LG C1 audio capabilities. 7.1.2?

nick9one1

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a C1 and have a Samsung Q90 7.1.2 Atmos soundbar.
I know the C1 supports Atmos, but I read a review saying only 5.1.2. ~
Is this correct?

If I decide I want 7.1.2 I will probably need to buy a Nvidea Shield.
What would the best way to connect it be?

Shield --(HDMI cable)-- TV --(eARC cable)-- Soundbar
or
Shield --(HDMI cable)-- Soundbar --(eARC cable)-- TV

Screenshot 2022-04-20 114815.png

If you want the most flexible sound support I would go Shield to Soundbar to TV.

Me too. I don't know why LG doesn't allow DTS... I mean the license fee for a consumer is $20 for a device and technically it's transferable though the only things that allow for transfer are Windows 10/11 & Xbox one through Xbox Series s/x.

So LG should just let us pay for the license if we want to use it. It should be sold in app form for $20.

I got tired of it and on PC where I had major audio issues I ended up installing virtual audio cable then used a USB 3 to HDMI 2 converter to make my PC think the USB port was essentially an audio output device and then I sent that audio to my receiver and used a separate HDMI 2.1 cable to send video to my TV.

From there I just used virtual audio cable to delay the sound slightly so it matched up with the TV and finally I not only had properly working PC audio back but I also had every audio format a modern receiver supports.

You can also do it by using HDMI from the GPU to send video to the TV and then displayport to HDMI output from the GPU to send audio to the receiver. The only issue there is how much delay the tv adds because the receiver adds less so audio will be ahead of picture. I was thankfully able to use my receivers sound delay setting to fix it but only because I got lucky. I had to max the setting out which is why I went the virtual audio cable route. With that you have unlimited control over the audio delay.

Me too. I don't know why LG doesn't allow DTS... I mean the license fee for a consumer is $20 for a device
That's just for the user , the license fee for a manufacturer , especially a large manufacturer like LG , runs into millions.
The fact that DTS want to charge the end user in addition to this is most likely one of the main sticking points in license fee negotiations between TV/AV manufacturers ( its not just LG ) and DTS.

No streaming service supports DTS , more and more devices are dropping DTS support , I think they are being too greedy , and DTS will wipe themselves out if they keep going on this path

That's just for the user , the license fee for a manufacturer , especially a large manufacturer like LG , runs into millions.
The fact that DTS want to charge the end user in addition to this is most likely one of the main sticking points in license fee negotiations between TV/AV manufacturers ( its not just LG ) and DTS.

No streaming service supports DTS , more and more devices are dropping DTS support , I think they are being too greedy , and DTS will wipe themselves out if they keep going on this path
As I understood it you only need a license to decode DTS, not to simply pass it though untouched which is why all the legitimate media players don't need one. More likely LG didn't want to allow any sort of codec it couldn't actually play so punters wouldn't moan when no sound came out of their TV.

You are limited with passthrough with the supported formats of the TV.
Recently dts is no longer supported as already mentioned.

Using a Shield->tv->sound will work fine and use the (e)arc to passthrough sound (when enabled in settings).
DTS in no longer the main used sound format (as it was with dvd) and you can probably convert it easily via your mediaplayer.
Fe, On the Shield you can select to process surround sound on the device and present it to the soundbar in another format. Using Kodi you can probably do that on a per-codec basis.

A downside could be synchronization (lipsync).
My brother purchased a hardware hdmi converter to split audio/video to overcome such issues with his Sonos setup.
I just upgraded to a receiver that supports the new fancy hdmi 2.1 formats but in your case such converters could be the solution as not to replace your soundbar/receiver.
Expensive -> "Arcana"
Affordable -> "Feintech"

Yes it's millions because they need a license for every device so if they don't want to pay themselves then let the consumer pay the smaller fee.

Dolby charges the same price to end users for a license to use Atmos. $20. The difference is LG also sells an "Atmos" soundbar so they pay the fee which is roughly $12 per TV because they get volume discounts. Streaming services don't generally support DTS (HD) or DTS:X because they know anyone with the equipment will have compatibility with Dolby Digital & Atmos. DTS also uses more bandwidth because there is less compression.

So it's not them being greedy it's just a matter of why support both when we know everyone will have Dolby because it's name has way more recognition among the average consumer who doesn't go very deep into this stuff beyond a TV from Walmart or Costco and maybe a soundbar.

I don't even care about DTS it's just the fact that we have no options when using eArc and receivers still use broken "HDMI 2.1" chipset that can't handle 4k120 even if sound united claims they fixed it... They haven't.

That's the main reason the PlayStation 5 uses way less bandwidth than a PC or Xbox. It won't make a receiver freak out at 4k120. That said the Xbox uses the same bandwidth as the LG C & G series which leaves plenty of headspace for HDMI 2.1's supposed 48Gbps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom