LG C1 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hi all, I am going to buy a C1 65".
I know they are in short supply so very few suppliers have them in stock.
I wonder if anyone knows the answers to a few questions?
1) Of the 3 different versions C14lb, C15la & C16la are they priced the same or is the C16la more expensive due to the WISA option?
2) I know some of you have laughed off the suggestion of ordering from LG direct but can the service really be that much different from a retail outlet and considering the offer of a 10% saving its very tempting?
3) Does this TV work well with a full sized behometh wall bracket, one that really swings out and tilts etc? It has the big side arms that fix to the TV and hook over the long rectangle faceplate for sliding etc. I have a big Pany plasma on it (very heavy).

Cheers

There newer video with value electronics guy and the guy who calibrates their tv's suggested Americans are getting the Evo panels in the C1 and LG simply make one panel now so its all part of the Evo line up. Europeans and even others may still get that "old" panel due to stock though, but more likely the American's get the new panel.

If LG are doing one type of panel now then id guess Sony and the others also get the Evo panel if not now or later.

The calibrator did suggest though the Lgs and Sonys are so good out the box its hard to tell if any difference since its so accurate, it sounds like LG maybe doing a bit of calibrating at the factory over say 2020 oleds now. Sony already do some calibration we know.

Yes, thanks. I'd started to watch the vid yesterday as well. They seemed confident all the US C1's are getting the newer panel, but not sure about the European ones. The guy suggested it may even be just the white back ones getting the older panels but they clearly weren't sure.

As a potential buyer based in the UK, I already know I'd be paying more than a US buyer, and find the idea that I might be getting an inferior product for the privilege quite intolerable.

I appreciate it's not a big deal for some, but personally certainly won't be pulling the trigger until I know exactly whats going on with this panel situation.

I'm surprised there's even the possibility LG is putting different spec hardware in machines with the same prefix product code.

Is there a way to display the current resolution and details from the active source? I'm pretty sure I seen some quick remote button press to show those details.

Hello,

matter some help on these settings, if I may. It follows my issue I’m having with 5.1 only coming through 2 speakers on sound bar via Amazon Prime built in app... and I don’t know if any of these are playing a apart?

1) HDMI Input Audio Format - the only available port is ‘hdmi 1’ which is my virgin cable box -> options: Bitstream or PCM (I’m presuming my soundbar doesn't show up as this is not a sound input, so probably has no bearing on the above?)

2) Digital sound Output - should I be using PCM - Auto (which is what it is currently set on) - Pass Through?

Many Thanks

There newer video with value electronics guy and the guy who calibrates their tv's suggested Americans are getting the Evo panels in the C1 and LG simply make one panel now so its all part of the Evo line up. Europeans and even others may still get that "old" panel due to stock though, but more likely the American's get the new panel.

If LG are doing one type of panel now then id guess Sony and the others also get the Evo panel if not now or later.

The calibrator did suggest though the Lgs and Sonys are so good out the box its hard to tell if any difference since its so accurate, it sounds like LG maybe doing a bit of calibrating at the factory over say 2020 oleds now. Sony already do some calibration we know.

To my eyes there is a noticeable improvement in the C1 ootb as opposed to the CX.

Yes, thanks. I'd started to watch the vid yesterday as well. They seemed confident all the US C1's are getting the newer panel, but not sure about the European ones. The guy suggested it may even be just the white back ones getting the older panels but they clearly weren't sure.

As a potential buyer based in the UK, I already know I'd be paying more than a US buyer, and find the idea that I might be getting an inferior product for the privilege quite intolerable.

I appreciate it's not a big deal for some, but personally certainly won't be pulling the trigger until I know exactly whats going on with this panel situation.

I'm surprised there's even the possibility LG is putting different spec hardware in machines with the same prefix product code.
It is a bit iffy with it all, I think since there is no way to physically check the panel type its not going to be easy either.

Id guesstimate once C1s go out of stock or have been sold for at least another 6-8 months the 2022+ TVs will probably all use the evo panels but by then or next spring 2022 we go through it all again with the next Oleds.

Just got a notification from John Lewis to book a delivery for my 48" C1, unfortunately the earliest available delivery is Thursday next week and I'm away so will need to wait until the following week :(

Just had notification from JL that my 55" C1 will be with me on Wednesday!

Hope the panel lottery is good to me this year.

Last edited:
I also have just had confirmation from JL that my 48" C1 is ready for delivery next Wednesday. They obviously have just had a batch delivered. My first OLED!

Me too! Wednesday next week.

Can we share advice with Gaming settings etc? It's my first TV in 11 years!! :D

55GZ950B to 55C1 for me, should be a nice upgrade!

Last edited:
It is a bit iffy with it all, I think since there is no way to physically check the panel type its not going to be easy either.

Id guesstimate once C1s go out of stock or have been sold for at least another 6-8 months the 2022+ TVs will probably all use the evo panels but by then or next spring 2022 we go through it all again with the next Oleds.
That's one of my other questions actually about whether the panel type can be physically identified, or whether only a pro calibrator could tell through testing. There was some talk about the newer panels coming specifically from one of the two main factories and that it may be marked on the machine which factory the panel came from. But I've been able to verify that.

The gen consensus is that the older panels are being phased out/just used up and that perhaps by some time later in the year it will all be newer panels. And certainly by next years models. But I don't really want to wait that long. Just need some unequivocal information about the situation really. Currently it's mostly speculative.

I doubt the panel new or old makes much difference as the C1 does not have the evo bits of the G1.

My main concern is getting a good uniform panel!

Last edited:
Hello,

matter some help on these settings, if I may. It follows my issue I’m having with 5.1 only coming through 2 speakers on sound bar via Amazon Prime built in app... and I don’t know if any of these are playing a apart?

1) HDMI Input Audio Format - the only available port is ‘hdmi 1’ which is my virgin cable box -> options: Bitstream or PCM (I’m presuming my soundbar doesn't show up as this is not a sound input, so probably has no bearing on the above?)

2) Digital sound Output - should I be using PCM - Auto (which is what it is currently set on) - Pass Through?

Many Thanks
Soundbar settings can be a little different depending on each soundbar of course. I tried setting my soundbar (Samsung q90r) to PCM at first and only had stereo too. I put it to pass through and that works.
Do make sure your soundbar is plugged into the right HDMI which I believe is HMDI 2. It says earc on it.
For HDMI input audio format, I use Bitstream when possible as.

Soundbar settings can be a little different depending on each soundbar of course. I tried setting my soundbar (Samsung q90r) to PCM at first and only had stereo too. I put it to pass through and that works.
Do make sure your soundbar is plugged into the right HDMI which I believe is HMDI 2. It says earc on it.
For HDMI input audio format, I use Bitstream when possible as.
Thank you for this, very helpful indeed. I will double check the things you have mentioned and try the setting to and see how It goes :) Thanks again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom