LG BD390 Owners Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Maris,

Bearing in mind that Amazon.de are currently selling it for 279 euros, you did very well indeed to find one for just 199 Euros.

If the price here in the UK started off at around £199 (which was the approx. selling price of the BD370, although it can now be found on Amazon.co.uk for £157) I can see it selling quite well, but not for a lot more than that, as the marketplace is now becoming more and more competitive, with new models being released by the likes of Samsung, Sony etc... not forgetting the cheaper 'clones' of course!

Indeed, that was a bargain. The player was available at computeruniverse.de for this price only for a couple of hours. Now it is 249 Euro plus shipping. This price is also not bad considering that the player is sold for more than 300 $ in the US.

Best regards, maris

I've been waiting for this player, like a lot of people, for as long as I can remember, and have been reading snippets of info found on a different forum (our American equivalent). Some of the American owners have stated problems such as lip sync issues and pop up icons that display during playback of certain movies. The pop up denotes angle change available or story board comparisons are available for that scene.
Of course I hope you don't experience any of these problems, but IF you do, would you let us Brits know?

Just tested lip sync with a DVD (Star Wars V) and compared synchronicity between the LG and my DVD player. It seems, there is a very minor lip sync deviation with the LG (maybe a couple of milliseconds), but you need to pay special attention to this to recognize it. I don't think this is an issue that bothers normal viewing.
So far, I did not notice any pop up icons during playback. I have read that this should be the case during scenes with different angles. I guess I do not have a DVD or BR with this feature.

Best regards, maris

hi maris have you tried any more blu-rays and have you managed to get hold of a hd mkv to see how the player plays them a 720p or a 1080p that would be great,ive still had no reply from lg uk .:mad:

I've still had no reply from lg uk .:mad:

Give them a chance... yesterday was Saturday, and today is Sunday! ;)

I doubt if the department which replies to such enquiries works seven days a week! :)

hi maris have you tried any more blu-rays and have you managed to get hold of a hd mkv to see how the player plays them a 720p or a 1080p that would be great,ive still had no reply from lg uk .:mad:

Played several blu-rays without any problems; no drop outs or anything else. It is amazing how quick the blu-rays are starting, usually faster than 15 sec. I do not have any hd mkv, but tried the DivX HD files from divx.com. Works perfect with 720p (Elephants dream) and with 1080p (Big Buck Bunny). No stuttering or artifacts, neither via DLNA streaming nor USB playback.

Best regards, maris

hi montala, you mean not everybody works 7 days week like me ,when did that happen:devil: they should especialy lg :rotfl:thanks for that maris looks like bd390 is gonna be a the swiss army knife of blu-ray players

I wonder whether this is the way BD is going, it will be good if it is, are other manufacturers going to follow suit?

I'm looking to buy a blue ray player in a month or two. Let's hope that this is available in the UK by then, or I'll be importing from Germany as well! :)

maris ... If I understood correctly, you live in the UK but bought this from the German website? I take it that the DVD player works in English and all for you? :)

No, I am living in Germany. But I do like this forum, so I am reading and posting here from time to time.

Best regards, maris

No, I am living in Germany. But I do like this forum, so I am reading and posting here from time to time.
Damn! (but thanks for the quick response!)

So, will the LG BD390 that you bought in Germany work in English and everything? I guess I am wondering if I might not just be able to buy it from Germany and have it shipped over here. :)

I'm looking to buy a blue ray player in a month or two. Let's hope that this is available in the UK by then, or I'll be importing from Germany as well! :)

maris ... If I understood correctly, you live in the UK but bought this from the German website? I take it that the DVD player works in English and all for you? :)

A BD player bought from Germany should work in the UK, the only thing you may have to do and that is change the power plug, which isn't too much of a problem in my mind.

Do you have a choice of either wired or wireless LAN/steaming with this player or has it got to be wireless?

You have the choice, and you should prefer wired LAN for streaming unless you have WLAN 802.11g or 802.11n, both supported by the player.

Sorry guys but I am very confused as to what the 390 can do that the 370 can't do, apart from wifi?

the bd390 is ntfs compatible which the bd370 is not meaning you are not limited to fat32 4gig file size ntfs no limit on file size. mkv staight out of the box with latest firmware, someone will correct me if im wrong

the bd390 is ntfs compatible which the bd370 is not meaning you are not limited to fat32 4gig file size ntfs no limit on file size. mkv staight out of the box with latest firmware, someone will correct me if im wrong

I think you are right on that (about the BD370 vs. BD390). However, you are sorta wrong on the 4 GB limit on FAT32. That limit is artificially imposed by Windows. To bypass it all you have to do is format with another utility.

I recently used EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition to format a 1/2 Terabyte drive into ONE BIG PARTITION. :)

Now, pretty please LG, can you PLEASE bring the lovely BD390 to the United Kingdom?!? :thumbsup:

However, you are sorta wrong on the 4 GB limit on FAT32.

No he's right:rotfl:
Try moving a single 4GB+ size file to your 500GB drive. Test it, it won't work.

You can use various software to format a hard drive to any size Fat32 partition you want it to be, but you can still only transfer files that are under 4GB to that hard drive, no matter what size the partition is.

It just won't do it :smashin:
The windows limitation you mention is the inability to create partitions bigger than 32GB in windows. This is not the same thing dazm41 was talking about.

Last edited:
Yep, you guys are right, I am wrong... Actually, I am right and you guys are right as well!! I just should actually READ before I type so that I don't look so silly... :)

Yes, I did mean partitions. I think the FAT32 limit is 32 GB or something..... :)

Great feature to have on the LG...I wish the PS3 would support NTFS:(

i want an affordable device that plays blurays and the mkv's i have sitting on an external harddrive.

got really excited when i heard about this player as it was everything i was looking for....! so where is it LG?!?

Thanks for that and the other posters.

I am going to sound thick but I am still not sure I should wait for the 390. Compared to the 370 (if I won't cable to my network) is the only benefit as follows:

If I have a MKV file on my PC, I don't need to put it on a stick or burn it on a DVD as the 390 will stream it wirelessly from my PC? I assume I will need a N router then, not just simply a G? Do I also need a network drive or will any har disk on a PC in the network do?

With a 370, I will need to burn a DVD or put it on a stick obviously, providing the file is less than 4GB? If the file is more than 4GB I simply won't be able to play it on the 370 regardless? Or would it play if I connect the 370 to the network through the ethernet port?

What's the size of a MKV file that contains a 2 hour 720p movie, out of interest ?

That's 7 questions. I apologise again !!!!!

most 720p mkv features are around 4.4 gbs. 1080p ones are somewhere over 8gb.

if the 370 can only play those from burnt disks it all seems a tad pointless.

is their any other blueray player (except the fabled 390) that can play mkv's from a hard drive and multiregion blurays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom