LG BX 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m confused why are you reviewing last years 2020 model again or am I missing something?

@Steve Burling yes I was just about to post that to. The C1 models are showing on some retailers websites for availability in a month...

I’m confused why are you reviewing last years 2020 model again or am I missing something?
We hadn't reviewed the BX and it is now available for under a grand and has almost everything most users will need, so it's a short review to highlight a model that has perhaps been forgotten about. We are yet to receive the 2021 models and at launch, they are going to be significantly more expensive.

Thanks for the review Phil, apart from the black flicker / noise issue with below par content I'm incredibly pleased with the TV as a whole... well apart from the so called Magic Remote which is doing my head in at the moment. A recent firmware update means my Harmony system (which used to work flawlessly with the BX) is now a bit iffy.

We hadn't reviewed the BX and it is now available for under a grand and has almost everything most users will need, so it's a short review to highlight a model that has perhaps been forgotten about. We are yet to receive the 2021 models and at launch, they are going to be significantly more expensive.

Thanks, Phil, I am half tempted as would like to replace a 50" GT50 plasma with a 55" BX or CX and yes they are a good price now with around £150 difference in price between them. Interestingly the 48" versions seem to be a better price than the launch price last time. Still as much as a 55" but ok if you can't fit or want a biiig monitor :)

I don't really need to swap do I :suicide:

Thanks for the review Phil, apart from the black flicker / noise issue with below par content I'm incredibly pleased with the TV as a whole... well apart from the so called Magic Remote which is doing my head in at the moment. A recent firmware update means my Harmony system (which used to work flawlessly with the BX) is now a bit iffy.
I agree, I've noticed this flicker (or would you call it even a bit of flashing?) on Apple TV app last night, watching "Servant". I've come to the BX, after I tried the CX/ GX, which gave me real problems with picture quality, connected to Sky Q (micro stutter on certain content, via trumotion, which really stuffed up the motion interpolation support for the set, for my specific needs). The BX operates completely differently for me, in that specific respect, hence why I still have it in my lounge now. @Phil Hinton do you think that LG will look to try and fix or minimise this flicker/ flashing effect on near black content, in any future firmware upgrade/ fix, if possible?

The BX, was being sold by Costco around a couple of weeks ago, for £911 inc VAT and the 5 year warranty!!

The BX, was being sold by Costco around a couple of weeks ago, for £911 inc VAT and the 5 year warranty!!
New firmware is being rolled out which allows fine tuning of dark areas but appears to be specifically for VRR... don't know if we'll have access for standard content. I'll be looking later.

[EDIT] quoted wrong post, but you get the general idea.

Does it have 48gbps ports? I thought they were 40 like the CX?

Hi thanks for this review! Definitely a very good "entry level" OLED. And it appears that the B1 will not bring critical improvements. This was my wife's favourite model when we last could visit an AV store together.
The 65" model is now between 1,400 & 1,500€ in Belgium. Since the price of the CX has now oddly risen again over the 2,000€ bar, the only OLED alternative under that bar would be a Philips 65OLED805 at 1,999€ (1,699€ after cashback) (there may be better deals at online stores, but I prefer buying from an established physical store...).
Knowing the Philips doesn't have any HDMI 2.1 features but ALLM (we're not gamers right now, but I cannot exclude my preteen son wanting a PS5 or an XBox in a couple of years...), nor Dolby Vision IQ, but is arguably brighter and has a better sound system, do you guys think the price gap is justified for my fairly bright living room?
An alternative would be to wait for 2021 models like G1 or Pana JZ1500 deals during Black Friday or so, but I don't think they'll ever go under the 2,000€ bar...

The Rtings review seems to suggest otherwise that they're 40gbps.
I checked them with a Murideo Seven G which gives a full in-depth EDID readout showing they are 48Gbps. (FRL: 12Gbps @ 4 Lanes). I can't speak for Rtings and how they got their results.

I checked them with a Murideo Seven G which gives a full in-depth EDID readout showing they are 48Gbps. (FRL: 12Gbps @ 4 Lanes). I can't speak for Rtings and how they got their results.

Seems strange they borked the CX model. What did that show on the test?

Seems strange they borked the CX model. What did that show on the test?
40Gbps. This is going to be standard across all OLED TVs from LG going forward, the BX was an exception to that and I presume because it was using a different board with only two HDMI 2.1 ports.

@Phil Hinton
What are your thoughts about most OLED panels not being bright enough in nits to be able to display HDR correctly. This was based on the Vincent Teoh video, which made sense to me as content that is mastered higher than the peak brightness of most panels out there.

Hmm peak brightness is lower then what i had on B6 and B7 if i remember well.
No go in 2020/21

Hmm peak brightness is lower then what i had on B6 and B7 if i remember well.
No go in 2020/21
If peak brightness were THE benchmark, only Samsung Q90/95s would be purchased, and nobody would be happy with their C9/CX, A8 or HZ1000, which - as all reviews around the world conclude - seem to deliver better overall picture quality than QLEDs. I can't judge by myself, though, since I'm still looking for the "best" TV to replace our 10 yo LG LCD... With a budget, of course.

If peak brightness were THE benchmark, only Samsung Q90/95s would be purchased, and nobody would be happy with their C9/CX, A8 or HZ1000, which - as all reviews around the world conclude - seem to deliver better overall picture quality than QLEDs. I can't judge by myself, though, since I'm still looking for the "best" TV to replace our 10 yo LG LCD... With a budget, of course.
I get your point but you'd expect a peak brightness increase Vs a 3 year old model in the same class of product. BX Vs B7.

Never had a problem with the brightness on my set, my mate has the CX and i cant tell the difference between the two, youd have to see them side by side i guess, im more than happy with my BX ticks all the boxes for me.

I get your point but you'd expect a peak brightness increase Vs a 3 year old model in the same class of product. BX Vs B7.
True, it's a pity, but there must be a reason related to burn-in issues... And on the other side I think there have been nice improvements, in terms of OS, HDMI 2.1, picture processing, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom