lg b9 oled with samsung soundbar

nalla1112

Novice Member
hi all, recently had a problem with my oled b9, i swapped from samsung to lg over a year ago, and i had a samsung sound bar already, so i connected that to my oled, and it worked fine for 12 month or so, anyway a few weeks ago the sound started to come out of the internal speaker, so i went into settings, under recently used devices is my soundbar, so click connect via bluetooth, works fine until i turn off the tv, and it forgets the sound bar, so now every time i turn off the sound bar i have to go into settings and reconnect, i can connect via optical, but cannot adjust the sound via the lg remote, any ideas would be appreciated.

next010

Distinguished Member
Unplug both TV and soundbar from power at the wall (remote is not enough) and leave it for 5 minutes before turning back on, that can sometimes clear HDMI-CEC sync issues, maybe it will work for you.

Failing that try a factory reset of the TV, also check for any firmware updates to the Samsung soundbar.

Does soundbar not have a HDMI-ARC connection ? I'd use that over optical.

nalla1112

Novice Member
Unplug both TV and soundbar from power at the wall (remote is not enough) and leave it for 5 minutes before turning back on, that can sometimes clear HDMI-CEC sync issues, maybe it will work for you.

Failing that try a factory reset of the TV, also check for any firmware updates to the Samsung soundbar.

Does soundbar not have a HDMI-ARC connection ? I'd use that over optical.
Ok ill try that cheers. I have triex hdmiarc but couldnt get it to work. Ill try again cheers

nalla1112

Novice Member
ok, i have unplugged everything, and tried again, when i plug hdmi arc cable in, tv shows hdmi2 is now available, set up hdmi arc, magic remote works with sound bar ie volume up and down, but still no sound, a friend of mine just bough an lg oled, and he stated he had to enable hdmi arc in advanced settings, but i cannot find any advanced settings only additional settings and no hdmi arc option in that menu. any help would be appreciated.

next010

Distinguished Member
ok, i have unplugged everything, and tried again, when i plug hdmi arc cable in, tv shows hdmi2 is now available, set up hdmi arc, magic remote works with sound bar ie volume up and down, but still no sound, a friend of mine just bough an lg oled, and he stated he had to enable hdmi arc in advanced settings, but i cannot find any advanced settings only additional settings and no hdmi arc option in that menu. any help would be appreciated.

In LG WebOS HDMI-CEC is called LG Simplink and should be enabled, this is what gives the TV control over the soundbar, when using ARC the soundbar should change to a TV or ARC labelled input.

If it hasnt you may need to change it manually using the input select on the sounbars own remote.

These are the settings to use in LG WebOS.
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = auto
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = disabled

nalla1112

Novice Member
In LG WebOS HDMI-CEC is called LG Simplink and should be enabled, this is what gives the TV control over the soundbar, when using ARC the soundbar should change to a TV or ARC labelled input.

If it hasnt you may need to change it manually using the input select on the sounbars own remote.

These are the settings to use in LG WebOS.
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = auto
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = disabled
cheers for reply's, tried all of the above with no success, only way i can connect is via Bluetooth and the sound is very slightly out, so now I'm thinking of swapping to an lg sound bar or possibly something else if I can guarantee it'll work properly, any suggestions around the £350 mark, also looking at the sound settings above, dont think mine has earc as its only a b9, my other screen has but i use that for my pc so not need for sound bar

nalla1112

Novice Member
ok just had 1 last try, still no joy, i also tried my high speed hdmi cable off my pc with no joy, when i plug the cable in the tv says hdmi is available, the volume counter goes up and down with the magic remote but no sound, also where you say additional settings/hdmi input audio format = bitstream, i cannot change this setting for some reason.

next010

Distinguished Member
ok just had 1 last try, still no joy, i also tried my high speed hdmi cable off my pc with no joy, when i plug the cable in the tv says hdmi is available, the volume counter goes up and down with the magic remote but no sound, also where you say additional settings/hdmi input audio format = bitstream, i cannot change this setting for some reason.

If the soundbar has optical you could try that but if that also fails then there isnt much else you can do.

For £350 get any LG soundbar that fits within your budget, but I would only use it for stereo it will be better at than than surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom