LG BX vs CX vs Sony A8BU 55"?

brokenamp

Costco have the BX for £950. I can get the CX or Sony for about £250 more from Richer Sounds. Worth paying the extra?

It'd be for watching TV series and films (mostly Netflix, Iplayer and Now TV) in a room where we can draw the blinds, but some TV show watching wouldn't be that dark. It's to replace a 10yo Sony Bravia screen, so I'm inclined to get the BX on the basis that this would still be a big improvement - but anyone want to convince me it's worth paying the extra? :)

brokenamp

Ended up paying the extra for the CX - looking at videos of them side-by-side, I decided I did want the extra brightness (I don't change TVs often, so the extra-per-year isn't bad). Decided on the CX over the Sony as my partner might be getting a PS5...

tvdavid

hope you like it and let us know

faidtoblack

I noticed a seller called Simply Electricals is listed on HotdealsUK as having 10% off the Sony today. It might be worth seeing if RS will beat that price? If so then the Sony at £1130 from RS seems pretty good (and is pretty close to the Costco instore BF price which I think was £1079). Having said that, the 55BX for £940 at RS does seem a very tempting deal (I am assuming they will beat the C&M price by £10). You would get the earbuds which I am guessing you could sell for £40 on ebay or keep. Overall there is not much difference between any of the OLEDs although the Sony and the CX are (slightly) 'better' than the Bx. The BX won't be as bright as the CX and has a different processor though but I honestly can't say whether you would notice that unless the sets were all side by side.

Edit: didn't read your above post regarding going for the CX. Worth paying extra for. Enjoy!

brokenamp

Thanks! Actually saw the Sony price reduction, and found some more images of them side-by-side, then flip-flopped and changed my order to the Sony - will be getting it for £1150 (with a couple of cables thrown in). Found a video of the two side-by-side and the Sony image processing seems a touch better than the CX (as the AVForums review seems to say), and 50 quid is 50 quid :)

They all look like nice screens - if I hadn't had months of not spending on going out, I'd probably have gone for the BX! Sure I will enjoy it!

pastrybloke19

Thanks! Actually saw the Sony price reduction, and found some more images of them side-by-side, then flip-flopped and changed my order to the Sony - will be getting it for £1150 (with a couple of cables thrown in). Found a video of the two side-by-side and the Sony image processing seems a touch better than the CX (as the AVForums review seems to say), and 50 quid is 50 quid :)

They all look like nice screens - if I hadn't had months of not spending on going out, I'd probably have gone for the BX! Sure I will enjoy it!
I think you would be very happy with either the CX or A8: I prefer Sony for the motion side and like the brand, but I know there is very little in them. My previous TV was a old Sony Bravia too; it’s still going strong but the different in picture quality is insane.

Check out the A8 owners forum if you need any specific advice: otherwise enjoy!

brokenamp

Thanks - I'm looking forward to it - hopefully it lasts as long as my last Bravia! Wonder if in 10yrs I'll be moving this to the bedroom and replacing it with a 90"...

Good service from Richer Sounds, too - got an unexpected phone call from them to process the change/price match, and it turned out they were offering an additional £20 off (to make the TV £1130, as faidtoblack said, including two HDMI cables) :)

brokenamp

Arrived now :) Picture looks great. Less sure about motion, but still need to play with the settings.

The tiny bezels make it look smaller, too. Part of men's wondering if I'd have space for 65" :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom