LG BD370 Owners Thread Pt. 2

I called LG tech support and asked for status on the MKV issue. The guy I talked to knew a lot about the player (BD370) and video formats, but he was't aware of the issue with artifacts when playing mkv's. He asked me what video codec is used in the mkv files. I said x.264, but I wasn't sure. Is that correct? He said x.264 wasn't on the list of supported video codecs, only h.264.

Can anyone explain this to me, please?

"x264 is software for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format."

Last edited:
I called LG tech support and asked for status on the MKV issue. The guy I talked to knew a lot about the player (BD370) and video formats, but he was't aware of the issue with artifacts when playing mkv's. He asked me what video codec is used in the mkv files. I said x.264, but I wasn't sure. Is that correct? He said x.264 wasn't on the list of supported video codecs, only h.264.

Can anyone explain this to me, please?

and therefore h.264 is the codec.

What you should have done is made some legal mkv files that produce artifacts and then ask the LG Support guy to play them on the BD370.

Ok I've tried to convert a new mkv which plays with terrible glitches or artefacts (I've tried playing it via USB and burning it onto DVD). Seems like the BD370 is struggling to decode the MKV files. The VLC player on my PC plays this mkv without a problem. I tried to recode the MKV using "uncropmkv" as per reccomnedation of DV8TED previously but the uncropmkv said that this new mkv is not compatible since it is a 1280X543 instead of 1280X720as per my older mkv files. I think the newer mkv files are now made without bothering to code for the black bars top and bottom and hence the files turn out to be 543 lines high instead of 720 lines. This might be confusing the LG player. Any help on how to get uncropmkv to accept a mkv file with 1280X543 would be greaty appreciated. I'm new to uncropmkv. Thanks

Ok I've tried to convert a new mkv which plays with terrible glitches or artefacts (I've tried playing it via USB and burning it onto DVD). Seems like the BD370 is struggling to decode the MKV files. The VLC player on my PC plays this mkv without a problem. I tried to recode the MKV using "uncropmkv" as per reccomnedation of DV8TED previously but the uncropmkv said that this new mkv is not compatible since it is a 1280X543 instead of 1280X720as per my older mkv files. I think the newer mkv files are now made without bothering to code for the black bars top and bottom and hence the files turn out to be 543 lines high instead of 720 lines. This might be confusing the LG player. Any help on how to get uncropmkv to accept a mkv file with 1280X543 would be greaty appreciated. I'm new to uncropmkv. Thanks

Just ignore the message and go on with encoding (push queue and after that start). The ouput will be 1280x720 (uncropMKV will add the black borders).

Just ignore the message and go on with encoding (push queue and after that start). The ouput will be 1280x720 (uncropMKV will add the black borders).

Its important to note that using the convert method with uncropmkv reduces the quality quite a bit

Its important to note that using the convert method with uncropmkv reduces the quality quite a bit

Only just a little, little bit (i've noticed no quality issues on my Sony 46Z4500) if quality "1 pass fast" and the original bitrate (use MediaInfo to view) is used. Even Turbo quality looks oke here.

Just a point to note..but I've downloaded a few new mkvs this week and the odd one works without re-encoding. Not sure why though.

That's because the SCENE group is using an older build of the encoder. This past week i downloaded the latest ep. of Mercy in 720p from DIMENSION....it's pixalated. Another SCENE group released Make It Or Break It in 720p and it played fine, the previous week the same show from a different group was pixelated.

:mad:

They don't!....it's just the file you have was encoded using an older build of x264. by "new" you mean when a file was made/uploaded....but the encoder they use is an old build, newly uploaded files using new x264 builds won't play.

I see...agree with you..its a real shame all of this as its a top player otherwise

Only just a little, little bit (i've noticed no quality issues on my Sony 46Z4500) if quality "1 pass fast" and the original bitrate (use MediaInfo to view) is used. Even Turbo quality looks oke here.

Ahh so you would change to the bit rate of the file in kbps and put it where its defaulted to 4000?

for those who just happen to stumble upon this thread's latest pages: x.264 is not a codec, it's an encoder library that encodes video to h.264/AVC codec: the very same codec that is used on both blu-ray discs and mkvs...

Will the .mkv issue ever get resolved?...or is it a hardware based issue?
Considering that the BD 350 models from september or later support weightp=2-encoded .mkvs, whereas earlier models don't, even if they upgrade to the newest firmware, I think we can now safely say that it is a hardware issue and will NOT be resolved.

I suggest everyone who bought the 370 for .mkv playback to sell it and get a 350 or 390 instead.

That's because the S******** <snip>

it played fine, the previous week the same show from a different group was pixelated.

Please do not discuss such topics in this thread as you are liable to get it closed and locked and it would be a shame after such useful contributions from its posters, we want this to continue. Its a strictly legit forum. Suggest you edit the post and sharpish.

:nono:

Considering that the BD 350 models from september or later support weightp=2-encoded .mkvs, whereas earlier models don't, even if they upgrade to the newest firmware, I think we can now safely say that it is a hardware issue and will NOT be resolved.

I suggest everyone who bought the 370 for .mkv playback to sell it and get a 350 or 390 instead.

are you guaranteed to get a post september BD350 if you buy it new. Going to be a bit of a faff to try and make sure you do.

I hear what you are saying though. I'm still keeping the BD370 tho as I can put up with having to re-encode if necessary.

anyone succeeded in downgrading BD370V (US version) ?

my firmware version is 8.08.017B

i want to downgrade my BD player..!

and therefore h.264 is the codec.

What you should have done is made some legal mkv files that produce artifacts and then ask the LG Support guy to play them on the BD370.

I talked to LG a few days ago explaining that BD370 is not longer playing mkv's with h.264 codec. The guy I talked to agreed that the player should support mkv's with this codec and said he would check it out.

LG Tech support nordic called back today and said they will fix it on next firmware update (!)

I talked to LG a few days ago explaining that BD370 is not longer playing mkv's with h.264 codec. The guy I talked to agreed that the player should support mkv's with this codec and said he would check it out.

LG Tech support nordic called back today and said they will fix it on next firmware update (!)

If wishes were horses.....;) Could you please ask them for the NTFS support too...? Jokes apart, I really appreciate your efforts to corner LG into making a statement like that...Let's hope they keep their word !! :devil:

ok here a new problem...

Edited By Bald Monkey: Discussion of ilegal downloads is not allowed on AVforums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear DV8Ted, that is exactly what I got as well. It says that the 1280X544 lines is not valid. When I press start, within a quick split second it produces a file which is "0" byte. Nothing. I think we will have to wait for LG to come up with an update. These newer mkvs irrespective whether they are loaded onto usb thumbdrive or burnt onto dvd-r produces the same glitches on lgbd370. They are however glitch free if you use VideoLAN on the PC. THe older mkvs are still working fine on the LGBD370.

Im praying this will be fixed as once again ive converted a file using uncrop and its nowhere near HD quality

Dear DV8Ted, that is exactly what I got as well. It says that the 1280X544 lines is not valid. When I press start, within a quick split second it produces a file which is "0" byte. Nothing. I think we will have to wait for LG to come up with an update. These newer mkvs irrespective whether they are loaded onto usb thumbdrive or burnt onto dvd-r produces the same glitches on lgbd370. They are however glitch free if you use VideoLAN on the PC. THe older mkvs are still working fine on the LGBD370.

Robert, the file i was using had a proper 1280x720 resolution( no black bars here on a widescreen tv)...there was no change in resolution to be affected..but i was having the same 0 byte file being produced. I have encoded a different file before with the same resolution and it has gone through the hoops absolutely fine. I guess it is a problem with this particular file.

All right..here's the solution to all those having a problem with uncropMKV, not working..creating a 0kb file and making our lives miserable.

Irresepective of whether you're on Win 7 or XP.

1.Go to add remove programs : remove the following programs : AviSynth,Haali Splitter and FFDShow

2.Restart the PC

3. Download the programs again (I'm not sure if i'm allowed to give the links)

4. Install AviSynth,Haali Splitter and FFDShow again

5. Start uncropMKV..and load a file..you should be able to see the preview and everything should be working fine again.

PS. follow steps 3-5 if you dont have the programs in your add remove programs !!

The problem lies with probably another program overwriting or changing something which was causing the problem. I installed Handbrake to see whether it would fix it, but even after updating all the essentials...no go !! Following the steps above...did the trick !! :thumbsup:

A shout to RobertChan and MOFOS who were facing the same problem...I shall await a reply from you :hiya:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom