LG C1 - "Battle of the Switching HDMI inputs"

RocketMan66

Novice Member
I've been battling with HDMI switching issues between my LG C1 TV and Samsung Q950T Sounbdbar for months now and I am fed up with it.
I have a Harmony remote with Activities setup for watching TV, watching Shield and playing Xbox. The activities are setup correctly to switch inputs for each Activity.

However, when running an Activity, I regularly have to resort to grabbing either the Soundbar remote or the LG C1 TV remote to correct issues with either the TV or Soundbar going to the wrong inputs. There is an annoying interaction going on. I can't say whether it's the TV or the Soundbar at fault (or both).

I run a Home Assistant system that gives me additional monitoring and controls of the TV and Soundbar. I have automations setup to monitor when the inputs stray and try to correct them. This seems to help, but the inputs still change sometimes. No matter what I do, I cannot control the inputs reliably everytime.

I have Simplink enabled. It's my understanding that I cannot disable it when using eARC. Perhaps I can use a non eARC connection, but I think I lose functionality and audio capabilities for Dolby Digital. Sorry, I am not well educated on these matters.

My HDMI configuration is as below:

LG C1: HDMI2 (eARC) ---------------------- Soundbar: eARC
Shield -------------------------------------------- Soundbar: HDMI 1
Xbox ---------------------------------------------- Soundbar: HDMI 2

I've seen other posts related suggest using Optical rather than HDMI, but this isn't going to help me, as my Shield does not have Optical.
Is there a solution for this issue?

Cheers

KBD

I'm not sure how closely related this is, but I had a bit of bug with mine when I first set it up.
I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the two HDMI outputs of my Sony UHD blu-ray player, so Video went to my LG-CX, & Audio went to my Samsung soundbar.

If I was playing a disc & pressed pause, when pressing play to resume it would switch audio back to the eARC instead of the blu-ray player.

There was a workaround, just press pause to resume, but instead I just decided to run the video through the soundbar.

I also most recently had some weird issues with two devices 'fighting' for power or something.
I can't run my UHD-Apple-TV & Roku-Ultra at the same time, or else there are weird little issues.

I've set them up so they can't be used simultaneously, but the problem with that is I need to get up & go swap the Power cord for them.
I also need to swap the ethernet wire over, so I need to get up anyway.

next010

Distinguished Member
I've been battling with HDMI switching issues between my LG C1 TV and Samsung Q950T Sounbdbar for months now and I am fed up with it.
I have a Harmony remote with Activities setup for watching TV, watching Shield and playing Xbox. The activities are setup correctly to switch inputs for each Activity.

However, when running an Activity, I regularly have to resort to grabbing either the Soundbar remote or the LG C1 TV remote to correct issues with either the TV or Soundbar going to the wrong inputs. There is an annoying interaction going on. I can't say whether it's the TV or the Soundbar at fault (or both).

I run a Home Assistant system that gives me additional monitoring and controls of the TV and Soundbar. I have automations setup to monitor when the inputs stray and try to correct them. This seems to help, but the inputs still change sometimes. No matter what I do, I cannot control the inputs reliably everytime.

I have Simplink enabled. It's my understanding that I cannot disable it when using eARC. Perhaps I can use a non eARC connection, but I think I lose functionality and audio capabilities for Dolby Digital. Sorry, I am not well educated on these matters.

My HDMI configuration is as below:

LG C1: HDMI2 (eARC) ---------------------- Soundbar: eARC
Shield -------------------------------------------- Soundbar: HDMI 1
Xbox ---------------------------------------------- Soundbar: HDMI 2

I've seen other posts related suggest using Optical rather than HDMI, but this isn't going to help me, as my Shield does not have Optical.
Is there a solution for this issue?

Cheers

Using HDMI-CEC (Simplink for LG & Anynet for Samsung) with a harmony is going to have problems like this as the CEC and IR commands conflict.

For example LG's CEC implementation is programmed to activate the home screen of a sound system when you switch to the ARC port of the TV, the intent being your using the TV remote to navigate the on screen display. It can also auto switch inputs on power/signal detection.

Your always going to be fighting against that above CEC command, the TV's OS is also supposed to scan for CEC devices attached to a sound system and present them on the input menu of WebOS so you can bypass the sound system menu but this doesn't always work.

You cant use ARC without CEC being active on LG's TV's so your only solution as you've mentioned is to turn off ARC/CEC and use optical with the Harmony acting as the only IR command source.

To use optical on LG
  • Audio format must be PCM 2.0 (stereo) or Dolby Digital 5.1 on Shield or Xbox.
  • In WebOS sound settings set digital output = auto
  • In WebOS sound settings set HDMI input format = bistream
  • Set optical as output.

The other option is try use the LG Magic remote with ARC/CEC instead of the Harmony.

RocketMan66

Novice Member
Using HDMI-CEC (Simplink for LG & Anynet for Samsung) with a harmony is going to have problems like this as the CEC and IR commands conflict.

For example LG's CEC implementation is programmed to activate the home screen of a sound system when you switch to the ARC port of the TV, the intent being your using the TV remote to navigate the on screen display. It can also auto switch inputs on power/signal detection.

Your always going to be fighting against that above CEC command, the TV's OS is also supposed to scan for CEC devices attached to a sound system and present them on the input menu of WebOS so you can bypass the sound system menu but this doesn't always work.

You cant use ARC without CEC being active on LG's TV's so your only solution as you've mentioned is to turn off ARC/CEC and use optical with the Harmony acting as the only IR command source.

To use optical on LG
  • Audio format must be PCM 2.0 (stereo) or Dolby Digital 5.1 on Shield or Xbox.
  • In WebOS sound settings set digital output = auto
  • In WebOS sound settings set HDMI input format = bistream
  • Set optical as output.

The other option is try use the LG Magic remote with ARC/CEC instead of the Harmony.
Thank you very much, that makes sense of it.

I have a 7.1 sound system. I don't think optical supports 7.1. I played around with CEC settings on all my devices and tried using the LG remote. It works pretty well, so I will stick with that for a while.

I can see why Logitech have dropped support for Harmony given the CEC abilities and issues I have faced.

Joe C

Distinguished Member
I use a Harmony with my C1 and have Simplink enabled. I had a similar issue that you have but with my Denon X4700 and when my Zidoo player turned on, it would always revert back to the TV input on my Denon. To get round it I customised the activity that turns it all on, and added a 10 second pause and then set the input back to the Zidoo again.

Works perfectly as it takes that long for everything to fire up fully

b1g1an

I have a 7.1 sound system. I don't think optical supports 7.1. I played around with CEC settings on all my devices and tried using the LG remote. It works pretty well, so I will stick with that for a while.

I can see why Logitech have dropped support for Harmony given the CEC abilities and issues I have faced.
I get no issues with mine switching properly when changing activity, you will need Simplink on to output over ARC but make sure you turn any mention of CEC off on your other devices.

d0x360

Novice Member
Sounds like ALLM to me... Have you tried disabling ALLM in the Xbox settings and see if that fixes it?

Also you can setup the Xbox in the tv as bitstream then passthrough if you want 7.1. You can also set the Xbox to passthrough.

That's how mines setup and there's no issue with 7.1, Atmos or audio sync issues.

smvz

Novice Member

I had similar issues with my Shield 2019 tube and its dominant CEC effect.
The following reddit post describes it -> reddit post.

For now I settled on disabling some 'power' settings (sleep, wake, focus etc) and stick with having to turn off my (lg) tv manually, for I disabled the Shield to have that effect when powering down.
Awaking the Shield still wakes the tv/receiver but it allows my receiver to change sources from Shield to another connected device (laptop) and also change the preset/desired video config to 'game optimizer' fe.

[LG TV specific] In my attempt to find a root cause I also deleted any 'extended' remote control (CEC?) configurations that were enforced via detecting hdmi connections.
That setting is not found in the generic settings but by pressing the 'home' button and opening the 'home dashboard'. There on the top-right you select the 3 dots and select "universal control settings". You can undo stuff there.

Stupifier

Novice Member
Just so you guys know......there is a hidden menu on the LG C1 that will help you.
It allows you to turn off Device Power Sync while still keeping SIMPLINK/CEC on.

With no other menus open, Press Mute over and over on the remote until a menu comes up to see the options.

gdbagley

If you’ve got Harmony, is there a way to disable CEC control on your other devices?

For example, on my Marantz AVR you can toggle certain controls, like input switching off, but keep other features on

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom