LG BH7420P 3D Blu-ray Player and 5.1 Home Cinema System Review & Comments

Yeah similar noise although yours sounds really grinding. Mine sounds exactly like the video I put up, does yours sound like that too? Has it always done that noise since you bought the player?

Yeah it's done it since day one. It's just like the disc reader checking for a disc I think. I'm not worried about it :)

Yeah it's done it since day one. It's just like the disc reader checking for a disc I think. I'm not worried about it :)
Great, does yours sound exactly like mine in the video? the whirling noise and then the loud brrrrrrrrr.
Apart from this minor annoyance, i'm happy with the system! :)

Yeah that's the exact noise. Like you say, it's just part of the boot up :)
I'll leave it then, Iv'e got a years warranty so if it borks in by then so be it will be replaced! haha.

I must say i'm impressed with the playback on the LG smart 47" 3DTV I got, plays everything I throw at it including Full 1080p high bitrate m2ts (ps3 rips) mkvs, mp4s etc. No buffering issues whatsoever using the wireless on the TV. I would use Ethernet if I weren't using it for my Satelite receiver and cant be bothered using a switcher. Haven't tried using the bluray player except for making sure it actually works (Only have Jurassic park/fast and furious boxset and green mile on blueray). So only using the player for optical and a more modern and sweet looking set compared to my really old toshiba 5.1 system. It's a plus that the player decodes AAC 5.1 too! :D

Last edited:
You gotta get yourself some 3D blurays. Avatar is awesome. Transformers: Dark of the moon, also amazing!

My lass likes transformers. Yeah Avatar is one hell of a film for animation and picture quality. The problem is I have all that I would want in full HD rips anyway but when some are cheap as chips on bluray I will buy them just like I did a week or so ago with the 2 boxsets and green mile. :)
I have so many options of playing my media now, via the TV, bluray, satelite reciever via USB, via HDMI from my PC etc. It's a shame there is no cover/grills for the speakers and sub :(

A similar noise for me too.

I believe it's initialising and detecting that the blu ray drive is there.

Many computers do this if you have noticed before.

Hi

Does anyone know if this has Dolby pro logic 2 built in or are the only sound options those you cycle through using the sound effect button. My previous Samsung unit had pro logic 2 and made a reasonable job of making a stereo soundtrack seem like a surround one without just pushing the same thing coming from the front ones to the back ones... the closest I can find is natural plus but that seems to put the vocal track to the rear speakers which isn't what I want?? Other than that its an excellent system!

I think you have answered your own question, I noticed that myself, I tend to have my setting on Base at all times and I like having 2 channel content being sent to the rear speakers under the 5.1 base option. The problem with creating dolby pro logic from 2 channel content it tends to sound quite muffled and it feels a little mono and echo'y lol. [EDIT] At-least that's my experience with my last systems.

Hi, I have just purchased a LG BH7420P, and I am getting really disappointed as I can't get surround from my PC. I have a PC with a ATI HD5670, and I have connected with a HDMI cable on HDMI input 1 into the BH7420P and then HDMI to my LG LW650T, on windows 7 on my PC, on HDMI Audio output, my only options for speaker setup is Stereo, there is no quadraphonic or 5.1 Surround, when I look on properties it only shows max numbers of channels - 2, the bit rate are 32 / 44.1 / 48 Khz, the encoded formats supported are only dolby digital and DTS, I was expecting to see at least 6 channels, DTS HD, dolby digital +, dolby True HD, all audio formats supported by this home cinema system. I have tried many things, by installing HDMI audio drivers, AMD or Realtek, I have actually tried EDID overrrides, but I can't the surround to work.

I can see movies already encoded as DTS or dolby digital as 5.1 surround using fddshow audio encoder, but my point is I am not getting into the received 5.1 PCM audio. Does anyone have experienced or know if this possible with the device ?

Thanks

Have you selected your playback device as the AMD HDMI Audio out?

I have selected the playback device hdmi ou, I have tried with ati and realtek drivers but both only gives option of stereo when on windows, playback devices option configure. I have checked the Edid of my display (bh7420p), and I can see 5.1 on speakers, but the formats permitted are Dolby / dts 6 channels, but I have two entries for pcm but both with 2 c
hannels

Change the sound setting on the blu ray player? might be set to 2 channel instead of 5.1 bass boost etc. Everything works hunkydory for me via my HDMI from ATI HD5770 GPU. Alhough iv'e only tried 1080p ac3/aac 5.1 movies and were all showing as dolby digital 5.1 according to info on the blu-ray system. Standard channel content were shown as 2 channel PCM. Perhaps there is something wrong with your HDMI Cable?
Have you changed your TV optical out /sound settings? as it may be forcing everything that goes through the optical out to be PCM and not RAW audio to be decoded via your blu-ray?

Thanks, very much for your reply. When I play movies it works fine I can see it plays Dolby digital 5.1 but on games or any raw content I can only get PCM 2.0.

Ill have to try on mine, I tried GRID few weeks ago and i only got 2.0 PCM too.

I have the same problem, movies run fine that are DTS/AC3 5.1 but cannot get any games to output 5.1 all state 2.0PCM on the receiver. Grr.

Just purchased one of these systems Very impressive for the money. Front speakers, as reviewed, are a little plasticky, but seem sturdy enough. Love the small surrounds, which punch way above their weight. They look great wall mounted.
A lot quicker to boot up than my old LG system, and remote inputs are a lot slicker too.
A bit of a dust magnet though!!
A big :smashin:from me at this early stage.

Lol they are a dust magnet like haha. Anything black is :cool:

The only thing I dislike is it's a little slow to boot-up and in the menu it's not that fast neither. The remote is pretty poor too; the buttons feel cheaply made and don't feel sturdy enough (at-least compared to the TV remote) and allot of the time you feel like your having to press quite hard for it to read the press. But I just use my LG SMART 3DTV's SIMPLINK which enables me to use the TV remote to control the Bluray. Also sometimes use my lasses LG android app for both.

But yeah other than that it's pretty sh*thot!

I leave my system on 5.1 Bass & 3D Movie sound at all times.

Smiffy 2
A new LCD is like your wedding tackle.....once you've used it a few times you'll wish it was bigger
Your signature is correct lol. Going from a 32" to a 47" felt large for the first 2 days or so but now seems too small and wish I got the 55 or even bigger lol. Now when you go to someones place that has a 42/40 they look tiny and 32"s just look portable like now lol.

Last edited:
Hi, I have just purchased a LG BH7420P, and I am getting really disappointed as I can't get surround from my PC. I have a PC with a ATI HD5670, and I have connected with a HDMI cable on HDMI input 1 into the BH7420P and then HDMI to my LG LW650T, on windows 7 on my PC, on HDMI Audio output, my only options for speaker setup is Stereo, there is no quadraphonic or 5.1 Surround, when I look on properties it only shows max numbers of channels - 2, the bit rate are 32 / 44.1 / 48 Khz, the encoded formats supported are only dolby digital and DTS, I was expecting to see at least 6 channels, DTS HD, dolby digital +, dolby True HD, all audio formats supported by this home cinema system. I have tried many things, by installing HDMI audio drivers, AMD or Realtek, I have actually tried EDID overrrides, but I can't the surround to work.

I can see movies already encoded as DTS or dolby digital as 5.1 surround using fddshow audio encoder, but my point is I am not getting into the received 5.1 PCM audio. Does anyone have experienced or know if this possible with the device ?

Thanks
Xblade, you have the same problem as me, the only way to fix it is either buying a good motherboard with hdmi 1.4 or with a coax/optical connection or a soundcard which supports Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect. A quick fix is to buy an expensive soundcard like the Xonar HDAV1.3 or Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD which have a HDMI output. I believe there is only 2 soundcards of this type which output video/audio via HDMI otherwise their is many cheap alternatives but require either coax/optical cable to the reciever.
Dolby Digital Live encodes any audio signal on PC in real-time to Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 surround sounds to your home theater environment through one single S/PDIF connection.
DTS® Connect contains DTS Interactive Encoder and DTS Neo:pC technologies. DTS Interactive encodes any sound on PC to “DTS 5.1 Surround” high bitrate digital stream to your home theater through S/PDIF connection. DTS Neo:pC can convert stereo audio into 5.1 or 7.1-channel high-fidelity surround sounds.

Your graphics card outputs protected 7.1 over hdmi exactly like my HD5770.
Integrated HD audio controller
Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
This means that if it's not already encoded Dolby or DTS it will only output 2 channel stereo. Which is why you get 2.0 PCM. Protected means that only if it's Dolby Digital or DTS it will pass because it's like a certificate, or protocol if you like. Remember games have their own protected 5.1 sound which is why you need a way of decoding it. It's to do with money, patents and protected developments are a very profitable thing and Dolby and DTS make huge amounts of cash from it. Games are not encoded in Dolby Digital, they are typically PCM 2.0/5.0 so you need so a soundcard to encode it to Dolby Digital or DTS.
Failing that you can use the Dolby Digital Prologic feature on our receiver which from what I seen in the manual the best we can choose from for this is the Natural Plus setting which probably doesn't do the best of jobs. The Xbox360/PS3/Wii-U all have the same problem, console games are PCM 5.0 as-well but the consoles have audio cards which have realtime encoding hardware similar to Dolby Digital Live on a PC soundcard. It essentially converts the 5 PCM audio channels into Dolby Digital as you play. If you want this luxury on your PC then you need a soundcard like I mentioned earlier or a good motherboard. There is possibly a hack for what you want at the moment using something that converts the live audio signal on the fly to AC3 5.1 but it's sure as hell going to cause a big delay in sound.

Last edited:
Hiya guys,
Could somebody let me know if the centre speaker is wall mountable?

Hiya guys,
Could somebody let me know if the centre speaker is wall mountable?

Hi yes

The longer rectangular speaker has two screw holes allow you to mount.

Would assume you would need to drive two screws into the wall first leaving the screw heads exposed so you can hook the speaker on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom