LG C1 48" Blue - Pink Tint

theroey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased an LG C1 48" TV over the weekend as I've had my heart set on it for nearly 6 months now. It's probably had around 30 hours of usage since Saturday but as soon as I went through the set-up process, I went onto Google to check the white screen uniformity and I instantly noticed blue tints on the left and right side of the screen. It looks more white in the middle but on photo's it appears more pinkish. I then proceeded to do greyscale / white /colour screen tests.

From what I've read over the last couple of days this seems to be quite common. If I'm honest I'd say it's difficult to spot in day-to-day content. At a push I would say maybe on Sky Sports News where the scores appear, left side more blueish than center. I've included some photos to show you what I mean, and I'm really interested to see if I need to replace the TV or not. I can't be doing with the hassle it will more than likely involve but at the same time, I will try to swap it if I need to. Very conscious of this 'panel lottery' but the tint has really taken the enjoyment out of the TV so far.

Other info:
Most photos taken on Eco mode with Energy Saving turned off (Hate filmaker mode so still trying to find settings I like). Manufactured Jan 22. Running latest software version.

If it does need to be replaced, would I be better going back to the retailer or LG directly? When I registered the TV with LG I did take our extra warranty.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Cheers.

Roey

Attachments

• 20220208_184844.jpg
    20220208_184844.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 20220209_165657.jpg
    20220209_165657.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 752
  • 20220209_165641.jpg
    20220209_165641.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 555
  • 20220209_165624.jpg
    20220209_165624.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 20220209_165552.jpg
    20220209_165552.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 754
  • 20220209_165121.jpg
    20220209_165121.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 832
  • 20220208_205425.jpg
    20220208_205425.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 929
  • 20220208_205307.jpg
    20220208_205307.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 903
  • 20220208_190743.jpg
    20220208_190743.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 887
  • 20220208_185406.jpg
    20220208_185406.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 733
  • 20220208_185317.jpg
    20220208_185317.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 766
  • 20220208_185258.jpg
    20220208_185258.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 20220208_185202.jpg
    20220208_185202.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 649
  • 20220208_185152.jpg
    20220208_185152.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 20220208_185107.jpg
    20220208_185107.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 611
I have seen this issue recently. I did a quick search on the Internet and there were complaints about this issue. Unfortunately this is not a common problem with any of the other new TVs such as Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc. The cause of this color shift is the application of a filter on the panel to make the whites look white. The filter is a blue filter that was applied too strongly, which shifted the entire color balance of the panel. There are two options, you can either return the TV and get a replacement, or if you are willing to live with a bit of yellow tint, you can fix it yourself. The latter is not worth a try, because you will spend more time fixing the TV than you will spend returning it and picking up a new one.
Thanks for your response. I don't think it's something I can accept so I'll make a call tomorrow to discuss a replacement. Not sure if to speak to the retailer or LG directly. However, at this stage, the chances of me getting a better panel are probably slim. It really has ruined the experience of buying a new TV.

LG have confirmed it's a fault. I'm replacing it with the retailer this weekend. 🤞 For a better panel.

LG have confirmed it's a fault. I'm replacing it with the retailer this weekend. 🤞 For a better panel.
From what I’ve seen recently this is just the new layout of the AR filter on the 48/55” lg oleds, both the C1 and G1 atleast. If you want a tv without this tint layout you will need to buy a different brand oled unfortunately they all have there own tint issues.
Here are some recent pictures of current lg screens, this pattern I have observed from September builds onward.
276B9C06-1938-4D76-8E4B-70009F0C6906.jpeg

C0458DFE-0193-4F22-AF7A-F7C69809F6E4.jpeg
9D95C74B-219E-42B4-AC8D-6C1172AAD7F1.jpeg

Attachments

• 48DAB13D-087A-48EB-BBC0-B5398351C11B.jpeg
    48DAB13D-087A-48EB-BBC0-B5398351C11B.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,289
Last edited:
From what I’ve seen recently this is just the new layout of the AR filter on the 48/55” lg oleds, both the C1 and G1 atleast. If you want a tv without this tint layout you will need to buy a different brand oled unfortunately they all have there own tint issues.
I don't mind a tint but it's the variation of the tint, going from blue to pink and back to blue. LG confirmed it's a fault, so it must be. They had me on a video call so they could see for themselves. I'm collecting the replacement tomorrow but won't have time until Friday to set it up so I'll find out then. 👍

I don't mind a tint but it's the variation of the tint, going from blue to pink and back to blue. LG confirmed it's a fault, so it must be. They had me on a video call so they could see for themselves. I'm collecting the replacement tomorrow but won't have time until Friday to set it up so I'll find out then. 👍
Be interested to see if it’s any different, there is a lot of variation in how strong it is.
But all the recent ones I’ve seen do have it.
Hope your new one fares better

Be interested to see if it’s any different, there is a lot of variation in how strong it is.
But all the recent ones I’ve seen do have it.
Hope your new one fares better
Yeah, I'm really hoping the next panel will be better. There was no hesitation from LG though, the lady on the phone pretty much confirmed it right away. I'll post back after its set up and let you know. Cheers. 👍

Yeah, I'm really hoping the next panel will be better. There was no hesitation from LG though, the lady on the phone pretty much confirmed it right away. I'll post back after its set up and let you know. Cheers. 👍
What’s LG doing here, exchanging the TV or are they coming out to replace the panel only? From your original post it sounds like you are well within your return window with the retailer.

What’s LG doing here, exchanging the TV or are they coming out to replace the panel only? From your original post it sounds like you are well within your return window with the retailer.
It's being replaced with the retailer. Collecting it this evening. LG did offer a repair but said I was well within my 30 days to get a brand new replacement directly from the retailer, which is what I was loking to do anyway.

Here are some recent pictures of current lg screens, this pattern I have observed from September builds onward.
View attachment 1653878
View attachment 1653880View attachment 1653881
For some reason, I didn't see the above attatchments last night. It definitely seems to be a common issue then by the looks of it. I'm just hoping the next tint is less harsh than my first one.

It's being replaced with the retailer. Collecting it this evening. LG did offer a repair but said I was well within my 30 days to get a brand new replacement directly from the retailer, which is what I was loking to do anyway.
That’s good, retailer replacing as they should. Which retailer is that if you don’t mind me asking?

This is my 65 G1 for reference.

427265BC-9E93-42E4-9B48-23D3CBB0AA2F.jpeg

That’s good, retailer replacing as they should. Which retailer is that if you don’t mind me asking?

This is my 65 G1 for reference.

View attachment 1654211
Don't mind at all, it's Argos, mate. Wow, that's pretty much identical to mine. Are you replacing it? Or just learning to live with it to avoid the dreaded panel lottery, ha?

Don't mind at all, it's Argos, mate. Wow, that's pretty much identical to mine. Are you replacing it? Or just learning to live with it to avoid the dreaded panel lottery, ha?
I don’t see any issues in real content so I wouldn’t change it for that. The photo makes it looks worse than what I see in person, all I really notice on that Google screen is that the left side has a light green/blue hue to it.

It’s vertical banding that I really can’t stand. This one seems to handle the Marco Polo and Arrival torture test scenes fine which I am happy with.

I might have another issue that I am looking into but I want to do some further testing just in case it’s a cabling issue.

I don’t see any issues in real content so I wouldn’t change it for that. The photo makes it looks worse than what I see in person, all I really notice on that Google screen is that the left side has a light green/blue hue to it.

It’s vertical banding that I really can’t stand. This one seems to handle the Marco Polo and Arrival torture test scenes fine which I am happy with.

I might have another issue that I am looking into but I want to do some further testing just in case it’s a cabling issue.
Yeah, that's fair enough. If it doesn't affect real content then I agree it's not an issue. However, I was seeing the tint issue on a few channels, most notably Sky Sports News. Agreed, vertical banding is a big no no and tbh this panel didn't really suffer from it. I've just got a feeling I'll end up with another panel that's pretty much identical in terms of tinting.

Yeah, that's fair enough. If it doesn't affect real content then I agree it's not an issue. However, I was seeing the tint issue on a few channels, most notably Sky Sports News. Agreed, vertical banding is a big no no and tbh this panel didn't really suffer from it. I've just got a feeling I'll end up with another panel that's pretty much identical in terms of tinting.
It’s unlikely it’ll be identical it’ll most likely be in the same places but either better or worse. I’ve seen some in store that are light enough that you can’t really see it.
There is some reason lg have switched to this type of AR filter, the newer screens don’t seem to suffer from grid like the 2021 screens so it’s possible that’s the reason

It’s unlikely it’ll be identical it’ll most likely be in the same places but either better or worse. I’ve seen some in store that are light enough that you can’t really see it.
There is some reason lg have switched to this type of AR filter, the newer screens don’t seem to suffer from grid like the 2021 screens so it’s possible that’s the reason
I was going to go to the local Curry's to take a look at their screens to see if I could see any tinting issues. Yeah, hopefully it's just better than what I have now and I'll accept it. Just did a search for the grid issue and yeah, I'd take the tinting over that.

Heres a picture of mine on chrome the red looks white in person and the edges go slightly darker
2121BCB8-E8BA-457F-9451-779AA3E9988A.jpeg

Had time to set TV up this evening. Similar to the first one. I'd say the left side is just about the same but the right side is an improvement. Definitely looks more white and uniform in person, with a hint of blue on the left. Normal content looks fine. I noticed the TV was squarer this time too as in the previous screen was slightly curved. For the effort involved I can't be bothered to try and go for another replacement so I'm going to keep it and start enjoying the TV.
20220217_173224.jpg

Had time to set TV up this evening. Similar to the first one. I'd say the left side is just about the same but the right side is an improvement. Definitely looks more white and uniform in person, with a hint of blue on the left. Normal content looks fine. I noticed the TV was squarer this time too as in the previous screen was slightly curved. For the effort involved I can't be bothered to try and go for another replacement so I'm going to keep it and start enjoying the TV. View attachment 1655598
Yeah, it seems they all look fairly similar. I kind of see the same on the Google white screen too. Having said that I have watched a few shows on Sky recently, like An Idiot Abroad with snow scenes, and didn’t notice any issues with that. I do spot the blue on one side occasionally but it’s usually on specific TV adverts.

Gaming looks phenomenal though. Been playing Uncharted at 120fps recently on PS5, dabbled in CP2077 recently on the Series X too.

I see you have a Series X there, I wonder if you would mind checking something for me.

I suspect I may have an issue with my TV, but I can’t be certain. I first spotted a weird red/green outline on spaceships in a 4K Blu-ray film which has been bugging me, and I’m starting to think it’s present as an outline on most white objects or text.

If you zoom into this photo you should see a green/red outline around the letters, this is like the effect I originally spotted in the film. You will recognise this photo as the Invite friend button on the Xbox Series X. I took this photo as I couldn’t get the effect to show properly on the spaceship scene when I tried to snap a photo of what I was seeing. Obviously it’s not normal to analyse text like this so closely, but I found it easier to capture on camera this way.

F2D6A01E-EFA5-41BD-AD64-24DE9CE310D5.jpeg

Would you mind taking a look at text like this on your Xbox and let let me know if you see a similar effect? It may very well be completely normal, so if you do see it I wouldn’t worry. I’m more concerned if you tell me you don’t see it, then I might need to look into a replacement myself.

Yeah, it seems they all look fairly similar. I kind of see the same on the Google white screen too. Having said that I have watched a few shows on Sky recently, like An Idiot Abroad with snow scenes, and didn’t notice any issues with that. I do spot the blue on one side occasionally but it’s usually on specific TV adverts.

Gaming looks phenomenal though. Been playing Uncharted at 120fps recently on PS5, dabbled in CP2077 recently on the Series X too.

I see you have a Series X there, I wonder if you would mind checking something for me.

I suspect I may have an issue with my TV, but I can’t be certain. I first spotted a weird red/green outline on spaceships in a 4K Blu-ray film which has been bugging me, and I’m starting to think it’s present as an outline on most white objects or text.

If you zoom into this photo you should see a green/red outline around the letters, this is like the effect I originally spotted in the film. You will recognise this photo as the Invite friend button on the Xbox Series X. I took this photo as I couldn’t get the effect to show properly on the spaceship scene when I tried to snap a photo of what I was seeing. Obviously it’s not normal to analyse text like this so closely, but I found it easier to capture on camera this way.

View attachment 1655691

Would you mind taking a look at text like this on your Xbox and let let me know if you see a similar effect? It may very well be completely normal, so if you do see it I wouldn’t worry. I’m more concerned if you tell me you don’t see it, then I might need to look into a replacement myself.
Not at home currently but will be later so I'll have a look for you and let you know. 👍

Took a couple of photos of the invite/join text. I have my sharpness setting set to 20 as it just looks blurry to me on 0. What picture settings are you using for the Xbox? Mine just looks a bit dull when I use Vincent Teoh's. I just think I'm used to a cooler colour temp than warm. The colour tint is starting to annoy me again but I think I'll open a can a worms if I go for a third panel.

Attachments

• 20220218_154908.jpg
    20220218_154908.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 866
  • 20220218_134434.jpg
    20220218_134434.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 697
Had time to set TV up this evening. Similar to the first one. I'd say the left side is just about the same but the right side is an improvement. Definitely looks more white and uniform in person, with a hint of blue on the left. Normal content looks fine. I noticed the TV was squarer this time too as in the previous screen was slightly curved. For the effort involved I can't be bothered to try and go for another replacement so I'm going to keep it and start enjoying the TV. View attachment 1655598
Yeah it seems they are all like this now whatever new AR filter LG use for normal content it shouldn’t be an issue enjoy the tv :)

Took a couple of photos of the invite/join text. I have my sharpness setting set to 20 as it just looks blurry to me on 0. What picture settings are you using for the Xbox? Mine just looks a bit dull when I use Vincent Teoh's. I just think I'm used to a cooler colour temp than warm. The colour tint is starting to annoy me again but I think I'll open a can a worms if I go for a third panel.
Thanks for that. It does seem I have an issue then as I feared.

Mine - colour outline issue
2DC52AF1-2A88-4CF2-AB05-E1F962E6A952.jpeg

Yours - seems fine
7356891D-4FEB-4A57-BFAB-5D7254559160.jpeg

Will try switching HDMI cables though before I chase this up.

Mine is exactly the same as this

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom