutting the existing wire.

MB

windhoek

If the back panel could be easily removed I should be able to replace the power cable to allow the cable to run through the tube in my wall, but it's a faff. If there's a £900 alternative to the 48C1 then I need to have a look at it before I buy a 48C1.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Perlisten Audio launches loudspeaker ranges in UK
  • By Andy Bassett