LG C1 - No audio to 5.1 system

whovous

Standard Member
I recently replaced my old HD Panasonic Plasma with an LG C1. I cannot get it to play nice with my Emotiva UMC-200 pre/processor.

With the Panasonic, I would feed all inputs to the 200 and then send the video out to the TV. The UMC-200 will not pass a 4K signal, so I am now feeding the inputs (primarily a Roku 2020 Box and a cable STB) first to the TV and from there to the Emotiva.

I tried ARC first - running a brand new cable from the HDMI-2 ARC of the C1 to the ARC on the 200. The TV identifies the Emotiva as a "soundbar", so it knows it is there, but I am unable to get sound to my speakers no matter how much I play with settings.

I also tried a new optical cable. Changed the settings to Optical, disabled Simplink, etc., but did not change the results. Silence. Ran the same cable from my Oppo to the 200 optical input and got sound on the first try.

I am convinced the problem is in the TV. I am willing to live with imperfect sound because the TV room is tiny and an acoustic mess, but I am not willing to be limited to only the TV speakers.

Suggestions?

next010

Distinguished Member
Factory reset the TV then try the HDMI-ARC connection again and use TV settings
eARC = disabled
HDMI audio input = PCM
Digital sound output = PCM

See if its at least able to send stereo PCM to the UMC-200.

whovous

Standard Member
I will also disconnect Roku, etc and try using only the built-in apps. I want to eliminate every possible variable.

whovous

Standard Member
TLDR - It is fixed.

I will not bother with details beyond saying I've spent several hours over the past week or two with this problem and I have tried a ridiculous number of fixes. I settled on the course described above, but then decided to pull the power cord before doing anything else. I spent awhile disconnecting everything but the HDMI-ARC cable and the CAT-5 cable to the modem and made sure all the speakers were connected, then plugged in the TV.

I decided to try using a built-in app before going thru the whole reset process again. I chose YouTube on the assumption that meant I would not need to register anything first. I got audio just as soon as I hit play.

Turned everything off, reconnected Roku, went to Netflix, picked a flick, and got sound just I always should.

I don't think disconnecting and reconnecting did anything. I think pulling the power plug did the trick. No idea why, but nothing else really makes sense.

Eyesnears

TLDR - It is fixed.

I will not bother with details beyond saying I've spent several hours over the past week or two with this problem and I have tried a ridiculous number of fixes. I settled on the course described above, but then decided to pull the power cord before doing anything else. I spent awhile disconnecting everything but the HDMI-ARC cable and the CAT-5 cable to the modem and made sure all the speakers were connected, then plugged in the TV.

I decided to try using a built-in app before going thru the whole reset process again. I chose YouTube on the assumption that meant I would not need to register anything first. I got audio just as soon as I hit play.

Turned everything off, reconnected Roku, went to Netflix, picked a flick, and got sound just I always should.

I don't think disconnecting and reconnecting did anything. I think pulling the power plug did the trick. No idea why, but nothing else really makes sense.
Well done! I am glad that you resolve the issue. Hopefully LG will issue a fix for 5.1 pass through related issues that people are experiencing across various receivers/soundbars.

chunky lafunga

Novice Member
TLDR - It is fixed.

Has the fix remained or did it return by any chance?

whovous

Standard Member
The fix has remained. No problems whatsoever. One thing that might be unclear from the above is that I never got around to doing the factory reset this time around. I pulled the plug intending to do a reset next, but I got sound before reaching that step.

I had tried a reset without pulling the plug a week or so earlier. No luck then.

danjac

Novice Member
Factory reset the TV then try the HDMI-ARC connection again and use TV settings
eARC = disabled
HDMI audio input = PCM
Digital sound output = PCM

See if its at least able to send stereo PCM to the UMC-200.
I'm have same issue, but with a Marantz NR1403 and this new LG C1 TV, followed above steps but still no sound.
Yet TV recognises Marantz Sound Bar on HDMI2. Although when I go into the universal control settings, it's device type is listed a 'Bluetooth/Sound Bar, on HDMI 2(ARC).
Is this just a common problem, and tough luck for me?

whovous

Standard Member
It is curious that both of our devices were listed as soundbars. Did you try pulling the plug on the TV?

whovous

Standard Member
If you find a fix, let us know. If using the built-in youtube app turns out to be the cure, my faith in any coherence or order to the universe will be irreparably damaged.

danjac

Novice Member
I'm not saying its youtube, but not saying it isn't either. Committed cardinal sin of changing several things at once so I'll never be sure, but got it working, and of course it was youtube that proved it.

1. Power both off at wall, unplugged all HDMI leads from the amp apart from the one going monitor out to hdmi 2 on TV.
2. Turned both on, set TV to HDMI 2 source.
3. Re-enabled 'HDMI control' on the amp.
4. Noticed the TV now recognises the amp as NR1403 and not Marantz sound bar.
5. Opened youtube and sound working fine through the amp (didn't even change sound out on TV, it had auto-switched from TV speakers to HDMI ARC).
6. Disney/ Netflix all good too.
7. Reconnected bluray and BTyouview box to amp and all is well now, amp can send video or receive sound depending on source selector, and TV turns it off and controls volume.
8. Only downside is only PCM mode works, but guess that's same as if I go optical cable, multi-channel stereo it is then.

Thanks @whovous not sure what for exactly but its now working and that what matters.

whovous

Standard Member
Re: 5 - I am pretty sure my set auto-switched to HDMI ARC as well.

In my case, youtube was the very first built-in app I ever used on the TV. Previously, I'd fed it from a Roku box, a Fire stick, or my Comcast cable box. Was this your first use of an app in the set as well?

No idea why this might have made the difference, but it makes more sense than ascribing thaumaturgic qualities to youtube.

MuzMc

Guys- sorry if asked before. Couldn’t see it.

I got my C1 65 inch yesterday- i switched it on to test it before boxing up to go to a new room once decorated. All worked fine apart from Sky Q, which flicked on and off a black screen every 3-4 seconds.

I’ve updated the LG software- and the Sky box too. Should that sort it? I’m at work now abs we boxed the TV up last night- so just before I set it all up again to test it, wondering if anyone else had the issue?

KevG123

Guys- sorry if asked before. Couldn’t see it.

I got my C1 65 inch yesterday- i switched it on to test it before boxing up to go to a new room once decorated. All worked fine apart from Sky Q, which flicked on and off a black screen every 3-4 seconds.

I’ve updated the LG software- and the Sky box too. Should that sort it? I’m at work now abs we boxed the TV up last night- so just before I set it all up again to test it, wondering if anyone else had the issue?
After the latest LG C1 update I had this problem too. I did a hard reboot of the Sky Q box (pulled out the power cord) and all seems well now

danjac

Novice Member
Re: 5 - I am pretty sure my set auto-switched to HDMI ARC as well.

In my case, youtube was the very first built-in app I ever used on the TV. Previously, I'd fed it from a Roku box, a Fire stick, or my Comcast cable box. Was this your first use of an app in the set as well?

No idea why this might have made the difference, but it makes more sense than ascribing thaumaturgic qualities to youtube.
Sorry missed this reply, yes it was my first use, great word, thaumaturgic, but I'm sure it was a combination of disconnecting everything else and adjusting the TV settings first then the amp, I'd previously done it the other way around.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom