LG BH9540TW Power Consumption

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Markywebby, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Markywebby

Markywebby
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm hoping someone can help because I'm useless when it comes to electronics. I have set up the LG BH9540TW using HDMI ARC to my Smart TV with both my SKY HD box and PS4 connected to the Receiver. If I want to watch Sky through the TV speakers (which I think most of the time will happen), I will obviously need to switch the receiver/Blu Ray player on too. Will this consume a lot of power and cost me a fortune. I think the player says 52 watts on the back. It would save the hassle of constantly switching the HDMI lead from the receiver to the TV for the Sky box but I don't really understand wattage and power consumption.

If anyone could advise, I'll be very grateful. The surround system itself is fantastic.

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,790
    You could connect your SKY box directly to the tv via HDMI (so you can use the Tv speakers),
    then use the ARC output of the TV to feed audio to the LG system when you want to use that.

3. Markywebby

Markywebby
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ok. That would be good. I assume that if I wanted a 5.1 film, then I'd have to plug directly in for this?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    If it uses 52W then it would need to be on for nearly 20 hours to use 1kW which is about 15p so not going to cost a fortune with it on. Why not use it for all viewing since it will be better sound than the TV speakers and not really going to cost you any more in terms of money.
    For the ARC thing to work you would need to check if your TV will pass a 5.1 signal from a HDMI input to the ARC output. Most do not so you would be limited to stereo sound. If the system has an optical input then you could connect to TV via HDMI and then optical from sky to your sound system.

5. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,790
  6. Markywebby

Markywebby
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the 52W just the receiver when switched on, but when you use the speakers, that uses more power. Maybe I've got that confused

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    A few watts of power is more than enough for a reasonable volume so not going to use a lot more even when playing.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Avoid constant plugging/unplugging of HDMI cables - HDMI sockets can fail and any savings you are chasing will be very quickly dwarfed by repair costs.

If you are plugging/unplugging cables ensure all devices are powered Off at the wall before you connect/disconnect HDMI cables.

TV Speakers - are usually pretty horrible, I'd be using the system at all times :)

Joe