LG BH9540 9.1-Channel All-in-One System Review

Hi DiNZi, I have just purchased the 9540 and although the general performance is good, it has failed to play a single video from my Synology NAS over network. Photos and audio work fine from my NAS , but when I choose any video( regardless of file type) the 9540 locks up and stops responding to any controls. The only way to return to normal is to press the on/off control for 5 seconds, and it switches off.
I have Emailed LG but after 6 days and no answer I am not very impressed with LG, this is my first LG purchase.............. I welcome comments from anyone with similar probs, any ideas??

Miffed OZZ

PS Has anyone connected an active subwoofer to their 9540??

Anyone else experiencing similar issues to Ozzie? I myself use a Netgear ReadyNAS which hasn't failed me with many Blu-Ray players, I hope I don't have the same issue.

Ozzie managed to fix his problem for those who are wanting to buy this system.

Can anybody give me the dimensions for the receiver? The wireless receiver that is, just want to see if it fits in my TV unit.

The wireless receiver does not go into the TV cabinet. It feeds the rear speakers via cables and plugs into a mains socket.

The wireless receiver does not go into the TV cabinet. It feeds the rear speakers via cables and plugs into a mains socket.

That's fine, it will still have to sit somewhere, just want to know if it will fit inside my glass TV unit, looks slightly taller than I thought in some other pictures.

After a few weeks of testing and using your LG BH9540 how are you finding it Robbie?

It's 24cms high, 19cms deep and 8cms wide. Mine sits on a small table between the rear speakers.

Thanks mate.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will fit in one of the spaces of my TV unit, never mind, will just have to sit beside the center speaker at the top.

u_21899175.jpg

If you place it there, you will have to run the wires from it to your rear speakers. The wireless receiver is also an amplifier for the rear speakers.

If you place it there, you will have to run the wires from it to your rear speakers. The wireless receiver is also an amplifier for the rear speakers.

I would put it at the back, but somebody told me it's best to have it in the front closer to the Player unit? Which does sound strange but if I am able to run the cables under the flooring which I did before, I will go down that route.

Hi all, can anyone confirm if the BH9540 supports Netflix (Australia)?

cheer's

Anyone know if you can remove the cap/plug for the Speaker wire? I need to drill a hole and pass this through to avoid making such a big hole, was wondering if it could be removed and re-inserted again?

I'm looking at buying this system but I just have a couple of questions.
Although it doesn't play 4K boy Ray's will it stream 4K from Netflix?
Also, the rear speakers are wireless but need a mains plug, but are they wired to each other or do they have independent wireless receivers? Thanks

Hi guys. This system is very interesting, I like the specs for € 600 (here in Italy) and the design with the "tallboy" speakers, easy to place around the room, especially behind the couches. The wireless connection is the most interesting feature. It's a pity that it's not compatible with Dolby Atmos / DTS:X. I wonder if LG will release a new model with similar design but compatible? I'm also drawn to the Onkyo HT-S5805, which has better specs and sound but no wireless (I'll have to pay an electrician to route the wires, hopefully we can use the TV antenna wiring as guide, I have a plug behind the tv and one behind the couch, they should meet somewhere...), the satellites require a stand or table and it costs actually a bit less (€ 540). What do you think?

I'm looking at buying this system but I just have a couple of questions.
Although it doesn't play 4K boy Ray's will it stream 4K from Netflix?
Also, the rear speakers are wireless but need a mains plug, but are they wired to each other or do they have independent wireless receivers? Thanks

The rear speakers are wired from the rear amplifier which needs a mains socket for power.

Do you know if this kit has 4K@60hz pass through?

Anyone know the best way to set this up on the Xbox one s please

In the end I bought this, I found an "open but never turned on" offer at a local online shop, paid just € 475 delivered!

@ Walters123: I use it with a PS4 and I guess it's the same.

Just plug the HDMI from the x-box in one of the two rear input ports on the LG. In the X-Box menu if you have an audio option use PCM which is lossless and 5.1 / 7.1 when available.

Connect the TV to the LG system with an HDMI cable.

Select the HDMI input on the LG.

That's it...simple and straight forward. No need to use optical cable or anything else.

I'm quite impressed with the system, I've used them for movies and tv series with dolby digital and dts audio tracks, the sound is balanced, voices are clear, bass are controlled, direction of the sound is precise.

Anyone know the best way to set this up on the Xbox one s please

one of the hdmi inputs on the back is labelled arc - this allows sound to go both ways through the cable so anything playing on the tv the sound will be played via the surround sound. it needs to the plugged into an arc compatible hdmi input on the tv, this is usually hdmi but you will need to check your manual.

the system should automatically detect that there is an arc signal and play the sound, sometimes it doesnt work though, i also have an optical cable running from the tv to surround unit as a back up.

In the end I bought this, I found an "open but never turned on" offer at a local online shop, paid just € 475 delivered!

@ Walters123: I use it with a PS4 and I guess it's the same.

Just plug the HDMI from the x-box in one of the two rear input ports on the LG. In the X-Box menu if you have an audio option use PCM which is lossless and 5.1 / 7.1 when available.

Connect the TV to the LG system with an HDMI cable.

Select the HDMI input on the LG.

That's it...simple and straight forward. No need to use optical cable or anything else.

I'm quite impressed with the system, I've used them for movies and tv series with dolby digital and dts audio tracks, the sound is balanced, voices are clear, bass are controlled, direction of the sound is precise.
Thanks dude got it all sorted now.

I've run out of space on my TV unit and just bought a D-Link DIR-868L Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Cloud Router, it would look best if I placed it sideways on the LG BH9540 unit.

My question is would this create any interference with the wireless signals to the rear Speakers?

Thanks.

Last edited:
^ Anyone please advise, appreciate it!

Hi DiNZi,
I have sold my LG system, but don't think you have to worry about interference.
I have 2 wifi routers and a wireless HDD set in my house, but never had conflicts with the LG.

Hi DiNZi,
I have sold my LG system, but don't think you have to worry about interference.
I have 2 wifi routers and a wireless HDD set in my house, but never had conflicts with the LG.

Yes i can confirm this. And i sold mine too....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom