LG C1 (48C14LB) and Sonos Arc - volume control issues

itsbruce

Novice Member
Recently bought both an LG OLED48C14LB and a Sonos Arc. Mostly this seems to be working well: eArc and SIMPLINK enabled, full surround sound is working and the remote control changes the sound volume in the Arc without me having had to set up any Universal Remote function.

BUT

With the Arc as the sound output, I don't see the vertical bar that shows the current volume level and gives a visual of how the volume is changing as you change it. If I disconnect the Arc, I get that handy visual aid back for any other sound device (TV Speakers, wireless speakers etc). When the Arc is connected and I use the magic remote to change volume, all that shows up on the screen is a plus sign, a minus sign and a sound icon, but no sound level is shown. It suggests to me that for some reason the Arc isn't telling the TV the sound level, or the TV is failing to fetch/understand that information.

Anybody else seen this or have an idea what could be done to fix it?

Yes, the Arc is connected to the ARC/eARC HDMI port.

itsbruce

Novice Member
Yes. Bought an ARC today and noticed the same. Wife is not happy that she can't see the numbers anymore,!
I asked this same question on the Sonos forum and was told that LG WebOS has this problem with all CEC devices, that it's a flaw/limitation in WebOS.

I can't verify that.

blunden

Standard Member
I asked this same question on the Sonos forum and was told that LG WebOS has this problem with all CEC devices, that it's a flaw/limitation in WebOS.

I can't verify that.
It's pretty common on many TV OS:es, I think. It was the same with my old Panasonic as well. The reason is likely because the CEC volume commands are presumably relative (i.e. just Volume Up and Volume Down), meaning that the TV has no way of knowing what number to show.

itsbruce

Novice Member
It's pretty common on many TV OS:es, I think. It was the same with my old Panasonic as well. The reason is likely because the CEC volume commands are presumably relative (i.e. just Volume Up and Volume Down), meaning that the TV has no way of knowing what number to show.
It's ridiculous. What kind of a standard is HDMI-CEC if the TV can tell what volume my bluetooth headset has but not the volume of a connected eARC device? If it's not a failing of the standard, no excuse for the TV OS.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom