LG BX 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

True, it's a pity, but there must be a reason related to burn-in issues... And on the other side I think there have been nice improvements, in terms of OS, HDMI 2.1, picture processing, etc.
I think initially B7 and C7 were interchangable and now they're a product class differentiator.

The B9 and C9 are much closer than the BX and CX.

Tbh all the BX has going for it is the HDMI 2.1 features a small minority of people will have any use for at least for the next couple of years.

It's let down by its lack of brightness at a time when OLED brightness is going through its own evolution. There are 2020 models and 2021 models already significantly brighter, for around the same money and by the time the whole 2021 range comes out, the BX will literally be the black sheep of the OLED family.

Much I’ve read on this forum about OLED said it didn’t need to be brighter?

Much I’ve read on this forum about OLED said it didn’t need to be brighter?
If I want to scorch my eyes out I'll stare at the sun for a few minutes 😅

Seriously though, I have a C9 and CX and find them plenty bright enough. Some of the HDR images it can produce are ridiculously good, whether it be black level or brightness!

If I want to scorch my eyes out I'll stare at the sun for a few minutes 😅

Seriously though, I have a C9 and CX and find them plenty bright enough. Some of the HDR images it can produce are ridiculously good, whether it be black level or brightness!
I think it's less about the peak brightness. The full field brightness on an oled can be pretty bad in certain circumstances

I think it's less about the peak brightness. The full field brightness on an oled can be pretty bad in certain circumstances
Well I've never come across those circumstances 🤷

Agreed.

I watched Monster Hunter earlier (which I regret) and there are several scenes that require HDR across the whole display. No issues at all.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep saying it - OLED and QLED each have their advantages and disadvantages, and that’s why I have a QLED in my living room and an OLED in my cinema room

The time I notice it most is in games where you have control of the camera.

Any bright light in the scene gets super dim the more sky visible.

Same with film, a pan to dark and light has a crazy dimming effect.

Also another interesting bit. If you put a DV Netflix program on and pan through it right at the start of the film you can see how much brighter the scene should be in the small panning window, then it loads to the full screen and it's about as bright as SDR content in brighter scenes.

I'm not saying oled is bad, I love mine but this could benefit with some definite improvement

The time I notice it most is in games where you have control of the camera.

Any bright light in the scene gets super dim the more sky visible.

Same with film, a pan to dark and light has a crazy dimming effect.

Also another interesting bit. If you put a DV Netflix program on and pan through it right at the start of the film you can see how much brighter the scene should be in the small panning window, then it loads to the full screen and it's about as bright as SDR content in brighter scenes.

I'm not saying oled is bad, I love mine but this could benefit with some definite improvement

Fair point - LG has a couple of brightness limiters (I forget their names) which I’ve turned off in the service menu

You can do that?
You can only disable the ABL for static content.

Not for full field brightness. An Oled CX can do 850nits 10% and 150nits at 100%. It draws too much power and heat otherwise

Very fair review.
I bought one just for my ps5 and it's fantastic.
I watched the Netflix doc 'siffredi late night' and the jaggies were awful. Compared to the C8 I have downstairs it looked very low def.
But for a grand it's fab and it ticks pretty much all the boxes imo.
One quirk I've noticed is that for some reason when you press the green button repeatedly to bring up the freesync info it's always showing 59 or 119, not the full 60 /120 so I've no idea what is going on there.
Might be worth a few owners chipping in with some info.
I just want to add that I initially bought the Sony x90h but I sent it back because it was awful, this is a far superior TV imo, especially for gaming.

My C8 has a better pic on Netflix, which is probably because it's got around 250 extra nits, however I think the lower brightness will help mitigate any potential worries regarding IR and screen burn when gaming.

Not for full field brightness. An Oled CX can do 850nits 10% and 150nits at 100%. It draws too much power and heat otherwise
Vincent said the cx was around 650 nits and that's what I've read elsewhere too.

Vincent said the cx was around 650 nits and that's what I've read elsewhere too.
Rtings have it at 820nits.

But my points more around the full field

Great TV, really pleased with my purchase of this just before Christmas.

Two dislikes:
1) No 4OD app
2) The EPG guide for freesat is appallingly slow

Aw. I got genuinely excited for a second there. The abl stuff was what put me off buying oled the last time a reasonably priced one caught my eye. Ah well

Rtings have it at 820nits.

But my points more around the full field
R-tings don't seem to have as much credibility as avf or HDTV test.

R-tings don't seem to have as much credibility as avf or HDTV test.
Okay. 650nits or 850nits. Every review and website agrees that it's 150ish nits at high white average levels which isn't very good at all. This was the point in making, I really want to see improvements in this.

If peak brightness were THE benchmark, only Samsung Q90/95s would be purchased, and nobody would be happy with their C9/CX, A8 or HZ1000, which - as all reviews around the world conclude - seem to deliver better overall picture quality than QLEDs. I can't judge by myself, though, since I'm still looking for the "best" TV to replace our 10 yo LG LCD... With a budget, of course.
If peak brightness were THE benchmark, only Samsung Q90/95s would be purchased, and nobody would be happy with their C9/CX, A8 or HZ1000, which - as all reviews around the world conclude - seem to deliver better overall picture quality than QLEDs. I can't judge by myself, though, since I'm still looking for the "best" TV to replace our 10 yo LG LCD... With a budget, of course.
A used dx902 if on a budget. In my view it can still mess with the best...its got the last of the panny plasma best blacks and the brightness of a torch....

lg oled55bx6lb 55 inch oled 4k ultra hd, hdr, smart tv
Is it ok to leave my tv on standby after watching TV
Lol this is considered good practice with oleds as the pixels will refresh and prevent burn in.

Phil can you get one of the 2021 models reviewed quickly like - C1 or G1 which are out now in the UK or the Samsung Mini LEDs sets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom