LG BD 550 Blu-ray picture jerking problems. Please help!

Ashisarobot

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board and a complete Blu-ray newbie, so please go easy on me!:)

I've recently picked up an LG BD Blu-ray player from Asda for what I considered to be the bargain price of £87 pounds.
It was to be my entry into the wonderful world of Blu-ray.
Trouble is upon loading up one of the free discs( Sherlock Holmes) I noticed some severe "jerking" in scenes where there were quick pans or zoom shots.
From reading related problems from other posters, I imagine it is to do with 2:3 pulldown issues.

My TV is a Polaroid Definia which to my knowledge only supports a 1080i signal and the Blu-ray player is connected to it via a HDMI cable.

Please could someone offer any advice on how I could rectify this problem.

Please could you explain it to me in real layman's terms, as I'm a bit of a luddite.:)

As a side note, I notice there isn't a problem when upscaling DVD's I assume this is due to them not being in 1080p.

Thank you so much for your time.:)

My TV is a Polaroid Definia which to my knowledge only supports a 1080i signal and the Blu-ray player is connected to it via a HDMI cable.

Please could someone offer any advice on how I could rectify this problem.

Please could you explain it to me in real layman's terms, as I'm a bit of a luddite.:)

As a side note, I notice there isn't a problem when upscaling DVD's I assume this is due to them not being in 1080p.

Thank you so much for your time.:)

Does the player allow you set the output resolution ? If so try 720p rather than 1080i as this avoids having to reinterlace and deinterlace which can be an issue with 1080i on some products.

2:3 pulldown is used to output 24 frame material at 60hz by repeating the 24 frames in an unqual 2:3 grouping cycle. Most Blu-ray material us 1080p/24 and if your display doesn't support 24hz input you may notice judder/stutter during motion. If the issue you're seeing is due to 2:3 pull down there's not a lot you can do bar changing the display.

2:3 Pulldown isn't used with film on PAL DVD because the film is sped up during transfer the process to 25 frames allowing an equal 2:2 repeat cycle at 50hz and avoiding 2:3 pulldown judder.

Avi

Does the player allow you set the output resolution ? If so try 720p rather than 1080i as this avoids having to reinterlace and deinterlace which can be an issue with 1080i on some products.

2:3 pulldown is used to output 24 frame material at 60hz by repeating the 24 frames in an unqual 2:3 grouping cycle. Most Blu-ray material us 1080p/24 and if your display doesn't support 24hz input you may notice judder/stutter during motion. If the issue you're seeing is due to 2:3 pull down there's not a lot you can do bar changing the display.

2:3 Pulldown isn't used with film on PAL DVD because the film is sped up during transfer the process to 25 frames allowing an equal 2:2 repeat cycle at 50hz and avoiding 2:3 pulldown judder.

Avi

Thank you so much for your help.

I've tried setting to 720p but I still experience the same problem
As I expected the issue seems to be my LCD TV as it appears not to feature 24hz playback-looks like it's time for a new TV.

Many thanks again!:thumbsup:

Thank you so much for your help.

I've tried setting to 720p but I still experience the same problem
As I expected the issue seems to be my LCD TV as it appears not to feature 24hz playback-looks like it's time for a new TV.

Many thanks again!:thumbsup:

Maybe your TV cannot handle 24fps. If possible try turning the 24fps option OFF in the Blu-ray player...

Hi,
I bought the lg bd 550 and noticed the same problem : the picture jerks during fast pans and zooms.
I changed the 50 hz setting to 24 hz on the blu ray player and the problem was solved.
It's quite strange since the lg blu ray player is linked to my lg 50 hz flat screen tv...

I've just bought an LG BD555 Blu-ray player to use with my LG 37" 37lh3000 TV, and I too have noticed jerkiness on full screen panning scenes. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I change the Blu-ray options to 720P or 24hz instead of 50. What can I do to help with this jerkiness please? It only seems to be on full screen panning.

Just bought an LG BD555, same issue. My TV is an LG but it doesn't support 24hz (fps?) playback. Doesn't matter what settings I use I can't get rid of the micro pausing!

I know its not the TV as I previously had a Phillips that played back flawlessly!

HELP!

Cheers

I was able to solve this issue, and now my blu-rays play nice and smooth. There is a setting in the LG 555 blu-ray player, to change it to 24hz. You may have to restart your machine after you've changed it, or turn it off, switch the TV over to the correct input channel and turn the blu-ray player back on, the TV may then auto change. There was no setting on my TV I don't think, it reacted instead (I assume) to me changing the blu-ray player setting. Occasionally (rarely) the picture is jerky again, and on checking the TV, it will show it's at 50hz, but changing the sequence of devices as mentioned above cures it.

Cheers for the reply pbar but too be honest I couldn't be bothered with all the messing about if it went again.

Took it back and exchanged it for the Phillips BDP3100/05, the unit doesn't look as slick as the LG but the playback is excellent. Was going to go for the Sony s370 but read horror stories about the noise the unit generates during disc play...that sort of stuff does my head in!!

Again thanks for the quick reply :)

That's ok, you're sorted now. I'm very pleased with the LG. Really, there's no 'messing about', the chances are your Philips simply as the 24hz setting by default, whereas in the LG you change it yourself. Takes about 5 seconds and you do it just once.

Can't fully agree with you pbar...my TV doesn't have 1080p/24 support (as in the Hz isn't a direct multiple of 24...someone correct me if I'm wrong, or confirm if I'm correct). Also with the LG BD555 if you set it to 24hz it will default to 50hz if your TV doesn't support it, says so in the read me.

Apart from that, even at the entry level (which we very much are) if I'm spending 3 figures on a player I'd expect to just be able to plug it in and go. Shouldn't have to be messing about and worrying about which order I turn everything on.

Again tho thanks for the advice, it's appriciated. May your LG live a long and fruitful life lol.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the turning on sequence, as I fear I put you off a little. It's very rare (in fact, think I've only ever done it once), and most likely you'd never have to.

Concerning the 24hz though, your TV must support it, otherwise every blu-ray player you try would do the same, i.e. have jerkiness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom