Lg C1 and LGSP9YA not in sync

Jay1318

Novice Member
Brand new 65" C1 and LGSP9YA soundbar. All hooked up with good cables, etc., but the sound is not in sync. I've searched and searched and it seems this is simply "just a problem" that doesn't really have a fix. If I plug my cable box (or xbox) directly into the soundbar, there's no lag. But I shouldn't have to do that.

There's a setting on the TV to match sound and picture, but the slider goes in the WRONG direction! Seriously?! If I could decrease the number, all would be fine.

And of course (like a big dummy), I tossed out the box for the soundbar, otherwise i'd return it.

I really don't want to disable all the bells and whistles of the soundbar, because, I spent $700 to HAVE all those bells and whistles.

It seems others have had this issue. ust don't understand how it's even an issue at all. Is there really no way to fix this?

next010

Distinguished Member
Rtings noted in their review that latency is noticeably higher via ARC than it is via optical or HDMI in.

You could try connecting via optical from TV to bar though you will be limited to Dolby 5.1 and PCM 2.0.

For eARC you want
Digital sound output = pass-through
eARC = enabled
HDMI input format = bitstream

PCM is usually the lowest latency when it comes to audio decoding, on Xbox try uncompressed PCM 5.1 output and see how that fairs if it remains in sync.

If audio is out of sync even with PCM 2.0 then I would contact LG directly

You could also check and see if the firmware of the SP9YA is up to date on the off chance LG lowered the latency of the ARC input. Other regions beyond NA have gotten firmware update to SP9YA variants.

Jay1318

Novice Member
Thank you so much for the feedback. I've played around with quite a bit to day, including your suggestions. Still lag.

Is the soundbar the main culprit in all of this? Would getting a soundbar with a better rating for latency be the best solution?

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you so much for the feedback. I've played around with quite a bit to day, including your suggestions. Still lag.

Is the soundbar the main culprit in all of this? Would getting a soundbar with a better rating for latency be the best solution?
Possibly but cant say with absolute certainty.

One last option before getting a new soundbar is the Sharc an eARC bridge for old sound systems with HDMI inputs.

Using the Sharc you are basically replacing the ARC/eARC function of the soundbar, it connects to your TV and the Sharc passes the audio to the direct HDMI input of the soundbar. It's not a cheap device but cheaper than a new high end soundbar and the seller offers a 15 day return window should it not make any difference.

The Sharc was also designed with LG's TV's as they were one of the first to implement eARC and it has some delays controls on the device.

nicholb

Standard Member
I've seen the same problem including with the built in apps. I've tried about any combo of settings and the audio is still delayed when the signal goes through the TV. The only fix I've found is to connect the external source to the soundbar instead of the TV. I think the problem lies in the TV since it does it with the built in apps too. You would think LG would make sure two of their products that are supposed to be used together actually work together.

The main drawback of that setup is the dance the TV and Soundbar do when turning on of switching inputs multiple times as the TV switches the soundbar to eARC, TV sees no signal and switches to HDMI1, soundbar switches back to HDMI, TV switches to HDMI2, repeat. About 30% of the time it lands on the wrong combo of input settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom