• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG BD390 versus Pioneer BDP-LX52

millard35

Standard Member
I was thinking of upgrading my LG BD390 to a Pioneer BDP-LX52, can anyone advise me which one of the two has the better picture quality?

I was also wondering what opinions you guys had about comparing these players.

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
For blu ray , no player has any significant advantage over any other in terms of picture quality.

All players play back 1080p @24hz the same as any other , in other words , they are all pretty much faultless.

Where you might see a difference is in the picture quality of upscaled SD content and also in the playback quality of what file based content it can play. This being down to the proprietary and very different nature of most manufacturers upscaling chipsets

From experience with both of these players , believe it or not , the 390 outperforms the LX52 in a number of areas ,not least of which is versatility , but then , price is never any guarantee of quality.

If you want to upgrade from the 390 , you could do far worse than look at the Oppo players , which outperform the LX52 and its like by a very significant margin and at a fraction of the cost.

So , regarding BD playback , they are all much the same , for SD content and file based playback , the best bang for buck is undoubtedly the Oppo's , no other players can match them in terms of quality, versatility and price performance.

If your only thinking of spending to improve BD picture quality , forget it , you cant do that. Keep your money.

Last edited:

CJROSS

I'd concur with the advice above, save you money and look at audio improvements/universal playback Oppo is where I'd be looking. PQ wise I struggle to see a difference with my S760 over the LG - it is that good, both are stunning for BD/SD.

Andy the Oppo's are good I concede, but only if you are chasing Audio quality (from anlg outputs) & universal playback. Audio wise from BD all decks are equal from HDMI/SPDIF I'd suggest.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Andy the Oppo's are good I concede, but only if you are chasing Audio quality (from anlg outputs) & universal playback. Audio wise from BD all decks are equal from HDMI/SPDIF I'd suggest.

The Oppo has a few tricks up its sleeve in that department as well , including DSD passthrough from SACD. Thats a trick not many BD players can do , of course you need an amp that can handle that signal ....

It also has a Silicon image HDMI transmitter chipset , one of the absolute best on the market.

But in General , yes , pretty much all BD players are the same when it comes to playing back Blu rays , its what else they can do that differentiates them ... the Oppo is also a great CD player , SACD player , DVD audio player , which is the reason I chose it.

Last edited:

millard35

Standard Member
Would i notice much difference with upscaled SD content with an Oppo bd-83 compared to the LG BD390.

Not sure on whether to get a scond hand Oppo BD-83, any help would be much appreciated .

CJROSS

If you read the 390 owners threads, look out for a user called AWINK1 IIRC?.

Personally the only reason I'd be buying an Oppo is the audio side of SACD/DVD-A. But YMMV.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom