LG C1 (Few questions)

JayKay70

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I received my LG C1 yesterday and have been messing around with the settings and just have some questions.

What is the benefit of editing the HDMI and changing it too PC for gaming?
What is better, HGIG or Dynamic Tone Mapping for gaming?
What is better, Dolby Vision or AMD Freesync premium?......I'm sure i read somehwere that if you turn on AMD Freesync premium it stops Dolby Vision working but my Xbox settings shows it still working?
Does it matter that i have the Xbox settings saved as 4k/120 all the time when pretty much most games run at 60.
What is the best choice to use when using the t.v for browsing the internet/youtube etc etc, vivid/standard/eco/game.

Hi All,

I received my LG C1 yesterday and have been messing around with the settings and just have some questions.

What is the benefit of editing the HDMI and changing it too PC for gaming?
Its for correct PC desktop rendering not gaming, its not much use to game consoles.
What is better, HGIG or Dynamic Tone Mapping for gaming?
I would suggest simply sticking with Dolby Vision given your TV and console support it.
What is better, Dolby Vision or AMD Freesync premium?......I'm sure i read somehwere that if you turn on AMD Freesync premium it stops Dolby Vision working but my Xbox settings shows it still working?
AMD Freesync is irrelevant to you, its for PC AMD GPU's on the TV and on Xbox its there for use with PC monitors. Xbox and TV use HDMI-VRR by default which also works with HDR/DV.

Freesync does work with DV at same time on C1 series with latest firmware but you simply don't need Freesync enabled.
Does it matter that i have the Xbox settings saved as 4k/120 all the time when pretty much most games run at 60.
What is the best choice to use when using the t.v for browsing the internet/youtube etc etc, vivid/standard/eco/game.

HDMI-VRR takes care of the fact that games are not running at 120fps when using 4K 120hz output, VRR dynamically matches the refresh rate and game frame rate.

ISF Expert bright or dark room are the more accurate out of the box preset modes if you want to use them with the TV internal apps, dont use console for apps (its worse).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@next010 thanks for the replies.

Bit confused with the part where you say "Its for correct PC desktop rendering not gaming, its not much use to game consoles"

According to this person who seems to be well respected (sorry if i'm wrong) says different.

Skip too 3:50

Also you said "I would suggest simply sticking with Dolby Vision given your TV and console support it"

But the person in the above video (Skip too 9:10) mentions nothing about dolby vision when talking about HGIG or Dynamic Tone Mapping for gaming.

Now i'm not sure wether to edit the HDMI imputs, some say on here yes, some on here say no, video above says yes, Rtings says you don't have to as the tv automatically knows if you have switched over to a p.c......Sorry i'm just getting confused.

Upvote 0
I know Vincent says that in his video but it really doesn't make a perceptible difference to game consoles were RGB/YUV output is the norm on TV's. Technically he is right but is ignoring that LG's PC mode can have its own bugs/issues.

RGB chroma 444 is for rendering fine text on PC desktop and this is were it makes a big difference.

PS5 does not support Dolby Vision, Xbox does.

On DV output the video format will be 12-bit YUV 422 so chroma 444 isn't even being used.

For HDR10 10-bit RGB 444 is possible with Xbox but DV is better than HDR10.

Just ignore the PC mode you do not need it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@next010 thanks again, just a few things to clear things up:

For my Xbox what input would you use: HDMI-1 (Default) or Game Console or PC (i'm guessing Game Console)
For my P.C what input would you use: HDMI-2 (Default) or Game Console or PC (i'm guessing HDMI-2)
Under White Balance when playing a HD game would you use: HGIG or Dynamic Tone Mapping On or Dynamic Tone Mapping Off

Also i don't understand why but when looking at letters on the internet some of the letters seem to have a hint of color to them even though the letters are meant to all be black.

For instance where it says "Distinguished Member" under your name the letter colors look a bit like this: Distinguished Member.......not as prominent as that but i can see it :confused:.

But the text in your post is all black, it seems the smaller the letter the more i see it.....or is it this forum.

Upvote 0
@next010 thanks again, just a few things to clear things up:

For my Xbox what input would you use: HDMI-1 (Default) or Game Console or PC (i'm guessing Game Console)
Use Game mode 4k 120hz DV enabled, VRR active.
For my P.C what input would you use: HDMI-2 (Default) or Game Console or PC (i'm guessing HDMI-2)
PC mode, 4K 120hz G-Sync or Freesync active, turn on HGIG if using PC for HDR games. The Windows HDR mode forces HDR on all the time and emulates SDR within HDR, I recommend going into the Win->settings->display->HDcolour->SDR/HDR balance and drag the slider down to 10, doing this will better emulate SDR.

If not gaming then 4K 60hz SDR is fine.

Also if using PC for desktop purposes on OLED set a short screensaver time out, switch the OS and apps to dark mode were supported otherwise ABL (auto brightness limiter) will be very annoying.

Get an animated wallpaper like wallpaperengine on steam. A desktop OS has a lot of static elements.

There is also this utility that allows quick switching SDR/HDR in windows if your interested.
Under White Balance when playing a HD game would you use: HGIG or Dynamic Tone Mapping On or Dynamic Tone Mapping Off
For PC use HGIG, on console DV does its own thing so HGIG/DTM don't apply.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole go watch this guy on Youtube who compares all of the HDR modes in games.
Also i don't understand why but when looking at letters on the internet some of the letters seem to have a hint of color to them even though the letters are meant to all be black.

For instance where it says "Distinguished Member" under your name the letter colors look a bit like this: Distinguished Member.......not as prominent as that but i can see it :confused:.

But the text in your post is all black, it seems the smaller the letter the more i see it.....or is it this forum.
Not sure what that is, if it only happens on this forum and not others might be a rendering bug in whatever you using for web browsing. Try changing picture modes on the TV and see if it persists or change browser/device used for browsing etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom